GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just Dance"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Just Dance'.
Mon 01/02/10 at 11:54
"possibly impossible"
“I like to move it, move it.” A phrase that has now been made synonymous with Madagascar for youngsters everywhere. But it’s also possibly the best title to sum up this new dancing game from Ubisoft.

It may be a casual gaming delight, but for a simple dancing game to knock a huge titles like Modern Warfare 2 off the multiformat chart in a week means there must be something to it, right?

Just Wave Frantically
Forget mats, forget add-ons, even forget buying extra Nunchuks, Just Dance uses a Wii Remote for each player and that’s pretty much it.

The game shows you an on screen silhouette of a dancer, with the up-coming next move along the bottom of the screen, a bit like a dance mat game showing you which arrow is coming next. All you have to do is hold the Wii Remote and copy the move. Simple.

There are no hidden catches, no complicated shape making mini-games and no other gimmicks, it pretty much does what it says on the tin (ok, game box).

Just Missed Out
Unfortunately, this is a sans-Motionplus game which also means that you’re never going to have the Wii Remote tracked 100% of the time. In turn, this means that you will find yourself doing exactly the same move on a couple of occasions and getting different results from the game, it may give you a Perfect on the first occasion and nothing on the second. But don’t let this put you off, it’s more likely (well, it was in my household) that you’ll be too busy catching up with the moves to notice and the audience will be too busy rolling about on the floor laughing their socks off.

Just copy everyone else
Ubisoft have decided that their style is basically to nick the menus off Singstar and the dancers off those catchy iPod adverts. It’s sneaky but it works. While the menus are basic, so basic that it takes you 10 seconds from first starting the game to getting a song going, they do their job and the dancers are all decked out in relevant gear for their song. There is even one dressed as a dog for Who Let The Dogs Out. Really!

Other than this it’s all just the bare minimum and you know what? It just doesn’t matter in a game like this.

Just put a song on
Probably the most important thing about any dancing game is the track listing. Just Dance goes for an eclectic mix of songs to suit almost all tastes. Madonna? Check, Kylie? Check, Blur? Check. It’s a good selection with the only issue being that you won’t find a download store on this game, what you get on the disc is what you’re stuck with (which leads me to believe there may well be a sequel in the works already).

The full track list is as follows:
• in the 80’s – Calvin Harris
• A Little Less Conversation – Elvis Presley
• Bebe – Divine Brown
• Can’t Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
• Cotton Eye Joe – Rednex
• Hot n’ Cold – Katy Perry
• Dare – Gorillaz
• Eye of the Tiger – Survivor (Rocky)
• Fame – In the style of Irene Cara (cover)
• Funplex CSS – The B 52’s
• Girls and Boys – Blur
• Girls Just Want to Have Fun – Cindi Lauper
• Groove is in the Heart – Dee-Lite
• Heart of Glass – Blondie
• I Get Around – The Beach Boys
• I Like to Move it – Reel To Real
• Jerk it Out – Caesars
• Jin Go Lo Ba – Fat Boy Slim
• Kids in America – Kim Wilde
• Le Freak – Chic
• Louie Louie – Iggy Pop
• Lump – The Presidents Of The USA
• Mashed Potato Time – Dee Dee Sharp
• Pump up the Jam – Technotronic
• Ring My Bell – Anita Ward
• Step by Step – New Kids On The Block
• Surfin’ Bird – The Trashmen
• That’s the Way (I Like it) – Kc & The Sunshine Band
• U Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
• Wannabe – The Spice Girls
• Who Let the Dogs Out? – Baha Men
• Womanizer – In the style of Britney Spears (cover)

Other than the 2 covers the rest are all by original artists and even the covers aren’t bad.

Just tell me if it’s good or not?!
You’d think the basic design, occasional lack of response from the Wii Remote and no downloadable songs would prevent Just Dance getting very far, but a quick play will tell you that Ubisoft have unleashed a monster.

This game isn’t selling on TV hype alone, this is something people are experiencing, usually at a friend’s house or a party, and then going out to buy. As for me, well my 5 year old took to it straight away, my wife couldn’t stop dancing until she was exhausted and I must have danced to Move It! About a million times already. Somehow this game is just plain addictive, and it really feels like you’re getting fit from it.

Throw away that balance board (unless Ubisoft decide to use it for the inevitable sequel), this game is fun and will keep you fit at the same time. If you own a Wii and like dancing just go and buy it, hell, even if you don’t like dancing this game may well get you to move your feet to the beat.

In short, aside from the annoying issues which mark the score down, Just Dance is just brilliant, now excuse me while I go and practice my Cotton Eye Joe dance again…

8/10
Mon 01/02/10 at 11:54
"possibly impossible"
“I like to move it, move it.” A phrase that has now been made synonymous with Madagascar for youngsters everywhere. But it’s also possibly the best title to sum up this new dancing game from Ubisoft.

It may be a casual gaming delight, but for a simple dancing game to knock a huge titles like Modern Warfare 2 off the multiformat chart in a week means there must be something to it, right?

Just Wave Frantically
Forget mats, forget add-ons, even forget buying extra Nunchuks, Just Dance uses a Wii Remote for each player and that’s pretty much it.

The game shows you an on screen silhouette of a dancer, with the up-coming next move along the bottom of the screen, a bit like a dance mat game showing you which arrow is coming next. All you have to do is hold the Wii Remote and copy the move. Simple.

There are no hidden catches, no complicated shape making mini-games and no other gimmicks, it pretty much does what it says on the tin (ok, game box).

Just Missed Out
Unfortunately, this is a sans-Motionplus game which also means that you’re never going to have the Wii Remote tracked 100% of the time. In turn, this means that you will find yourself doing exactly the same move on a couple of occasions and getting different results from the game, it may give you a Perfect on the first occasion and nothing on the second. But don’t let this put you off, it’s more likely (well, it was in my household) that you’ll be too busy catching up with the moves to notice and the audience will be too busy rolling about on the floor laughing their socks off.

Just copy everyone else
Ubisoft have decided that their style is basically to nick the menus off Singstar and the dancers off those catchy iPod adverts. It’s sneaky but it works. While the menus are basic, so basic that it takes you 10 seconds from first starting the game to getting a song going, they do their job and the dancers are all decked out in relevant gear for their song. There is even one dressed as a dog for Who Let The Dogs Out. Really!

Other than this it’s all just the bare minimum and you know what? It just doesn’t matter in a game like this.

Just put a song on
Probably the most important thing about any dancing game is the track listing. Just Dance goes for an eclectic mix of songs to suit almost all tastes. Madonna? Check, Kylie? Check, Blur? Check. It’s a good selection with the only issue being that you won’t find a download store on this game, what you get on the disc is what you’re stuck with (which leads me to believe there may well be a sequel in the works already).

The full track list is as follows:
• in the 80’s – Calvin Harris
• A Little Less Conversation – Elvis Presley
• Bebe – Divine Brown
• Can’t Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
• Cotton Eye Joe – Rednex
• Hot n’ Cold – Katy Perry
• Dare – Gorillaz
• Eye of the Tiger – Survivor (Rocky)
• Fame – In the style of Irene Cara (cover)
• Funplex CSS – The B 52’s
• Girls and Boys – Blur
• Girls Just Want to Have Fun – Cindi Lauper
• Groove is in the Heart – Dee-Lite
• Heart of Glass – Blondie
• I Get Around – The Beach Boys
• I Like to Move it – Reel To Real
• Jerk it Out – Caesars
• Jin Go Lo Ba – Fat Boy Slim
• Kids in America – Kim Wilde
• Le Freak – Chic
• Louie Louie – Iggy Pop
• Lump – The Presidents Of The USA
• Mashed Potato Time – Dee Dee Sharp
• Pump up the Jam – Technotronic
• Ring My Bell – Anita Ward
• Step by Step – New Kids On The Block
• Surfin’ Bird – The Trashmen
• That’s the Way (I Like it) – Kc & The Sunshine Band
• U Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
• Wannabe – The Spice Girls
• Who Let the Dogs Out? – Baha Men
• Womanizer – In the style of Britney Spears (cover)

Other than the 2 covers the rest are all by original artists and even the covers aren’t bad.

Just tell me if it’s good or not?!
You’d think the basic design, occasional lack of response from the Wii Remote and no downloadable songs would prevent Just Dance getting very far, but a quick play will tell you that Ubisoft have unleashed a monster.

This game isn’t selling on TV hype alone, this is something people are experiencing, usually at a friend’s house or a party, and then going out to buy. As for me, well my 5 year old took to it straight away, my wife couldn’t stop dancing until she was exhausted and I must have danced to Move It! About a million times already. Somehow this game is just plain addictive, and it really feels like you’re getting fit from it.

Throw away that balance board (unless Ubisoft decide to use it for the inevitable sequel), this game is fun and will keep you fit at the same time. If you own a Wii and like dancing just go and buy it, hell, even if you don’t like dancing this game may well get you to move your feet to the beat.

In short, aside from the annoying issues which mark the score down, Just Dance is just brilliant, now excuse me while I go and practice my Cotton Eye Joe dance again…

8/10
Mon 01/02/10 at 13:01
Regular
"And in last place.."
If ever a review need a few video clips of the reviewer playing the game then this it it. Come on pb, we need a video of you doing MC Hammer dancing!
Mon 01/02/10 at 13:41
"possibly impossible"
Hah. I'll give it a go. I'm sure my phone can upload to Youtube somehow.
Mon 01/02/10 at 13:42
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Haha - YouTube beware! Send us the link ;)

Amazingly, the review I have writtne features the song "Move It Move It" by Reel to Real.

Strange coincidence :p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.