GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony Customer Service"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/03/04 at 16:34
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Finally I had time to start playing SOCOM (which I bought on Boxing Day last year) today. What was immediately annoying was the way my character had a life of his own. He'd chance pose at random, walk backwards at random (usually into the line of sight of a patrolling terrorist) shuffle sideways for no reason, and so on. I thought it was basically crap programming.

Whilst I was playing there was a knock at the front door, so I didn't bother pausing and went to answer it. Came back to find my character had shuffled his way to the opposite side of the level.

Suspicious, I tried another game. Random movements.

Aieee I thought, once again the curse of the faulty PS2 has struck again (that's another long story). I rang Sony's customer service line.

Straight through (at dinner time as well)

Explained problem. get put on hold for 30 seconds. Guy asks for my details, then says they'll pop a new pad in the post tomorrow morning! Whole phone call took less than 2 mins.

Well impressed - sure I was in warranty but even so it was good customer service compared to my experience of Xbox's line and other companies.
Fri 05/03/04 at 07:16
Regular
": ("
Im waiting for SOCOM 2 now, im hoping it gets delivered before i go to school.
Fri 05/03/04 at 06:51
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Cwazy Wabbit™ wrote:
> I dont change my settings on socom, is there anything you'd
> reccommend changing to make the game easier.

Also in your options for SOCOM are Turn Speed and Acceleration settings, crank them up as far as you can so when you turn around or move the targetting reticule it zips about onscreen really quickly. Takes a bit of getting used to but it means you can run past someone, turn around and shoot them before they've managed to turn around themselves.

On SOCOM II (on the beta version at least) these settings were ultra sensitive so most trialists found that cranking them all the way up made it too hard to stay on target, so many of us found that cranking them 'nearly' all the way ended up with easier handling. They might have changed it now for the released version so if you're getting SOCOM II the best advice I can give is try it cranked all the way up for a week or so and if you can't get used to it turn it down a little.
Fri 05/03/04 at 06:45
Regular
Cwazy Wabbit™ wrote:
> Whats a Deadzone???

The amount you can move an analogue stick before your ingame character responds.

If you have it set on high sensitivity, your ingame character tends to move about even when you're not touching the control pad.

If you have it set all the way over to the right (low sensitivity) you have to move the analogue sticks quite a bit before your ingame character responds.

Not many games allow you to configure deadzone settings, but SOCOM is one of the few that does.
Fri 05/03/04 at 06:33
Regular
Heh heh!
Thu 04/03/04 at 20:20
Regular
Are you talking about the vibration power?
I dont change my settings on socom, is there anything you'd reccommend changing to make the game easier.
Thu 04/03/04 at 20:15
HOw much you get electrocuted by the controller if you die in-game. A bigger deadzone means more pain
Thu 04/03/04 at 19:45
Regular
Whats a Deadzone???
Thu 04/03/04 at 19:24
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I had the same problem with my PS2 controller and I also got it replaced easily. However the same problem seems to be cropping up with my X-Box and GC controllers now, you just can't win.

:)
Thu 04/03/04 at 19:08
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
No I didn't know about that setting, but the pad was making other games act funny as well - in whiplash the character kept acting like the left analogue stick was being pushed back, that kind of thing.
Thu 04/03/04 at 18:40
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Finally I had time to start playing SOCOM (which I bought on Boxing
> Day last year) today. What was immediately annoying was the way my
> character had a life of his own. He'd chance pose at random, walk
> backwards at random (usually into the line of sight of a patrolling
> terrorist) shuffle sideways for no reason, and so on. I thought it
> was basically crap programming.

Did you tweak your deadzone settings in the SOCOM Options menu?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.