GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgradable Consoles?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/07/01 at 11:45
Regular
What do you think is the main difference between PC’s and consoles?

Well, I think it’s the fact that PC’s need upgrading if you want to be able to run certain programmes, play certain games or run programmes and applications quicker.

With consoles, you can play any game without needing to upgrade. You just stick the cartridge or CD in and play.

Hang on a second though... Didn’t Nintendo bring out a certain piece of hardware last year? Something that added an extra 4 MB of memory to the N64?

Yes, they did. It was called the Expansion Pak. Originally it was just intended to be used to boost the graphics on certain games. Expansion Pak enabled I think was the official term. But wait a minute. Weren’t a few games brought out that NEEDED the Expansion Pak to run properly? Again, yes there were. Perfect Dark, Turok 3 and Zelda: Majoras Mask. These three HAD to have an Expansion Pak if they were going to run fully.

But what’s going to happen in the future? We’ve all ready seen an upgrade being provided for the N64. Is this going to become the norm among consoles as it is with PC’s?

What’s so bad about upgradable consoles becoming more frequent? Can you imagine what would happen? The developers will be making more and more games that require upgrades. The cost of all this hardware would put A LOT of people off. I know I can’t afford many peripherals let alone games, let alone hardware! Some people either wouldn’t be able to afford the new hardware. This makes it unfair on those people as they wouldn’t be able to play all the new games, I for one, find that a tad annoying.

Of course, there is a plus side in all of this. The games themselves would be improving graphically and also in the respect that a lot more features could be added in to the games, extending their lastability and enjoyment factors. Seeing as the games are the reason why people buy consoles in the first place, then the fact that they would be getting better and more enjoyable quite quickly is in now way a problem.

And then there’s the consoles themselves. How are they going to accommodate all this extra hardware? Nintendo obviously had all ready planned the Expansion Pak because the hole in which it’s placed was all ready there.

It’s fine if the developers of the consoles think ahead about what they’re going to create so they can put the nooks, crannies and special places on the console beforehand. But what if some bright spark suddenly comes up with a great idea that the company really want to use but haven’t got anywhere on the console to put it?

The obvious answer to that would be to redesign the console and bring the re-modelled ones that can accommodate the new hardware. That means though, that the players are going to have to buy a whole new unit just to be able to play certain games!

Upgradable consoles could well be the future for the gaming market, but they could also be it’s demise.

RBS
Fri 03/08/01 at 01:23
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Cheap? You'd have to pay £1500 to get a PC as good as a
> PS2.

Strange phrasing, how would you decide when the PC is "as good as" the PS2? In terms of pure grunt even budget range PCs are way ahead of the PS2. However, due to them running a larger O/S and needing to specialize in areas other than games playing you would need to go above and beyond pure like for like specing - there is also the fact that they use their resources very differently due to their builds.

Even then, a PC is a true multimedia out of the box tool, something the PS2 can only dream of at present. Also, the typical PC price includes things that would be add-ons for the PS2, such as a monitor and a keyboard.

In short, you wouldn't have to spend aq third of £1500 to get a PC as good as a PS2 in terms of pure grunt, which is what you were getting at - I think...
Thu 02/08/01 at 22:47
Regular
Theres gonna be an upgrade for the gamecube cant remember what it up grades, its somehting like the expansion pack but i havent got a clue what it does,
Thu 02/08/01 at 22:41
It really depends where you shop. High street prices differ depending on who they are, if you are looking for good upgrades for your PC... Dabs.com is a great site they are on-line so all their prices are slashed because they have no shop rental space which they have to pay.

If you started out with nothing. What would you need in order for you to get playing a game?

PS2

A good TV £200-£300 or wide screen £1000-£1500
The console with controller, memory card £300
Game £40-£45

PC

Multi-media package includes Monitor 17", Keyboard, mouse, tower case, Average of 800mhz-1ghz, memory, speakers, sound card, graphics card Total £550-£650,
Upgrade of graphics card £250
Upgrade of sound card £150
Controller £25
Game £25-£30

Not really a big differance is there, only really out by £300-£400 then you find that the PS2 games cost so much. For a brand new PS2 game costs £45. Two games and you are almost at £100. While a brand new PC game is about £30.
Thu 02/08/01 at 01:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Cheap? You'd have to pay £1500 to get a PC as good as a PS2.

Anyway, I don't agree with Sony releasing a HDD and personally I won't be getting one. I'll surf the web on my home PC because that's what it's supposed to do. I'll get the network adaptor at Christmas because I want to go online with my PS2.

So, I say NAY to graphical upgrades, but YEY to functionality upgrades.
Thu 02/08/01 at 00:54
I thought the whole purpose for a console was that you did not need all the fuss of a PC. A console should be or is a no brainer. All you need is the platform, controller, game and maybe some hand eye co-ordination to switch it on.

The price of consoles are amazing now. They are meant to be cheap. I myself have a PC and when I first bought it about three years ago it was top of the range, now with lack of money and I can't upgrade it, it is the pits compared to todays tech. Which by the way is cheaper in price and much more powerful than my machine now. Walking through the stores on the high street you can get very powerful PCs for as little as £500 which makes me want to cry for what I paid for mine back then. Then I compare it to the £300 PS2 and think Sony just want to wipe out the PC don't they.

Still I think that they are going about it the wrong way. Consoles are there just for games and people have no time to twiddle about with them. If they do they will buy a PC and I hope they leave it at that.

So it is a NAY from me too!!
Wed 01/08/01 at 17:18
Regular
THE PS2 is kinda upgradeable with the broadband and modem coing up
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:45
I've heard they can be inferior...
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:34
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
NO Thanx!! How about the finest Kaboera beans!!?
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:32
Made from the finest java beans...
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:29
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Nah I prefer alchol or Chocolate milkshakes!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.