GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More bad news for the Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/08/01 at 19:02
Regular
CTW has reported that the NVIDIA-manufactured graphics processor in the Xbox console will suffer a speed decrease due to a need to `ensure manufacturing consistency`.
Originally set to run at 300Mhz, the clock speed of the Xbox GPU was decreased to 250Mhz, and more recently to 233Mhz. The alteration brings Xbox’s GPU speed much closer to GameCube’s 202Mhz graphics processing speed, and harms Microsoft’s claims that their console is three times more powerful than the nearest competition.

This change also indicates that Microsoft was somewhat premature in announcing that Xbox hardware had been finalised, and fuels the fire of speculation concerning the console`s apparently problem with maintaining consistent graphics frame-rates.

Oh damn.

*sniggers*
Mon 06/08/01 at 02:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
As far as I can tell, EA don't actually spend much time making their footy games!
Mon 06/08/01 at 02:21
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Just imagine how great Electronic Arts could have been if they hadn't wasted all that time developing update after update of footie every year, and concentrated on some of those lovely real time strategy games that they used to publish on the Megadrive.

Some of them were excellent, shame they had to go and get a footie licence...
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:27
Regular
Oh, XBox - KecksBox! I'm stilling getting one.

So EA will finally get it right on the 39th attempt eh!?!
I think not.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
HA!
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:16
Regular
apparently EAs fifa 2002 might move away from old crappy stlye and take more of a ISS aproach.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
EA without Sequel 2002?
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:23
Regular
Gamecube without Mario would be like....

a baby without its dummy?
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:23
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
Would you like me
> to start listing all the Gamecube titles that have been canned so
> far as well just to even things out?

FM, you should know that I'm pro-XBox just as much as you, but I was surprised to hear the news about Halo.

To be honest it won't affect me as I don't go online with consoles, I'll be happy with the 4 player split screen option in Halo.
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:21
I am getting a Gamecube no matter what. Apart from if no usual characters appear.
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:15
Regular
Canned - so far:

Thunder Rally (financial restructuring)
Raven Blade (26 job losses)
Retro Studio's Football Game (Decided not to compete with Sega's 2K and Madden series)
Black and White (although Lionhead haven't ruled it out altogether, just 'hit the pause button' on it whilst they concentrate on the X-Box version).
Acclaim cancelled two racing titles back in February, deciding to go with the X-Box instead.

That's six games BEFORE the GC's launch? The last time games were cancelled this far before a console launch was with, wait for it, the Saturn.

More and more games are canned nowadays before they even hit the production stages, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are thinking of buying a Gamecube.

By the way, I picked up this snippet on the web whilst I was searching for the actual title names for the above. (Most were at the pre-title stage.)

"Quick News
Brandon Justice has apparently been "fired" from IGN – supposedly because he called GameCube fans "Nazis", but really because he's not well liked at IGN, and also had the foresight to leap from the sinking ship and follow a path into game development."

Can we start a petition to have Brandon reinstated?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.