GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GMail's "Mail Fetcher" feature"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/12/09 at 11:07
"Are you sure?"
Many people no doubt already have an email address from Google - using GoogleMail.

There are lots of useful features available with GMail - mostly all for free.

Here are my tips for setting up:
GMail "Mail Fetcher"

'Mail Fetcher' allows you to pick up email from other accounts you own. These accounts can be from other providers - obviously most people here will be using Freeola's email service but it works with any decent POP3 provider.

I use GMail's Mail Fetcher to provide additional resilience for some of my accounts. It also means the emails are available from any internet connection and most phones and mobile devices come equipped with GMail access built in.

The first step is to either use an existing GMail account or setup a new one. If you are intending on using an existing account you should be aware that people have been caught out writing emails with embarrassing names! I'll explain why later...

So if this is a professional or business related setup you might want to create a new GMail account with a name based on your company.

Login to your GMail account and click:
"Settings" (top right)
Then "Accounts and Import"

In the section that reads "Check mail using POP3"
click the "Add POP3 email account" button.

Enter the email address of the account you want to add to GMail.

In the next step the Username is the email account name, so with Freeola it will be the 'sr' number of your email address.
i.e. sr0123456-001

Password is the existing password for the address you are adding.

POP Server change to the incoming mail server for your provider. So for Freeola it should read: mail.freeola.net

Assuming you still want to pick up your email from your normal email client (Outlook etc.) then it's important to select:
"Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server"

"Label incoming messages" - Use this so that GMail adds a meaningful label relating to the address you're adding.

If everything works you will see
"Your mail account has been added" and have the option to send mail using the account you've just added.

Accept this and move on to the next step.
Change the name to be displayed as appropriate, you also get the chance to specify a different 'reply-to' address. I recommend you leave this the same so all replies will go back to the original address.

Click 'Next Step' and choose the recommended option to
Send through Google Mail SMTP servers
This is so even if your normal email service is unavailable you can continue to reach your clients in an emergency.

Click 'Next Step' and "Send Verification"
This will send an email to the account you are adding to prove it's really you! Either enter the verification code supplied in the email or close the dialogue box and click the verification link in the email when it arrives.

That's the GMail setup finished - BUT there's still one more step to make everything work.

In your normal email client you need to change the setting to leave a copy of your email on the server. This only needs to be for 1 day. This is so that Google gets a chance to retrieve a copy of the email before it gets removed from the server by your normal client (Outlook etc.).

In Outlook this option is in:
More Settings > Advanced Tab
Make sure you specify '1 Day' so as not to leave emails on the server and cause space problems!

All emails sent to your normal address will now be stored in your GMail account as well as going to their normal destination. GMail gives you 7GB of free storage which is a lot for email!

NOTES

Earlier I mentioned people have been caught out by using embarrassing names - I'll explain why.

When you go to Compose Mail to start a new email you get a drop-down box to choose the email address you want to write with.
If you happen to already have had an address like [email protected] and start to send emails relating to your business you should be aware that some email clients (Outlook for example) will still show your original GMail address even when you choose a different address from the drop-down box!

In Outlook it will show as:
"From: [email protected] on behalf of Welding Services Ltd[[email protected]]

In the past this has upset people! Especially when they had been sending emails for a while before it was brought to their attention!
That's why earlier I recommended creating a new GMail account for your business and using your business name.

Google's Help pages

A final GoogleMail tip:
When you setup a Google email address it will be shown as googlemail.com but you can use the shorter alias of gmail.com

Hope people find this useful :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 22/02/15 at 12:01
"Are you sure?"
Just bouncing this old thread as I've found this weekends email maintenance has caused a few problems.

Due to the length of the outage I've found that my Gmail 'fetching' on a number of accounts had stopped. It looks like Google only retrys a handful of times before abandoning things.

If this is something you had in place then you'll need to login to your Gmail account, then:

Settings > Accounts and Import tab.

I had a large RED ERROR for all of my accounts:
Connection Error. Mail from this account has not been retrieved since 20 Feb

Clicking "Check mail now" should restart the process and return normal service.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 30/10/12 at 12:08
"Are you sure?"
little_legs1 wrote:
HELP!

I can't seem to add my email to Mac Mail??

It says for it to be POP3, but there is no such option when I want to add an account? It only comes up as a POP or IMAP. I have purchased enough services from freeola now and I don't want to add the email thing as well..... Any ideas on what to do??

Welcome to the forums.

Choose POP.
Freeola's Mac Mail Setup for Freeola Email guide.

NB. Probably would have been a good idea to start a new thread for your query!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 30/10/12 at 11:28
Regular
HELP!

I can't seem to add my email to Mac Mail??

It says for it to be POP3, but there is no such option when I want to add an account? It only comes up as a POP or IMAP. I have purchased enough services from freeola now and I don't want to add the email thing as well..... Any ideas on what to do??
Mon 12/07/10 at 11:57
"Are you sure?"
Couple of updates...

For those using GMail Google have recently(ish) added a couple of useful features - these can be accessed by clicking the 'labs' button.

Default Text Styling
At last you can permanently change your default text/font.
Previously all emails would be received in Times New Roman :¬(
You could change the font for the current email but you would have to do this each time. You can now set your default font.

Refresh POP accounts
If you are using GMail's Mail Fetcher (see earlier post!) this option now allows you to check all your POP accounts with a single click from the 'home' page rather than have to go into account settings and check each account separately if you want to check manually for new mail.

There are numerous new options in 'labs' but the above two are my pick of the bunch!
[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Wed 16/12/09 at 17:04
"Are you sure?"
Cheers pb :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 16/12/09 at 17:01
"possibly impossible"
You know this has reminded me I even have aGmail account, I never use it as I'm always on my Yahoo one or Freeola one. I think Yahoo can do much the same but I know a lot of people like GMail still.

Anyway, good post. Very informative.
Wed 16/12/09 at 16:52
"Are you sure?"
Glad you liked it :¬)
I hadn't heard about your 'alias' trick - good one!

Wireless Security for GMail

For those that access their GMail via wireless devices then I also recommend changing another setting in the 'General' section:

Browser connection - Always use https - followed by Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

This will hopefully stop someone from being able to hijack your account! Google notes on enabling HTTPS

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 16/12/09 at 11:52
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Nice thread Hmmm..

Another cool but confusing fact is dots are not taken into consideration when Google mail servers receive mail. For example
[email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] all go to the same place.

However when logging into a Google account, you need to use the exact alias that you defined when you created your account with the same amount of dots in the right position.

I find it handy when I want to sign up for a service I am not sure about. I sign up with a random dot somewhere in my e-mail and can subsequently filter into a label or simply set up a filter to delete all mail on this address if I no longer want to use it. Obviously there a limits to how many times you can do this!

Please note you cannot have two or more dots/fullstops/periods in a row on any e-mail address.
Wed 16/12/09 at 11:07
"Are you sure?"
Many people no doubt already have an email address from Google - using GoogleMail.

There are lots of useful features available with GMail - mostly all for free.

Here are my tips for setting up:
GMail "Mail Fetcher"

'Mail Fetcher' allows you to pick up email from other accounts you own. These accounts can be from other providers - obviously most people here will be using Freeola's email service but it works with any decent POP3 provider.

I use GMail's Mail Fetcher to provide additional resilience for some of my accounts. It also means the emails are available from any internet connection and most phones and mobile devices come equipped with GMail access built in.

The first step is to either use an existing GMail account or setup a new one. If you are intending on using an existing account you should be aware that people have been caught out writing emails with embarrassing names! I'll explain why later...

So if this is a professional or business related setup you might want to create a new GMail account with a name based on your company.

Login to your GMail account and click:
"Settings" (top right)
Then "Accounts and Import"

In the section that reads "Check mail using POP3"
click the "Add POP3 email account" button.

Enter the email address of the account you want to add to GMail.

In the next step the Username is the email account name, so with Freeola it will be the 'sr' number of your email address.
i.e. sr0123456-001

Password is the existing password for the address you are adding.

POP Server change to the incoming mail server for your provider. So for Freeola it should read: mail.freeola.net

Assuming you still want to pick up your email from your normal email client (Outlook etc.) then it's important to select:
"Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server"

"Label incoming messages" - Use this so that GMail adds a meaningful label relating to the address you're adding.

If everything works you will see
"Your mail account has been added" and have the option to send mail using the account you've just added.

Accept this and move on to the next step.
Change the name to be displayed as appropriate, you also get the chance to specify a different 'reply-to' address. I recommend you leave this the same so all replies will go back to the original address.

Click 'Next Step' and choose the recommended option to
Send through Google Mail SMTP servers
This is so even if your normal email service is unavailable you can continue to reach your clients in an emergency.

Click 'Next Step' and "Send Verification"
This will send an email to the account you are adding to prove it's really you! Either enter the verification code supplied in the email or close the dialogue box and click the verification link in the email when it arrives.

That's the GMail setup finished - BUT there's still one more step to make everything work.

In your normal email client you need to change the setting to leave a copy of your email on the server. This only needs to be for 1 day. This is so that Google gets a chance to retrieve a copy of the email before it gets removed from the server by your normal client (Outlook etc.).

In Outlook this option is in:
More Settings > Advanced Tab
Make sure you specify '1 Day' so as not to leave emails on the server and cause space problems!

All emails sent to your normal address will now be stored in your GMail account as well as going to their normal destination. GMail gives you 7GB of free storage which is a lot for email!

NOTES

Earlier I mentioned people have been caught out by using embarrassing names - I'll explain why.

When you go to Compose Mail to start a new email you get a drop-down box to choose the email address you want to write with.
If you happen to already have had an address like [email protected] and start to send emails relating to your business you should be aware that some email clients (Outlook for example) will still show your original GMail address even when you choose a different address from the drop-down box!

In Outlook it will show as:
"From: [email protected] on behalf of Welding Services Ltd[[email protected]]

In the past this has upset people! Especially when they had been sending emails for a while before it was brought to their attention!
That's why earlier I recommended creating a new GMail account for your business and using your business name.

Google's Help pages

A final GoogleMail tip:
When you setup a Google email address it will be shown as googlemail.com but you can use the shorter alias of gmail.com

Hope people find this useful :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.