GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/01/07 at 23:34
Regular
"Be gentle, I'm new"
I hope someone can help me here. Is it possible for me to connect a wireless modem/router to my phone line and then wirelessly connect my one and only PC to it? I will not bore you with the reasons that I cannot run any cables, but i need to locate my PC about 30 feet from my phone access point. If this is possible, what hardware do I need? I have a linksys router with built in modem and I have a Linksys USB network adapter.. anyone help?

TIA

KayJay
Thu 22/02/07 at 13:03
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Sorry :(

The original question was so close to my own that I didn't post a new one. I have a PC which I am moving from the lounge to the conservatory (other side of the kitchen!) so I was curious about range and the goods I would need to make it possible. That's why I thought the 'right' link was the correct equipment - I believe I need a USB adapter with a new modem.

I like netgear stuff as well - my current modem is netgear and I've never had a problem with it.
Thu 22/02/07 at 11:35
"Are you sure?"
Your links look very similar to me.
You don't say if you have a desktop or laptop PC.

The main difference is the 'Wrong' link will only work with a laptop as the PCMCIA card won't plug in to a standard desktop PC.

The 'Right' link would work with any PC that has a USB port.

Personally I prefer Netgear products - but if it's for a laptop then I wouldn't buy the USB 'dongle' that you show, I would get a Netgear PC CARD (PCMCIA) to go with the Netgear router as this fits much better in a laptop and won't keep getting knocked.
Thu 22/02/07 at 11:04
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Hello,

You just about answered all the concerns I had for switching from wired to wireless but can I check I'm ordering everything I need...

wrong?

Doesn't have an adapter and I'm 99.9% sure my computer doesn't have a wireless card in it. Not looking for the cheapest deal so I think this is a better option for me

right?

Thanks
Sat 20/01/07 at 11:28
Regular
"Be gentle, I'm new"
Many thanks, I now have this working... Was a faulty network adapter.

Cheers
Fri 19/01/07 at 08:46
"Are you sure?"
Earlier I asked if you have set up the wireless networking - you may not have seen that question?

Can I suggest you follow this guide which will hopefully help you: [URL]http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx[/URL]
Thu 18/01/07 at 19:02
Regular
"Be gentle, I'm new"
Once again, me being stupid! I meant the ethernet cable from the router to the PC... I needed to connect this way first of all to access the router controls on the PC...It drops when I disconnect that..

TIA
Thu 18/01/07 at 18:33
"Are you sure?"
KayJay wrote:
> Thanks for your time Hmmm...
>
> I can get the connection going, but this drops from the internet
> when I remove the RJ11 from my PC... It keeps the network, but no
> internet!

Hi KayJay -
The RJ11 (i.e. phone cable) should be going to the wireless router not your PC...
Thu 18/01/07 at 18:28
Regular
"Be gentle, I'm new"
Thanks for your time Hmmm...

I can get the connection going, but this drops from the internet when I remove the RJ11 from my PC... It keeps the network, but no internet!
Thu 18/01/07 at 08:51
"Are you sure?"
KayJay wrote:
> I am so sorry, maybe I am not making clear sense... yes I have
> the kit mentioned but cannot get it to work...as a result of
> this, i was not sure if I had all I needed. I can get the
> adapter to connect to the network, but it loses the internet
> connection as soon as I remove the ethernet cable from my PC...
> any ideas?

Your kit should look like this:

phone_socket----wireless_router ~~~wireless signal~~~ wireless_adaptor in PC

I take it you've configured both the router and PC for a wireless connection? The devices should have come with the necessary instructions.
Wed 17/01/07 at 19:03
Regular
"Be gentle, I'm new"
I am so sorry, maybe I am not making clear sense... yes I have the kit mentioned but cannot get it to work...as a result of this, i was not sure if I had all I needed. I can get the adapter to connect to the network, but it loses the internet connection as soon as I remove the ethernet cable from my PC... any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.