GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Heavy Weapon - 360 Live Arcade"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Heavy Weapon'.
Sun 28/01/07 at 19:44
Regular
"Braaains"
I originally wasn't planning on buying Heavy Weapon, because it's from PopCap games, the company that stole Mitchell Corporation's PuzzLoop and re-sold it as 'Zuma'. But I'm ashamed to say my ethics went right out of the window once I downloaded the Heavy Weapon demo off Live and realized just how addictive the game is. A purchase naturally followed, and I've been playing it off and online ever since. It's not a complicated game by any means, and resembles nothing so much as the mutant child of Moon Cresta and Xenon 2. Which, for anyone who didn't grow up with Knight Rider, Wacaday and Terry's Pyramint, means it's a side-scrolling shoot-em-up which has you blasting way across a variety of levels, upgrading your weapons as you go and confronting the occasional boss. Your means of transport is not a spaceship, or a moon buggy but rather a super powered vehicle known as 'Atomic Tank'. As you might have guessed, this isn't a game that takes itself all that seriously.

Given the durability of your vehicle, you don't have to worry about bursting a tire as you roll your way through the levels. In fact, the levels themselves are totally devoid of obstacles so you don't have to keep your eye on the road at all. No, in this game the threat comes from above, in the same of bombers, fighter jets, aliens, giant apes and more. Some can be annihilated with just a few shots, while others are more resilient. And you'll have plenty of annihilating to do, as Heavy Weapon throws more and more bad guys at you as the game goes on. To the point where you can't imagine ever surviving till the game's final boss on level nineteen - this is real old-school shoot-em-up action.

Should you find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer number of foes in Heavy Weapon, all is not lost. You can enlist a second player to fight with you, who can help even up the odds a little, or you can go online and fight alongside up to three other people. It's a little disappointing that the online mode doesn't let you play individual missions - instead you just end up facing off against an endless wave of increasingly powerful foes. Though at least the online mode does actually work properly, unlike Assault Heroes' co-op mode which has been broken since the game's release.

Some people might be put off by Heavy Weapon's cartoony graphics, a direct contrast to the 3D graphics of Assault Heroes, but bear in mind the game did start life as a flash game. And it'd be a real shame to overlook it because of that. Heavy Weapon is great value at 800 Microsoft Points and is a game that you'll find yourself coming back to again and again. Just don't expect it to be an easy ride.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 28/01/07 at 19:44
Regular
"Braaains"
I originally wasn't planning on buying Heavy Weapon, because it's from PopCap games, the company that stole Mitchell Corporation's PuzzLoop and re-sold it as 'Zuma'. But I'm ashamed to say my ethics went right out of the window once I downloaded the Heavy Weapon demo off Live and realized just how addictive the game is. A purchase naturally followed, and I've been playing it off and online ever since. It's not a complicated game by any means, and resembles nothing so much as the mutant child of Moon Cresta and Xenon 2. Which, for anyone who didn't grow up with Knight Rider, Wacaday and Terry's Pyramint, means it's a side-scrolling shoot-em-up which has you blasting way across a variety of levels, upgrading your weapons as you go and confronting the occasional boss. Your means of transport is not a spaceship, or a moon buggy but rather a super powered vehicle known as 'Atomic Tank'. As you might have guessed, this isn't a game that takes itself all that seriously.

Given the durability of your vehicle, you don't have to worry about bursting a tire as you roll your way through the levels. In fact, the levels themselves are totally devoid of obstacles so you don't have to keep your eye on the road at all. No, in this game the threat comes from above, in the same of bombers, fighter jets, aliens, giant apes and more. Some can be annihilated with just a few shots, while others are more resilient. And you'll have plenty of annihilating to do, as Heavy Weapon throws more and more bad guys at you as the game goes on. To the point where you can't imagine ever surviving till the game's final boss on level nineteen - this is real old-school shoot-em-up action.

Should you find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer number of foes in Heavy Weapon, all is not lost. You can enlist a second player to fight with you, who can help even up the odds a little, or you can go online and fight alongside up to three other people. It's a little disappointing that the online mode doesn't let you play individual missions - instead you just end up facing off against an endless wave of increasingly powerful foes. Though at least the online mode does actually work properly, unlike Assault Heroes' co-op mode which has been broken since the game's release.

Some people might be put off by Heavy Weapon's cartoony graphics, a direct contrast to the 3D graphics of Assault Heroes, but bear in mind the game did start life as a flash game. And it'd be a real shame to overlook it because of that. Heavy Weapon is great value at 800 Microsoft Points and is a game that you'll find yourself coming back to again and again. Just don't expect it to be an easy ride.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.