GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Doom the greatest?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 21:32
Regular
On Gamespy Arcade, they had a countdown of the Top 50 games of all time. At No.1 was Doom. Do you think Doom is the greatest of all time?

I was surprised that Championship Manager did not make the top ten.

I know that these sort of things should not be taken seriously, but what is your greatest game of all time, any console, computer, anything.

Mine is Championship Manager Series.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
On Gamespy Arcade, they had a countdown of the Top 50 games of all time. At No.1 was Doom. Do you think Doom is the greatest of all time?

I was surprised that Championship Manager did not make the top ten.

I know that these sort of things should not be taken seriously, but what is your greatest game of all time, any console, computer, anything.

Mine is Championship Manager Series.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:37
Regular
"Back For Good"
Doom is THE classic first person shooter, easy puzzles with a no key no access type levels, excellent weapons and an amazing game.

The use of a flashing red screen when you fall in some of the acid makes it so real and i still love the way it uses the darkness of some levels. The playstation version i have to say i think is better than the PC's because some of the levels are edited for the better and using the joypad is excellent.

Doom and doom 2 are on PSX but doom 64 is appauling!!
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:38
Regular
Deus Ex should be in the top 10, it's the best RPG game ever!
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:39
Regular
Doom was a great game, but you need to consider that there are many other great games.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:39
Regular
"Back For Good"
what's the url for the web site, i wanna see where some of my fav's are?
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:43
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
www.gamespy.com but I am not sure.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:45
Regular
Ö~ Res€vilfan ~Ö wrote:
> what's the url for the web site, i wanna see where some of my fav's
> are?

Look for it on:
www.gamespy.com
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:50
Regular
"Back For Good"
i think they're mainly PC gamers who picked out the list, but although doom is a classic i still dunno about number 1 game of all time.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:58
Regular
"One More Chance"
My greatest console is the N64
My greatest game is Conkers Bad Fur Day.
Fri 03/08/01 at 22:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Doom was probably the most hyped game of all time, but by now means the 'greatest of all time'.

If we're talking computer/videogames, I'd opt for Final Fantasy VIII (covers many genres apart from RPG) or more recently Metal Gear Solid or Ocarina of Time, all for different reasons.

What makes a game good is not that it was the 'first to do it', but that it has lasting appeal. Since the arrival of Quake and Half Life, Doom has been gathering dust, and although it has a following still it is only a core minority compared to the complete communities built up around the former two games.

If we're talking ANY game, then Chess.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.