GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer noises"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/12/09 at 19:39
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Well this isn't web help this is more computer help. If any of you are good with computer situations.. if not then oh well.

My laptop is making a really loud ticking noise and was just wondering what it was and if it has got anything to do with the hard drive but most likely the fan.

Thanks
Wed 13/01/10 at 22:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Bah, was gonna suggest the fan as soon as I saw this :P (honestly)

Our old XP also enjoyed making ticking noises. We had 2 fans, think one was to do with the graphics card and the other for the rest of the computer. Anyway, they were both at it, had to remove the side cover and poke the fans back in place with a pencil. They just kept coming slightly loose.
Wed 13/01/10 at 17:41
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Dragonlance wrote:
> theweirdo666 wrote:
> Thanks Dragonlance!
>
> Hope it helps you, but anyway Merry Christmas:-)

Lol thanks, hope you had a good xmas and new year. I sent the laptop away and it was the fan
Thu 17/12/09 at 20:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
theweirdo666 wrote:
> Thanks Dragonlance!

Hope it helps you, but anyway Merry Christmas:-)
Thu 17/12/09 at 16:46
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Thanks Dragonlance!
Wed 16/12/09 at 19:54
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Warhunt wrote:
> Hey Drago (damn you harry potter movies!)
>
> The link you posted doesn't have anything for strange noises. You
> thinking it could be one of those issues?

Most strange Warhunt - the link should have taken you to 'ticking hard drives' ie something like w666 is talking about, however the following would suggest 'hard drive' etc etc

"ALL hard drives make some level and frequency of "ticking" noise when the heads move back and forth looking for, reading or writing data to the drive platters. THIS IS NORMAL. Some are louder than others and therefore more annoying (Hitachi seems to be the loudest)."

"When a hard drive runs in a laptop it runs hot, gets constantly jostled, bumped, shaken and stirred unlike the typical desktop system. Laptop hard drive failures are therefore more likely because of this rough environment. Heads hit platters and sectors are permanently destroyed leading to eventual failure of the entire hard drive. Is that a big surprise to anyone? Probably not if we think it through."

"So, eventual failure of a laptop hard drive is a certainty and it will occur much more quickly the rougher the environment is. Please stop worrying about "ticking" noises from your laptop hard drives. IT'S NORMAL."

"If it's a Hitachi hard drive, it's gonna tick loudly. That's normal for a Hitachi."

Just a few observations but maybe not very helpful - it could be a drive on its way south or it could be normal:-)
Wed 16/12/09 at 18:50
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Warhunt wrote:
> Hey Drago (damn you harry potter movies!)
>
> The link you posted doesn't have anything for strange noises. You
> thinking it could be one of those issues?

Looks like someone had a look for me lol.
Wed 16/12/09 at 10:17
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hey Drago (damn you harry potter movies!)

The link you posted doesn't have anything for strange noises. You thinking it could be one of those issues?
Tue 15/12/09 at 21:51
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Thanks.. i'll have a look tomorrow
Tue 15/12/09 at 20:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
theweirdo666 wrote:
> Nope....

Hi w666, this link may offer some assistance:

AskLapTopFreak

:-)
Tue 15/12/09 at 19:19
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Nope....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.