GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quality or quantity?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/08/01 at 20:00
Regular
What do you prefer - Quality or quantity? More to the point, which attitude really matters?

We all know that one of the main differences between Sony and Nintendo are their attitudes to releasing games. Sony lets all and sundry make games for their black beast and although it leads to a landslide of less than impressive titles, the good one still come out as well. Nintendo hold back in this respect and take a more quality over quantity approach. But does this make a difference?

Well, in front of me is the list of 26 launch games for the PS2 in the UK and their review scores. Out of this, I count 6 games that are worth buying. That’s quite a good choice considering this is the first-gen batch. There’s also another 20 games to choose from (Including Ridge V) that might appeal to fans of the genres but let’s not get into that.

Now, I’ll dig out my trusty GC launch line up and out of the 18 games I count 3, possibly 4 games that are worth buying. It’s early days yet and no one really knows what these will be like but I’m just going on reports from mags, not my opinion.

So, the PS2 had more games and still had more quality. Anyway, this isn’t supposed to me a dig at the GameCube, just a comparison.

So do you prefer quality or quantity? I myself prefer quantity. Every month the PS2 gets loads of games and a fair section of my regular magazine is devoted to reviews and previews. Admittedly, only about one or two of these games is worth looking at twice, but it’s still a fair amount. Because loads of people develop for it, the class games don’t just come from Sony’s studios and trusted 3rd parties, there are sometimes a few gems that roll out of passing developer’s sacks. Even EA, scourge of consoles everywhere, with the unique ability to churn out sequels like a production line and turn even the most brilliant concept into the Worst Game Ever™, have produced the fantastic SSX and Quake 3. The amount of choice is amazing. Take my last win, I had a choice of 5 games that I wanted and could have got (although I only told you 3), and I already owned 8.

I know one of the main faults of the N64 was that there weren’t enough games. For months after the launch there was a choice of 3 titles, although all 3 of them were good. How many people thought there could have been more? I know most of you will raise your hand.

Now, I don’t actually want the GameCube to fail, as I’ve got nothing against Nintendo and it would be a shame to see such a great company, and console, go under. I hope they sort out their act when it comes to choice, and slacken off or even dump their quality over quantity policy. Maybe I’m just rambling here and you probably all disagree (you often do).

So, what’s it for you? Quality, or quantity?

-Turbonutter
Sat 04/08/01 at 21:17
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> You need a balance. Less bad games but more good games.

What may be bad to you, may be good to someone else.
Sat 04/08/01 at 21:13
Regular
I would go with quality, but not to the extent that Nintendo did with the N64 i would rather there were a few not so good games than 3 really good games in three months i mean that just takes the mick. But I don't like the way that Sony let anything through where obviously there were a lot of good games on the Playstation everytime I went into game it was a case of 1 good game to every 10 terrible extreme sports games.
Sat 04/08/01 at 21:12
"I love yo... lamp."
You need a balance. Less bad games but more good games. The N64 was a bit low on the titles stakes but it did have more top games than other formats. The PS had loads of games but not enough good ones. The DC I think had the best balance. More games but also lots of good ones. But not as many as the PS and therefore not as many bad ones as the PS.
Sat 04/08/01 at 21:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
OK, bury the console wars in this thread for now.

So: Quality or quantity?
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:54
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
. Stop tainting it. The GC won't be
> everything you hoped it would be, get over it.

Well the PS2 certainly aint all u make it out to be, but i wont go into that cause it will just start a boring console wars argument okay peace!!

:0)
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:54
Yeah, and rightly so too.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:52
Regular
Im not makin it a console war im just puttin over a point, i haven't said a thing about the playstation, im just tellin u some facts about the gamecube.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:52
It'll be significantly more successful than...
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
TILTAWHIRL wrote:
> Well judging by the fact that there is no actual confirmed launch
> lineup for the Uk i cant see were your gettin your facts from, there
> isnt even a confirmed launch lineup for Japan yet.

I'm just going on what I know. I got my list from Reaper[oV], so ask him.

Anyway, this isn't a console wars post, it's a debate. Stop tainting it. The GC won't be everything you hoped it would be, get over it.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:48
Regular
not a console war im just tryin to put Mr Nutter straight.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.