GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SC:PT Ranking system explained"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow'.
Fri 02/04/04 at 16:51
Regular
"8==="
"Rankings Explained

March 31, 2004 - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow shipped last week, but it's already a sensation around the office. What can we say, we all love it. Well, judging by the large volume of players on Xbox Live at all hours of the night and day, we'll assume you love it to. Just like Rainbow Six 3, there's a ranking system based on player performance. There's been some confusion as to how points are earned (or lost) and if there's any penalty for dropping out of a game early (there is). We went straight to Ubisoft for the answers, which they gladly provided. If you wanna learn about PT rankings, read on:

The ranking system is based on ELO, which is well known and reliable. It is used in Rainbow Six 3 and also in professional chess.

Important -- A player starting a ranking game and leaving in the middle of it gets a pentalty. This penalty is taken into account the next time statistics are updated -- that is at the end of the next ranking game. The points awarded are reduced by the penalty. Leaving a game session in a middle of a game is thus not at all advised. Editor's note: So stop doing it, fools!

Players being level 1 or 2 don't lose points when losing a game, except if they have a penalty.

The ranking system uses 6 different leaderboards, one for each game mode (neutralization, extraction, sabotage) and for each team (spy or merc). The total number of points in overall ranking (which determines the level of the player, displayed in the lobby), is the sum of all points in each leaderboard. Players progress in each of these leaderboards independently, depending on which kind of games he plays. The number of points gained or lost at the end of a game depends on the number of points of each player in the appropriate leaderboard.

For example: Two spies have 200 points in total, but one of them has 160 points in Neutralization mode, and 40 points in extraction mode, whereas the other one has 40 points in Neutralization and 160 points in extraction. They won't gain or lose the same number of points because, even though their total number of points is similar, the number of points in each mode is different.
The current information displayed refers to the total number of points, the number of points gained, and the new total number of points. Gamers can look forward to a more intuitive version in a future update.

We'll keep you up to date on the latest Pandora Tomorrow developments. Keep it tuned to IGN Xbox for news on future downloadable content and patches.

-- Hilary Goldstein"

Level Gap explained:

"The level gap thingy sets a limit for who can join. For
example, you're a level 3, and set the level gap option to 1. This in
effect limits the game to people either one level above or below you,
or equal to you. So no level ones could join your game. It helps alot
in ranked games, as if someone who is incidentally a level three and
his teammate is too totally obliterate a team of two level ones, they
will lose points instead of gain. "
Fri 02/04/04 at 20:21
Regular
ßulle†† wrote:
> I'm glad you get penalised for leaving a game.
>
> *looks at Creepy*

¬_¬
Fri 02/04/04 at 20:14
Regular
"\\"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> I just got my nice new shiny copy of splinter cell 2.

But did it come in the Limited Editionm sleeve like mine?

> I'm going to
> play through the single player campaign before I attempt the
> multiplayer, as I'm sure there'll be 6 million people better than me,
> and I want to get a feel for how the spies various moves.

Wouldn't bother, single player is different from MP, even the buttons and the moves.

> so you're all safe for the time being ....

You'll have no chance of catching up :D
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:21
Regular
I feel better already ...
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:14
Regular
": ("
My mates coming round in a minute and hes bringing SC2 so i'll play it and if i like it i'll buy it.
Regular
I just got my nice new shiny copy of splinter cell 2. I'm going to play through the single player campaign before I attempt the multiplayer, as I'm sure there'll be 6 million people better than me, and I want to get a feel for how the spies various moves.

so you're all safe for the time being ....
Regular
"8==="
Hmmm, probably because I'm trying to make you think before you post.
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:12
Regular
Hmmm......i dont know.
Why did you have to ask that?
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:08
Regular
"8==="
Cwazy Wabbit wrote:
> Shall i order ir online (meaning i wont probably get it till monday)
> or shall i buy it from the shops tommorow?

Seriously: WHY do you need to ask this?
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:05
Regular
"Teal'c"
ßulle†† wrote:
> I'm glad you get penalised for leaving a game.
>
> *looks at Creepy*

Ho-ho-a-blab-blab.
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:01
Regular
Shall i order ir online (meaning i wont probably get it till monday) or shall i buy it from the shops tommorow?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.