GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Google Nexus"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/01/10 at 12:46
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm sure it hasn't escaped many people here - the rumours and news that Google are planning to release their own Android powered mobile phone in the coming days - the Google Nexus / Nexus One.

Sure, it might be a great phone, but I can't see it being the greatest of phones, or at least not for very long. Android is an open source operating system, and is already used on other phones. Naturally, Google will use the latest version, but this is not a new concept, and other mobiles will be updated to follow suite, so I can't see the software being a big pull.

The hardware might be shiny new, but again, it is hardware components that can be used, and may have already been used, in other phones and devices.

I read how it's the real iPhone killer, that Apple will be quacking in their boots, that the Cloud will take off, etc, but I'm not really convinced. I think it'll be "just another phone", for the time being at least.

But I could be wrong, the Google brand could be enough to push the phone ahead, Google may have some apps they haven't released yet that once revealed, could be the push the phone needs. The cloud integration could be the key. Maybe it'll be free, and supported by AdWords, maybe it'll let me teleport!!

What is everyone's take on this?
Thu 07/01/10 at 05:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> I just cant bring myself to spend 300-400 on a phone when
> I know they usually cost less than half that to manufacture.
>
>
> Do you buy clothes and shoes etc. as the markup on them is even
> more! :¬P

Apparently grass is green too. :P
Wed 06/01/10 at 16:52
"Are you sure?"
Garin wrote:
> I just cant bring myself to spend 300-400 on a phone when
> I know they usually cost less than half that to manufacture.

Do you buy clothes and shoes etc. as the markup on them is even more! :¬P
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 06/01/10 at 15:33
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Garin wrote:
> Well, I'm sold on wanting an Android phone. and I generally like
> HTC's phones. Most I've ever paid for a phone is about 50 pound
> though and I've no interest in contracts so for me they're
> generally all out of reach. I just cant bring myself to spend
> 300-400 on a phone when I know they usually cost less than half
> that to manufacture.

Yeah I kinda had the same issue, I've always wanted a really good phone, but can't really afford them, however I think I am prepared to go onto a contract now seeing as my PAYG costs are increasing way beyond the cost of a contract. Plus my online usage would be too excessive, so even if I could afford a £400 phone, I wouldn't be able to top it up.

>.< But as I say I think Ima make the jump to the contract boat, as much as I don't like being held down for 12-18 months.
Tue 05/01/10 at 18:41
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tue 05/01/10 at 18:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well, I'm sold on wanting an Android phone. and I generally like HTC's phones. Most I've ever paid for a phone is about 50 pound though and I've no interest in contracts so for me they're generally all out of reach. I just cant bring myself to spend 300-400 on a phone when I know they usually cost less than half that to manufacture.
Tue 05/01/10 at 11:10
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Fairr enough, I take it your not sold then Garin?
Mon 04/01/10 at 16:00
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
LukeM wrote:
> I'm looking to get a phone with Android, whether it will be the
> Nexus or a phone by a manufacturer who has had a bit more
> experience designing a phone for android I am not too sure.

I think its a bit of a stretch to say that Google have designed a phone. More like they've paid HTC to design and manufacture one for them.
Mon 04/01/10 at 15:04
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I'm looking to get a phone with Android, whether it will be the Nexus or a phone by a manufacturer who has had a bit more experience designing a phone for android I am not too sure.

I mean Android is made by Google, so surely Google knows best... but do they?

Teleport would be awesome! Along with a holodeck app to make my wildest dreams a reality, albeit holographic.
Mon 04/01/10 at 12:46
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm sure it hasn't escaped many people here - the rumours and news that Google are planning to release their own Android powered mobile phone in the coming days - the Google Nexus / Nexus One.

Sure, it might be a great phone, but I can't see it being the greatest of phones, or at least not for very long. Android is an open source operating system, and is already used on other phones. Naturally, Google will use the latest version, but this is not a new concept, and other mobiles will be updated to follow suite, so I can't see the software being a big pull.

The hardware might be shiny new, but again, it is hardware components that can be used, and may have already been used, in other phones and devices.

I read how it's the real iPhone killer, that Apple will be quacking in their boots, that the Cloud will take off, etc, but I'm not really convinced. I think it'll be "just another phone", for the time being at least.

But I could be wrong, the Google brand could be enough to push the phone ahead, Google may have some apps they haven't released yet that once revealed, could be the push the phone needs. The cloud integration could be the key. Maybe it'll be free, and supported by AdWords, maybe it'll let me teleport!!

What is everyone's take on this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.