GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"walk over here!!! Peripheral mayhem!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/07/01 at 01:31
Regular
Buy a driving game and you can easily obtain a steering wheel to enhance the experience. Similarly many other videogame activities are sold on the fact that peripherals can bring gamers closer to the real life equivalent: maracas for Samba de Amigo, skateboard devices for Tony Hawk's, even fishing reels for catching virtual tuna. Strange then that a peripheral hasn't been developed for the activity that gamers must participate in the most - rambling.

Force gamers on to treadmills (the animals!!!) and designers would soon have to rethink the way they structure their games. It's not the exertion that would be off putting - although exercise and gaming rarely appear in the same sentence - but the mindless wandering which seems to be a component in so many games. The opportunity to explore an open world is something to be cherished (go on give it a hug) but only when goals are clearly defined.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time achieves this balance by presenting a world, which gradually opens up as the player collects items and clues. The illusion of freedom is superbly engineered, but actually, Hyrule's green fields, forest glades, and mountain passes are incredibly well sign posted. Once more locations are unlocked the player has the choice to investigate the whole map. Most don't bother, but having that choice is important, never the less.

Soul Reaver by contrast is a game, which, for all it's merits, expects the player to wander endlessly around searching for new areas to explore. Portals can whisk the player around the games labyrinth underworld, but the uniform colouration of many locations only serves to confuse and confound. A glyph conjuring up a trail of breadcrumbs may have been a more practical addition to Raziel's spell list.

Some games seem to positively invite the tag of 'walking simulator'. Project IGI's insistence on real world physics went to ridiculous lengths. True, you could survey an enemy compound from a distant hill to plan your way in, but walking the huge distance towards the enemy base every time the game restarted was ludicrous. Creating a save point near to your selected entry point may have broken the real world spell, but it also would have improved the game no end.

Designers creating surreal or magical worlds really have no excuse for forcing the player into backtracking hell. I really hope that a game like Evil Twin will employ some suitable device to reduce treadmill tedium.

Thanks for reading

><{{{*>™
© Copyright
Sat 28/07/01 at 01:31
Buy a driving game and you can easily obtain a steering wheel to enhance the experience. Similarly many other videogame activities are sold on the fact that peripherals can bring gamers closer to the real life equivalent: maracas for Samba de Amigo, skateboard devices for Tony Hawk's, even fishing reels for catching virtual tuna. Strange then that a peripheral hasn't been developed for the activity that gamers must participate in the most - rambling.

Force gamers on to treadmills (the animals!!!) and designers would soon have to rethink the way they structure their games. It's not the exertion that would be off putting - although exercise and gaming rarely appear in the same sentence - but the mindless wandering which seems to be a component in so many games. The opportunity to explore an open world is something to be cherished (go on give it a hug) but only when goals are clearly defined.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time achieves this balance by presenting a world, which gradually opens up as the player collects items and clues. The illusion of freedom is superbly engineered, but actually, Hyrule's green fields, forest glades, and mountain passes are incredibly well sign posted. Once more locations are unlocked the player has the choice to investigate the whole map. Most don't bother, but having that choice is important, never the less.

Soul Reaver by contrast is a game, which, for all it's merits, expects the player to wander endlessly around searching for new areas to explore. Portals can whisk the player around the games labyrinth underworld, but the uniform colouration of many locations only serves to confuse and confound. A glyph conjuring up a trail of breadcrumbs may have been a more practical addition to Raziel's spell list.

Some games seem to positively invite the tag of 'walking simulator'. Project IGI's insistence on real world physics went to ridiculous lengths. True, you could survey an enemy compound from a distant hill to plan your way in, but walking the huge distance towards the enemy base every time the game restarted was ludicrous. Creating a save point near to your selected entry point may have broken the real world spell, but it also would have improved the game no end.

Designers creating surreal or magical worlds really have no excuse for forcing the player into backtracking hell. I really hope that a game like Evil Twin will employ some suitable device to reduce treadmill tedium.

Thanks for reading

><{{{*>™
© Copyright
Sat 28/07/01 at 02:08
anyone got anything to say?????
Sat 28/07/01 at 09:37
I did a topic like this once but it did not win. I think you have enhanced it well and it should win.

BTW FIsh-e. You don't annoy me. But dont EVER take the mic out of Mantis again.
Sat 28/07/01 at 09:51
Regular
Yes, backtracking in games drives me nuts.
This might sound old fashioned, but what is wrong with starting at the beginning of a level - progressing through the level (always going forward and onward) - and then completing the level and moving to the next.

Most action/adventure games are spoiled by this never ending backtracking tedium. I agree. I want adventure were you progress through the levels or worlds in a consistent always going forward manner!
Sat 28/07/01 at 10:34
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Fish-e did you used to play Rainbow 6 online? From the zone.

I remember that little fish sign, thought is was pretty cool and now you have it Trademarked and Copywrited!

My names were Criminal_Force, and Cheetah.

Remember me?
Sat 28/07/01 at 13:50
Backtracking is very annoying, and a right pain. The worst game that did this recently was Resident Evil: Survivor... on the last level you had to backtrack when defeated by the final boss :-(
Sat 28/07/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
There used to be a sufing game out for the Speccy...

Which came with a keyboard surf board simulator...

You stuck it onto the keyboard (covering the nessasary keys for movement) and then move the board by leaning on it in the direction you wated it to go :)
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:51
GasMask wrote:
> Fish-e did you used to play Rainbow 6 online? From the zone.

I
> remember that little fish sign, thought is was pretty cool and now
> you have it Trademarked and Copywrited!

My names were
> Criminal_Force, and Cheetah.

Remember me?

vaguely
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:56
Time_Warp wrote:
> I did a topic like this once but it did not win. I think you have
> enhanced it well and it should win.

BTW FIsh-e. You don't annoy
> me. But dont EVER take the mic out of Mantis again.

when did i take the mick out of Mantis???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.