GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Money Money Money"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/07/01 at 10:58
Regular
Keep your old consoles, don't trade them in for a new one, because they will soon become part of a much sought after history.

Currently, there is a mint condition ZX81 (boxed) for sale on an auction site. The auction still has 5 days to go, it's had 17 bids already, and the current high bid is £120. This is for a console that you could buy new back in 1981 for around £40 after it's first year of release.

Surprisingly, the current market for mint condition ZX Spectrum is in a lull, you can get one for around £30 at the time of writing. Which is interesting, because in 5 years time the number of mint condition ZX Spectrums still about is going to be drastically reduced, so they too will start to gain in price very shortly. A good time to buy, no doubt.

Next up, you've got the rarities like the Amiga CD-32, Commodore 64 etc., these are currently very hard to get hold of, an Amiga CD-32 would currently set you back around £70 for a mint condition one with a few games.

But what about the NES, SNES, Megadrive, PSX, N64 and PS2? Well, keep them, in about 20 years time you'll be able to list them on an auction site and set your own asking price. If it's boxed, unscratched and in fully working order, you might be surprised at how much your contemporaries would be willing to pay for such a bundle.

People like to remind themselves of better days by surrounding themselves with items from that era, which is why Beatles' records sell so well even today, because people like to be taken back to that time in the 60's that was a major turning point in their lives.

The same will go for gamers of today. 20 years down the line you'll be pottering away in your garden or sending your kids off to University, when suddenly you'll get this urge to have just one more go at Zelda, or Diddy Kong Racing, or a sudden itch to have a blast at Metal Gear Solid or Wipeout, or a craving to have another try at Metropolis Street Racer or Resident Evil Code: Veronica, the like of which will not be around in 20 years time.

So hold on to those games, keep them in good condition, and who knows? See you on Antiques Roadshow in about 30 years time? Maybe...
Sat 28/07/01 at 10:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Keep your old consoles, don't trade them in for a new one, because they will soon become part of a much sought after history.

Currently, there is a mint condition ZX81 (boxed) for sale on an auction site. The auction still has 5 days to go, it's had 17 bids already, and the current high bid is £120. This is for a console that you could buy new back in 1981 for around £40 after it's first year of release.

Surprisingly, the current market for mint condition ZX Spectrum is in a lull, you can get one for around £30 at the time of writing. Which is interesting, because in 5 years time the number of mint condition ZX Spectrums still about is going to be drastically reduced, so they too will start to gain in price very shortly. A good time to buy, no doubt.

Next up, you've got the rarities like the Amiga CD-32, Commodore 64 etc., these are currently very hard to get hold of, an Amiga CD-32 would currently set you back around £70 for a mint condition one with a few games.

But what about the NES, SNES, Megadrive, PSX, N64 and PS2? Well, keep them, in about 20 years time you'll be able to list them on an auction site and set your own asking price. If it's boxed, unscratched and in fully working order, you might be surprised at how much your contemporaries would be willing to pay for such a bundle.

People like to remind themselves of better days by surrounding themselves with items from that era, which is why Beatles' records sell so well even today, because people like to be taken back to that time in the 60's that was a major turning point in their lives.

The same will go for gamers of today. 20 years down the line you'll be pottering away in your garden or sending your kids off to University, when suddenly you'll get this urge to have just one more go at Zelda, or Diddy Kong Racing, or a sudden itch to have a blast at Metal Gear Solid or Wipeout, or a craving to have another try at Metropolis Street Racer or Resident Evil Code: Veronica, the like of which will not be around in 20 years time.

So hold on to those games, keep them in good condition, and who knows? See you on Antiques Roadshow in about 30 years time? Maybe...
Sat 28/07/01 at 11:06
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Nah, keep you old consoles then you can show them to your grandchildren and say "Look at this, this is what we played on when we were children, its an 8 bit nes." and theyd say " WOW"
Sat 28/07/01 at 11:07
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
I am the wise one and i have spoken
Sat 28/07/01 at 11:18
Regular
I have an amiga and a commodor 64......i could retire in 10 years time.
Sat 28/07/01 at 11:27
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
FantasyMeister wrote:

Currently, there is a mint condition ZX81 (boxed) for
> sale on an auction site. The auction still has 5 days to go, it's
> had 17 bids already, and the current high bid is £120. This
> is for a console that you could buy new back in 1981 for around
> £40 after it's first year of release.

ZX81 was a computer not a console...
And it sold for 99 quid originally not 40...
Sat 28/07/01 at 11:38
Regular
"everyone says it"
I have a brand new sealed NES console (the original release) from 1984... its in perfect condition still in shrinkwrap...

Now I wait for the time....
Sat 28/07/01 at 14:35
Im sure loads of people will eventually splash out for our old consoles, however the market isnt really there yet. However your probably right in 20 years time people will bw willing to pay a good price for a Megadrive, Snes and even a Saturn.

Infact at present the Dreamcast is already a collectors Item ! :-)
Sat 28/07/01 at 15:09
The last Special Reserve club magazine said that they were low on Dreamcast Stocks!
Sat 28/07/01 at 15:13
Regular
It's funny but I like the fact that the Dreamcast is dying - It makes it precious in strange kinda way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.