GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are You a Quitter?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/01/10 at 13:19
Regular
"And in last place.."
Recently the bulk of my online gaming has come from Motorstorm Arctic Edge and Need For Speed Shift. Rarely a game goes by where someone doesn't quit. The frequency and sometimes the numbers of people who quite is quite surprising.

I appreciate that sometimes something comes up and you need to call it a day but a quitter does seem to appear immediately after a crash even if it is the 1st bend of a 4 lap race. I've also noticed that it is never people infront of me who quit !

Own up, do you go in the huff and quit your online games if it isn't going according to plan?

Is this more common with racing games? It's not something I've noticed happen to the same level with other games.

Back when Sensi Soccer was released on the xbox I received a few messages from people thanking me for not quitting after being on the receiving end of yet another mauling. I can't say that anyone has ever quit on me in a football game but then, when you are romping to victory why would you quit?
Sun 11/04/10 at 09:02
Regular
"eat toast!"
Ah! Rage quitting!

Yes i'm occassionally guilty of it myself and the most logical reason is that you'e being hammered and you're losing like hell and its not fun. Its conceding you're defeat and leaving. Except in l4d, people frown upon it for several reasons:

1. Its poor sportsmanship. If there was a throw in towel button i would do it.

2.It ruins the fun for everyone else? Oh really? Thats crap. I'm not staying to fuel your egos and have insults thrown at me at the end as well. So you might as well go to hell.

My reasons that i usually leave:

1. No incentive to stay. If they ditched the the win lose records, i might not bother, but as it stands, most games include it and it just severes to remind you of how bad you are at games. Only MW2 and BFBC2 have every made me stay for a match just to reap a few prizes and afterwards i leave.

2.Poor balance. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy a challenge but only when its fair and balanced. One where its actually possible to win. So when i join game and i see that its heavily biased to the opposition filled with clan members who have nothing but malice to pubpwn you, you leave.
Sat 10/04/10 at 15:23
Regular
"auntyswoo"
Quitter me! I don't quit I just get so annoyed with myself, then I start reading the reviews and wonder why I ever bought the game in the first place - I am playing Wii at the moment, for instance and have Quantum of Solace running - interesting but not mind blowing as a game goes - but I am stuck - and believe me the 'quitting syndrome' has run through my mind.... Stuck on the train - when shooting bad guys trying to cut the connection - but keep on dying ...any suggestions anyone :)
Tue 12/01/10 at 11:10
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
No, I hate quitting. Football games tend to be the only ones I bother to play online, and only in one occassion do I allow myself to quit, and that's when the lag is so bad that you see "kick off, TIME WARP, goal". I find that I rarely get outclassed so much that it effects my enjoyment of the game, I have been disconnected on several times, however, but there are people who will take defeat in good grace (Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Barcelona on PES08 without quitting, I was amazed)
Mon 11/01/10 at 21:34
Regular
"eat toast!"
l4d2. Rage quit for the world if i lose like hell. Surprisingly for MW2, i don't rage quit if i lose very badly as i want the points at the end. Once all is lost i just go for the highest score.
Mon 11/01/10 at 20:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
The worst game i've played for online generally is one of my newest ones, NHL 10. It has absolutely catastrophic online capabilities. It's truly terrible...
Mon 11/01/10 at 15:26
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Nah, I don't quit. I've had some random disconnects but that is about it. I only tend to get destroyed playing shooters online so I rarely play shooters online.

I've played some real jokers online that have wrecked my races on Forza 2 and then quit. I limp back to the pits and try to get the fastest lap. If I give myself a goal to strive for, I see the game out to the finish.
Mon 11/01/10 at 14:08
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Quitting? Pfff....it's for losers.

I have done it maybe a couple of times, when I was losing and because of that reason. Most of the time on MW2. If I have a continued bout of being killed then the group I'm playing with are clearly above my standard so I move on. I don't see anything wrong with that, the game is for my enjoyment........

Football games, I got cut off once and the mail I got from this guy... jeez.... you would think I had hunted down all his family pets and fed them to Noel Edmonds! So I don't leave football games if I can avoid it. Normally I just put the controller down and go do something else come back and see the guy really trying... :S
Mon 11/01/10 at 13:29
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I rarely quit and when I do it's only if MW2 is lagging too badly. Don't mind the way their server is run though as it allows for people joining and quitting.

Never quit Halo online and NEVER EVER EVER quit a football game online. Literally, so many people have thanked me for staying on to omplete the game after being mauled by like 8 goals by half time (although in one game I was so glad I didn't quit - I won the game 9-8...)

My mentality is that there is always someone out there that is better than you. You can't quit real life, so why should you in a game? If you get frustrated, fine, quit after the game - it's what I do.
Mon 11/01/10 at 13:24
Regular
"THFC"
The only time i quit, will be when i have bad connection and is affecting gameplay or making everything unbearable lol.

I really hate when people leave during a game of FIFA or a 1 vs 1 style game. I normally send a message to the person and just laugh at them or "mug them off" - i feel they deserve to be pulled up on their bad sportsmanship.

It is also annoying if people leave MW2 and then a new host has to be found lol. Everyone leaves a game at some point. I dislike when people do it for the wrong reasons, i.e. they are losing, not doing well or playing someone they are not as good as.
Mon 11/01/10 at 13:19
Regular
"And in last place.."
Recently the bulk of my online gaming has come from Motorstorm Arctic Edge and Need For Speed Shift. Rarely a game goes by where someone doesn't quit. The frequency and sometimes the numbers of people who quite is quite surprising.

I appreciate that sometimes something comes up and you need to call it a day but a quitter does seem to appear immediately after a crash even if it is the 1st bend of a 4 lap race. I've also noticed that it is never people infront of me who quit !

Own up, do you go in the huff and quit your online games if it isn't going according to plan?

Is this more common with racing games? It's not something I've noticed happen to the same level with other games.

Back when Sensi Soccer was released on the xbox I received a few messages from people thanking me for not quitting after being on the receiving end of yet another mauling. I can't say that anyone has ever quit on me in a football game but then, when you are romping to victory why would you quit?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.