GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game addiction"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 10:38
Regular
Hi, I'm Kev and I'm a video game addict...

How many people out there would consider themselves addicted to video games ?
I would.
But how can we tell if we are addicted ?
Here are a few pointers taken from my long history of playing games ! NOTE: I'm just going to talk about home gaming here, don't even get me started on the countless hours and cash wasted in arcades, in my efforts to be dominant at anything I put my hands on (example, I once clocked Choplifter. I don't mean I bet the last level, I mean I played so long on one credit that the score had to go back to zero !).

(1) Playing 'Til Dawn.
Why is it that I sometimes find myself playing for a very long period and suddenly, during a lull in the gameplay, I hear the birds singing outside and the morning sunlight coming in my window ? What is it about certain games that make us stay up playing until, frankly, ridiculous hours of the morning, even though we know well that if we just go to bed we can get sleep out of the way and get up fresh to start playing again ?!
Honestly, I've often found myself playing for very long periods, and sometimes even getting annoyed with myself for staying up so long.
If you think about it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Most games can be saved at any time (more or less) so there is no logical reason to play continuously.
This wasn't such a problem in my younger days. Back then I had the ZX Spectrum (ah the memories !) and I would've been in big trouble if I was caught playing until the wee hours ! Although once any new Ultimate (Rare) game arrived then that was me in hiding indefinitely !
Is it just me or are there other sad individuals out there who suffer the same affliction ?

(2) Almost finished, but back to start
Here's an odd one. If I'm finding a game very enjoyable I'll be determined to beat it, which is normal enough. But sometimes if a game is especially good, and I know I'm almost at the end I'll actually stop, wipe the game from the memory card or cartridge, and go back to the start just so the experience will not end. Combine that with (1) above and I'm in big trouble ! Most recently I've done this to games like Zelda or Perfect Dark on N64, or Red Faction on PS2.
Is that weird ?

(3) Crap but play it anyway since it is rented
Have you ever rented out a fairly crap game ? I have !
What is it about rented games that makes us determined to finish them ? Is it the fact that we've paid for a few nights rental so we're determined to get use of them ? In my opinion I get determined to finish a boring game just so I know I've beaten it and so I'll never get an urge to play it again !
At the moment I'm playing MDK2 on PS2. Now I'm not saying this is a crap game, but to be honest it really doesn't grab my attention and make me delighted to be playing it. So I'm doing my best to beat it as soon as possible, and by whatever means (cheats and guides included). I could just give it back to the shop but, and here's the killer, if I haven't beaten it I'll rent it again even though I don't really enjoy it that much.
I know that really sounds dumb. But if you are reading this, then pause for a second and ask yourself honestly if you've ever acted like this !

(4) New game have to beat it as soon as possible, then go back and find everything...
When I buy a new game, I'm also determined to beat it as soon as possible. Of course this means that in a matter of days (usually) I'll have a game beaten, unless I feel guilty and problem (2) arises ! Then once the game is beaten, and if it is good enough, I'll re-visit it and try to find every last collectable object in it, just to see a slightly different ending screen or whatever. Recent examples are DK64 and Banjo Kazooie on N64, and SSX (all outfits etc.) on PS2.
But what is the point ? The game has been beaten. I'm not going to see anything new. Once I have managed to 'find' everything I'll be so sick of the game that I'll probably never play it again. The sense of achievement is very short lived. After all how great am I that I've beaten a few pictures on a screen at something they have little or no control over !

(5) Keep away, I'm at play
Sometimes the happy games can turn nasty. Do you ever feel like telling people to *insert you own swear words here*-off when you are in the middle of a game ? Why not just pause the game and talk to people ?
With me, when I'm into a game then that is it. It encompasses all my attention, much to the annoyance of others around me (ask my fiancée !). It gets to the extent that other human beings become simply objects that are trying to distract me from my games !
Again I reckon a lot of people out there can associate with this one.
How many times have you been interrupted by someone mid-game ? How many times have you said something like "just let me collect this banana / coin / key / gun" or "just give me a few minutes 'cause I'm about to beat this level / race / boss" ? To a non-gamer that must sound pretty stupid.
But I do it !

(6) Leave work early, must play game
Ever leave work early just to play a game ? Or (depending on who is reading this) did you ever leave school / college / monastery early to play a game ?
What is it about us addicts that allows us to leave our normal lives in favour of going home, gluing ourselves to a TV and playing games ?! This is one I don't do very much actually, but if there is a new game sitting at home, I find it very hard to sit in work until 5pm. On those occasions where I do stay in work until the proper time I find myself thinking about the game a lot, to the detriment of my job.

(7) Sunlight bad, darkness good
Ah, the health issues.
Firstly let me say that I've recently stopped smoking. But when I did smoke I often found myself with a cigarette hanging from my gob, with one eye closed due to smoke, joypad in hand, playing a game ! How attractive is that (not to mention extremely unhealthy)!
But my other issue here is the sunlight one. I am not a vampire, yet I can go home on the sunniest of afternoons, close all the curtains in my front room to block as much natural light from getting in as I possible can, just so that I can play games ! Surely that is not healthy ?
I reckon this is one that most of you out there can associate with ! Sad isn't it.

I guess there are more telltale signs out there about the addiction . But what can be done about it ?
Maybe I just need to grow up a bit !
What will the future bring ?! I'm getting married (no, I'm not doing it to get off playing games !) in 11 months, so that has put a stop to buying games for a bit. Got to save up now and be sensible.
Seriously though, I guess I'll have kids of my own in a few years, and yes I'll always play games. But I would be worried about the next generation. I was a young lad in the days when ZX Spectrum was cool but the gaming industry was nothing like it is now. What are our children going to be like ? I know myself I'll be trying to keep my kids off games as much as possible (probably just so I can play more !).

So come on everyone. Put down that mouse or joypad. Go outside and enjoy all of natures goodness. See the world and all its beauty.

I'll join you outside just after I finish this level....
Wed 25/07/01 at 10:38
Hi, I'm Kev and I'm a video game addict...

How many people out there would consider themselves addicted to video games ?
I would.
But how can we tell if we are addicted ?
Here are a few pointers taken from my long history of playing games ! NOTE: I'm just going to talk about home gaming here, don't even get me started on the countless hours and cash wasted in arcades, in my efforts to be dominant at anything I put my hands on (example, I once clocked Choplifter. I don't mean I bet the last level, I mean I played so long on one credit that the score had to go back to zero !).

(1) Playing 'Til Dawn.
Why is it that I sometimes find myself playing for a very long period and suddenly, during a lull in the gameplay, I hear the birds singing outside and the morning sunlight coming in my window ? What is it about certain games that make us stay up playing until, frankly, ridiculous hours of the morning, even though we know well that if we just go to bed we can get sleep out of the way and get up fresh to start playing again ?!
Honestly, I've often found myself playing for very long periods, and sometimes even getting annoyed with myself for staying up so long.
If you think about it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Most games can be saved at any time (more or less) so there is no logical reason to play continuously.
This wasn't such a problem in my younger days. Back then I had the ZX Spectrum (ah the memories !) and I would've been in big trouble if I was caught playing until the wee hours ! Although once any new Ultimate (Rare) game arrived then that was me in hiding indefinitely !
Is it just me or are there other sad individuals out there who suffer the same affliction ?

(2) Almost finished, but back to start
Here's an odd one. If I'm finding a game very enjoyable I'll be determined to beat it, which is normal enough. But sometimes if a game is especially good, and I know I'm almost at the end I'll actually stop, wipe the game from the memory card or cartridge, and go back to the start just so the experience will not end. Combine that with (1) above and I'm in big trouble ! Most recently I've done this to games like Zelda or Perfect Dark on N64, or Red Faction on PS2.
Is that weird ?

(3) Crap but play it anyway since it is rented
Have you ever rented out a fairly crap game ? I have !
What is it about rented games that makes us determined to finish them ? Is it the fact that we've paid for a few nights rental so we're determined to get use of them ? In my opinion I get determined to finish a boring game just so I know I've beaten it and so I'll never get an urge to play it again !
At the moment I'm playing MDK2 on PS2. Now I'm not saying this is a crap game, but to be honest it really doesn't grab my attention and make me delighted to be playing it. So I'm doing my best to beat it as soon as possible, and by whatever means (cheats and guides included). I could just give it back to the shop but, and here's the killer, if I haven't beaten it I'll rent it again even though I don't really enjoy it that much.
I know that really sounds dumb. But if you are reading this, then pause for a second and ask yourself honestly if you've ever acted like this !

(4) New game have to beat it as soon as possible, then go back and find everything...
When I buy a new game, I'm also determined to beat it as soon as possible. Of course this means that in a matter of days (usually) I'll have a game beaten, unless I feel guilty and problem (2) arises ! Then once the game is beaten, and if it is good enough, I'll re-visit it and try to find every last collectable object in it, just to see a slightly different ending screen or whatever. Recent examples are DK64 and Banjo Kazooie on N64, and SSX (all outfits etc.) on PS2.
But what is the point ? The game has been beaten. I'm not going to see anything new. Once I have managed to 'find' everything I'll be so sick of the game that I'll probably never play it again. The sense of achievement is very short lived. After all how great am I that I've beaten a few pictures on a screen at something they have little or no control over !

(5) Keep away, I'm at play
Sometimes the happy games can turn nasty. Do you ever feel like telling people to *insert you own swear words here*-off when you are in the middle of a game ? Why not just pause the game and talk to people ?
With me, when I'm into a game then that is it. It encompasses all my attention, much to the annoyance of others around me (ask my fiancée !). It gets to the extent that other human beings become simply objects that are trying to distract me from my games !
Again I reckon a lot of people out there can associate with this one.
How many times have you been interrupted by someone mid-game ? How many times have you said something like "just let me collect this banana / coin / key / gun" or "just give me a few minutes 'cause I'm about to beat this level / race / boss" ? To a non-gamer that must sound pretty stupid.
But I do it !

(6) Leave work early, must play game
Ever leave work early just to play a game ? Or (depending on who is reading this) did you ever leave school / college / monastery early to play a game ?
What is it about us addicts that allows us to leave our normal lives in favour of going home, gluing ourselves to a TV and playing games ?! This is one I don't do very much actually, but if there is a new game sitting at home, I find it very hard to sit in work until 5pm. On those occasions where I do stay in work until the proper time I find myself thinking about the game a lot, to the detriment of my job.

(7) Sunlight bad, darkness good
Ah, the health issues.
Firstly let me say that I've recently stopped smoking. But when I did smoke I often found myself with a cigarette hanging from my gob, with one eye closed due to smoke, joypad in hand, playing a game ! How attractive is that (not to mention extremely unhealthy)!
But my other issue here is the sunlight one. I am not a vampire, yet I can go home on the sunniest of afternoons, close all the curtains in my front room to block as much natural light from getting in as I possible can, just so that I can play games ! Surely that is not healthy ?
I reckon this is one that most of you out there can associate with ! Sad isn't it.

I guess there are more telltale signs out there about the addiction . But what can be done about it ?
Maybe I just need to grow up a bit !
What will the future bring ?! I'm getting married (no, I'm not doing it to get off playing games !) in 11 months, so that has put a stop to buying games for a bit. Got to save up now and be sensible.
Seriously though, I guess I'll have kids of my own in a few years, and yes I'll always play games. But I would be worried about the next generation. I was a young lad in the days when ZX Spectrum was cool but the gaming industry was nothing like it is now. What are our children going to be like ? I know myself I'll be trying to keep my kids off games as much as possible (probably just so I can play more !).

So come on everyone. Put down that mouse or joypad. Go outside and enjoy all of natures goodness. See the world and all its beauty.

I'll join you outside just after I finish this level....
Wed 25/07/01 at 11:10
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
kevd wrote:
(2) Almost
> finished, but back to start
Here's an odd one. If I'm finding a
> game very enjoyable I'll be determined to beat it, which is normal
> enough. But sometimes if a game is especially good, and I know I'm
> almost at the end I'll actually stop, wipe the game from the memory
> card or cartridge, and go back to the start just so the experience

Are you a fool?
Wed 25/07/01 at 11:29
wrote:
> No I certainly don't think so. That just happens sometimes when I'm enjoying a game.
When I beat a game I tend to loose interest, so why not go back before it ends ?!
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:10
Well done on your gad!
Sat 28/07/01 at 08:59
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
youv'e won 2 games in the past week , how cool is that !! well done !!
Sat 28/07/01 at 09:30
Regular
I once played a video game for 48 hours non-stop. Breaking play only for a slash and a light snack. The game was Player Manager 2 on Amiga. Is this normal?
Sat 28/07/01 at 10:19
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I have stayed up all night playing games.

“Keep away, I’m at play” Yes that happens a lot to me. When people are talking to you while trying to play Perfect Dark, or any other game nearly always makes the words ending with Off come out of my mouth.

Unless it is my Mother of course @

“How many times have you been interrupted by someone mid-game ? How many times have you said something like "just let me collect this banana / coin / key / gun" or "just give me a few minutes 'cause I'm about to beat this level / race / boss”? To a non-gamer that must sound pretty stupid.
But I do it!”

Is point number five yes? I have said that many times.

“Just let me finish this level, I’m right at the end”

“Ok Son, Just make it quick”

Half an hour later when his family have gone out leaving him by himself he says. “Peace at last”

I think I qualify as an addicted gamer.
Sat 28/07/01 at 20:13
Game addiction? No such thing.

...what?

-bm03
"Actually, why do they call it Alcoholics Anonymous? They go in, and what's the first thing they say? 'Hello, my name's Mike', or whatever their name is."
Sat 28/07/01 at 20:22
Regular
My parents used to play computer games.

Now my adiction has caused so many problems/fights/arguments that they hate the things.

I know that I'm going to have real trouble getting a Gamecube into my house... :-D
Sat 28/07/01 at 22:01
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
I wish i could win a gad for my witty remarks and good ideas.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.