GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Its so popular."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/07/01 at 13:11
Regular
I was doing some snooping around, not the kind where you hide in the bushes and go through peoples trash and read their mail. More the kind where you pay more attention to little things and detail.
I sat in the waiting room of my dentists yesterday and a small child was bashing away on his gameboy colour. Excellent I thought to myself, someone else who enjoys games. Seems all children like to play games, some adults too as I was about to find out. An elderly man was seated next to him and he couldn't take his eyes of the screen. Maybe he had a squint and was actualy looking around the room but I think he was interested too and deep down wanted to play. This got me thinking, will there come a time when we are "too old" for games, I mean I didn't think older people like games, by older people I mean over 60's.
It was my dads 50th a few weeks back and he still love to challenge me at red faction or any decent game. But will there come a time when he will say he dosn't want to play as he isn't interested any more.

When people think of computer games they firstly think of children and the kiddie image associated with alot of games. But is there a market that could be aimed at the elderly. Games are quite a big part of my life, I love to play them and hopefully soon plan on getting into the industry in some high paying job. hopefully when I start to become grey and wrinkley games will still be fun to play and Im still having multiplayers with the other OAP's in the old folks home. The problem is that older people don't really understand todays technology and I guess this is the way things will continue to go, but I believe that if they could learn the basics they wouldn't say no if you asked them to play.

So what I am asking is this: Will there come a time when you will no longer WANT to play games? Not a time when you can't due to some reason but a time when they will not intrest you in the way they do now.
Thanks for reading.
AliBoy
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:35
Did someone mention the Amiga? Yeah, Amiga's are great!
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:32
Regular
My mum and dad used to like games when I had an amiga.

They like Lemmings in particular.

As the years went on and it started distracting me from life and caused a several problems, they gradually began to get sick of it.

Now they hate games for what they've done to me.

lol!
Thu 26/07/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
asrogktjusaetg wrote:
> > hopefully soon plan on getting into the industry in some >
> high paying job.

Games industry? High paying job? Two don't
> really go together. Unless, of course, your going to be President
> of Nintendo or something.

Maybe not the games industry but the computing one anyway. Im doing computer science degree and when I finish starting salaries for most jobs are around £30,000 a year. They get a lot higher than that too.
Thu 26/07/01 at 15:26
Regular
I've been playing video games for near on 15 years. And for me one thing is sure: the better the graphics and AI gets, the more interested in games I am. Games of the future, let's say in 20 years, will be truly astounding - improvements in artificial intelligence is what will make them swing! From Pong to Virtua Tennis, from Virtua Tennis to ... the mind boggles!
Thu 26/07/01 at 15:15
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I recon most of us will be playing in our later days because its what we have been brought up on. Old people diddnt have this kinda stuff, they ran around the streets instead, so don't really have the interest.

I look forward to the day I play GT9 with my grandson.

I'm sure if I wonm the lottery or something I would play a lot less, theres many, many things I would do, but I will always have my consoles.

Slave. Getting older by the day.
Thu 26/07/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
> hopefully soon plan on getting into the industry in some > high paying job.

Games industry? High paying job? Two don't really go together. Unless, of course, your going to be President of Nintendo or something.
Thu 26/07/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
There was this guy who was 92 and totally bed-ridden. He couldn't move without help, his wife had died and his carer person couldn't be with him 24/7 so all he had to get him through the day was Richard and Judy, sleep and Kiljoy. He was throughly miserable until he decided to buy a PlayStation. Now, this 92 year old had loads to do all day (being a bit loaded, you see) and played on all the latest games. He was actually quite good and now he's a happy, hardcore gaming bed-ridden 92 year old man. This is actually a true story and it just goes to show that you're never too old to play games.

As for your question "When willthe time come when he no longer wants to play games" well, I should think he'll keep playing until arthiritis sets in.
Thu 26/07/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Back For Good"
mmm good post i dunno about games for the elderly cus they seem to enertain themselves with crosswords and bingo anyway,my nan is my only grandparent i have and she can't get enough of em.

Older people tend to have problems with eye sight so i don't think computer games are the right thing for them.

Gaming used to be for kids only mainly at the arcade but i think now it's more adults than kids and i really HOPE i never grow out of em.
Thu 26/07/01 at 13:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I was doing some snooping around, not the kind where you hide in the bushes and go through peoples trash and read their mail. More the kind where you pay more attention to little things and detail.
I sat in the waiting room of my dentists yesterday and a small child was bashing away on his gameboy colour. Excellent I thought to myself, someone else who enjoys games. Seems all children like to play games, some adults too as I was about to find out. An elderly man was seated next to him and he couldn't take his eyes of the screen. Maybe he had a squint and was actualy looking around the room but I think he was interested too and deep down wanted to play. This got me thinking, will there come a time when we are "too old" for games, I mean I didn't think older people like games, by older people I mean over 60's.
It was my dads 50th a few weeks back and he still love to challenge me at red faction or any decent game. But will there come a time when he will say he dosn't want to play as he isn't interested any more.

When people think of computer games they firstly think of children and the kiddie image associated with alot of games. But is there a market that could be aimed at the elderly. Games are quite a big part of my life, I love to play them and hopefully soon plan on getting into the industry in some high paying job. hopefully when I start to become grey and wrinkley games will still be fun to play and Im still having multiplayers with the other OAP's in the old folks home. The problem is that older people don't really understand todays technology and I guess this is the way things will continue to go, but I believe that if they could learn the basics they wouldn't say no if you asked them to play.

So what I am asking is this: Will there come a time when you will no longer WANT to play games? Not a time when you can't due to some reason but a time when they will not intrest you in the way they do now.
Thanks for reading.
AliBoy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.