GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FF7 vs FF8"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 14:08
Regular
Hi

FF7 vs FF8? Which won wins?

Which is the better game, Final Fantasy 7 or 8?

FF7 or FF8, FF7 or FF8, FF7 or FF8, Bet! Bet! Bet!

Sorry, got carried away with doing an impression of that Banzai programme on Channel 4 on a Friday night.

Let me know what you think and then I'll let you know what I think and then we can debate it, thanks.

Is FF9 any good as I haven't played it yet? Is it better than FF7 or FF8?

Andy Jackson
Sat 21/07/01 at 14:08
Regular
Hi

FF7 vs FF8? Which won wins?

Which is the better game, Final Fantasy 7 or 8?

FF7 or FF8, FF7 or FF8, FF7 or FF8, Bet! Bet! Bet!

Sorry, got carried away with doing an impression of that Banzai programme on Channel 4 on a Friday night.

Let me know what you think and then I'll let you know what I think and then we can debate it, thanks.

Is FF9 any good as I haven't played it yet? Is it better than FF7 or FF8?

Andy Jackson
Sat 21/07/01 at 15:20
Regular
Favourite to least liked:

1) FF8 - Better characters, (not short fat jaggys), and an amazing junction system.

2) FF7 - Might not have the stuff from FF8, but it does have a good story.

3) FF9 - This could be due to having a PS2, but I never really got into it.
Sat 21/07/01 at 15:40
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I think that the is more stuff to do in FF8 and FF9 than in FF7. But FF7 was the first game brought out on the Playstation so for me it was probably the best. I loved all three of FF games on PSone.

Betting Ends...LOL
Sat 21/07/01 at 19:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I have only really played FF7 - I did play FF8, but i have got attached to the FF7 way of combat etc, so I think I prefeer it and think it is best, altohugh it does not look as nice - It depends on which one you play extensively at first.
Sat 21/07/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I don't normally have a very strong view on any games really but FF8 sucked big time, the story-line was tedious, the place names were damn stupid-I mean Balamb Garden? C'mon! The move away from cartoony graphics was not well recieved...by me.

FF7 is best because of the amazing sub-games, the enjoyment and the fact that it made you really hate and fear that quality music that came on when Sephiroth was due an appearence.
Sun 22/07/01 at 09:11
Regular
jd99 wrote:
> I don't normally have a very strong view on any games really but FF8
> sucked big time, the story-line was tedious, the place

I agree that it sucked, I thought the graphics were great but the story was pretty rubbish and the ending was even worse. I liked parts of the storyline but other parts just seemed crap.

FF7 was the first time I played a Final Fantasy game and I played it about a year ago and the graphics did not put me off as I thought they were really good. Had I played FF8 first and then FF7 I would probably not have liked the graphics in FF7.

FF7 had a superb storyline and I thought the ending was really good.

I thought setting the characters up in FF8 was a bit more complex than FF7 and it got annoying sometimes.

Andy Jackson
Sun 22/07/01 at 11:54
ssxpro wrote:
> Favourite to least liked:

1) FF8 - Better characters, (not short
> fat jaggys), and an amazing junction system.

2) FF7 - Might not
> have the stuff from FF8, but it does have a good story.

3) FF9 -
> This could be due to having a PS2, but I never really got into it.

Funnily enough I am of the exact same opinion!
I feel the plot and, more importantly, the character development were quite weak in FF9. Thus making it quite hard to get into.
Sun 22/07/01 at 14:07
FF7 is a far better game than FF8.
FF8 may have been technically better in a couple of ways, but FF7 was so much more FUN to play than FF8. With FF7 i could sit there for hours on end wanting to further the storyline and see what new puzzle and task awaited. With FF8 i found a lot of the parts to it (especially early on) were a bit of a drag and i found myself labouring through a few parts not particularly enjoying it.
The combat system in FF7 was also better. The flexibility it offered you in battle was excellent, and all styles of fighting could be catered for. Having to bother to draw magic from enemies just prolonged an already battle-heavy game, and instead of just being able to finish enemies off, you had to constantly get reserves of magic which became tiresome. It may be more of a challenge, but it just wasn't as FUN as the simplisticity of FF7. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.
FF8 was also lacking something like FF7's Gold Saucer, which really made FF7 a classic.

Anyway, that's my opinion. All i know is that from what i've seen, FFX should cease all arguments as to which is the better Final Fantasy. It will be IMMENSE.

Whenever they bloody release it anyway. (Supposedly December, now February apparently! Nightmare!)
Sun 22/07/01 at 17:44
Regular
FF8 is good, but I prefer ff7 - it's easier to handle + you just can't beat Cloud and Sephiroth :-)

By the way, I've finished ff8 a few times now, but I don't know how to get in to the Island closest to Heaven and the one closest to hell - is there some special way to get into them, because everytime I try it won't let me in?

Thanks
Kel
Sun 22/07/01 at 17:46
Regular
By the way, ff9 was crap!

I didn't really get into it either, I know that I didn't complete all of the tasks (like the moogle net thing - some places close off after a while, so you need to do this bit asap).

It also didn't last as long as ff7 or 8, I finished it e.g. the storyline, in a week, where as the others took me ages.

Kel

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.