GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 7 - Internet Connection (Sonic Chris)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/12/09 at 18:07
"Are you sure?"
INFO: CURRENTLY PROBLEMS WITH NEW FORUMS POSTS

Arh - I wasn't expecting to be able to view/edit this post!
Seems it's just some new posts...! :¬)

UPDATE:
Might as well change the title of this for Sonic Chris - I'm sure Freeola will correct the new posts issue if it still exists.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 14/12/09 at 20:25
Regular
"How Ironic"
Right, think i need to change my DHCP range, but apparently it's not possible on Windows 7. Some guy said he found a route around, but i can't understand what he means. Anyone 'dumb' this down for me to follow easily?

"Luckily, there are workarounds. In Windows 9x, Microsoft offered a simple registry hack to change the IP range, which did the trick wonderfully. In Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, however, it’s not so simple; you cannot actually change the DHCP range, but you can still make ICS bow to your demands. Once you’ve set up ICS, go to the adapter that ICS is available on, and you’ll see a static IP has been set. You can change this IP to whatever you’d like, in any subnet you want. The caveat is that DHCP will no longer function, so in order for ICS clients to work, they’ll need a static IP in the same subnet as you configured for the PC. Then just set the router and DNS addresses as your PCs address, and you should be in business. For me and my Xbox 360, this solution works just fine."
Sun 13/12/09 at 16:13
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks Dragonlance. This is all good stuff :) Don't think my mum will be making any purchases until everything is up and running though. Gonna tuck in to getting this switch working.
Sun 13/12/09 at 16:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> In another thread you mentioned 'Banking Security' was a
> priority.

Banking security can be had here:

Trusteer Raport

Two of my banks offer this as a free download. Looking at Trusteer's 'bank list' a number of other banks do too.

Once downloaded you can added any site you wish to be protected. However, the 'freebie' from the supplying bank allows 50 sites to be added without a licence, but to download it direct only allows 3 sites - but that may be enough for you.

This may help your search for 'additional banking security' :-)
Sun 13/12/09 at 15:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks for the link Hmmm... came up as Telewest Broadband (ie. Virgin) so that's that cleared up. Will get PC Guard once it's on released. Norton will have to do for now.

I've got another problem if anyone's interested. My dad purchased an ethernet switch, which is not exactly working at the moment. We've got the modem plugged in regularly. From the ethernet port on the modem, it's connected to the switch. From the switch, one ethernet goes into the computer, and one to the homeplug (and upstairs to the xbox in my room). The homeplugs work fine. It seems we can only use the internet connection downstairs or upstairs still, so i don't exactly know what the switch is doing (nothing at the moment). Read in places you have to configure your xbox network settings (which i've done), and still to no avail.
Sun 13/12/09 at 15:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well we have a complete virgin package, we just don't know how to get PC Guard on this new computer (apparently, windows 7 version is out next february) and in regards to my posting problem, i can post fine, but i can't create new threads :( So no reviews or anything from me until i find the problem. I sent Warhunt a message that included the error message i got.

Anyway, i'll have a go at that speedtest and see who it comes up with.
Sun 13/12/09 at 11:03
"Are you sure?"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Don't know who's running our connection at the moment

Do you mean as in who's your ISP???

If you run a speedtest here you'll get a clue: http://speedtest.net/
Freeola show up as "ISP: Entanet International Ltd".

Or look to see who you're paying!

As for Anti Virus - I can recommend Microsoft's new free Security Essentials.

In another thread you mentioned 'Banking Security' was a priority.

None of the basic AV programs will help you here. Anti-Phishing is built in to modern browsers but mostly 'Banking Security' is down to the user educating themselves to safe online practices.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 13/12/09 at 10:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Well we were using PC Guard on the old PC, but according to the
> internet, there won't be a windows 7 version until February 2010?
> (is this correct?) so at the moment, we're having to use the free
> 60 day trial of Norton that came with it (know it's rubbish, but
> would rather have some protection than none ;P)

I see that you can now post, so the problem doesn't exist now?

PC Guard is provided by Virgin, so you must have been or are a Virgin Media customer for broadband, it comes with the package doesn't it? Had a run in with it in the Diamond Cable/NTL days, personally didn't think much to it.

As for 'protection' - you can always use the free editions of Zone Alarm (firewall) and the new AVG (anti-virus) - both are ok with Windows 7. But then again, there may be others on the forum that use other applications which they may recommend. :-)
Sun 13/12/09 at 09:36
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well we were using PC Guard on the old PC, but according to the internet, there won't be a windows 7 version until February 2010? (is this correct?) so at the moment, we're having to use the free 60 day trial of Norton that came with it (know it's rubbish, but would rather have some protection than none ;P)
Sat 12/12/09 at 21:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
> 1.Can't post new threads
> 2.Don't know who's running our connection at the moment

You can connect. Right?

Have you got firewall/anti-virus running? ... Are they configured to allow access?

Have you tried access without firewall/anti-virus ie disabled?

If you are running Nod32, then dump it and then try access :-)

Just a few suggestions....
Sat 12/12/09 at 20:11
Regular
well I can read this thread but I cant read your other thread :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.