GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Book] The Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/01/07 at 00:23
Regular
"Captain to you."
The Day of the Triffids for me is one of my favourite books, i have only read it quite recently but it was on story that i read through in a pretty short period of time just because when i had a spare minute i would start reading again.

The title of the book is somewhat misleading, most people before they pick up the book know what a Triffid is, purely from some childhood memory from TV or someone will have mentioned it. I’m not sure when I first new was a Triffid was but I remember watching an episode when I was very young of the TV series and it scared the hell out of me.

For those to young or just simply have never been told, a Triffid is a fictional plant about 8 feet high that can walk and has a poisonous stinger. I’m not going to ruin the book by telling the story or too much information at this point.

Reading the description above you could assume that the book was about the Triffids going around poisoning everyone, but really that isn’t what book is about.

The book is a look at how Humans deal with catastrophes and loss. It gives examples of how different types of people deal with a situation and how even if you have the best intentions you might not always be right.

It makes you consider if working towards the short term in the hopes of a quick solution is the right path while saving thousands, or having to make sacrifices and working towards a long-term solution under the assumption that it will never be fixed.

The story revolves around one man who encounters groups of people dealing with a terrible situation differently while trying to decide how he thinks it is best to deal with it.

Some parts of the book deal with death in an almost cold way, to the point that characters will have just lost someone very important to them and yet they seem to get on with life almost straight away, obviously the situation they are in means that they don’t have time to morn.

I did feel that sometimes it would have improved some characters to be more upset, but in other instances the feelings and emotions conveyed seem perfect for the situation.

While reading how the different groups deal with the situation you can’t help but wonder which you would join, obviously you’ll never have to know for sure by experiencing it or anything like it but it is easy to see the points of view of the groups and how it would be easy to be swayed by them.

This isn’t a very long book, but after reading it you will wish there is more to it. There is a follow up book called The Night of the Triffids (by Simon Clark), which does continue the same story some 25 years later. I’d suggest looking at getting that as well if you enjoy The Day Of The Triffids
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 12/01/07 at 00:23
Regular
"Captain to you."
The Day of the Triffids for me is one of my favourite books, i have only read it quite recently but it was on story that i read through in a pretty short period of time just because when i had a spare minute i would start reading again.

The title of the book is somewhat misleading, most people before they pick up the book know what a Triffid is, purely from some childhood memory from TV or someone will have mentioned it. I’m not sure when I first new was a Triffid was but I remember watching an episode when I was very young of the TV series and it scared the hell out of me.

For those to young or just simply have never been told, a Triffid is a fictional plant about 8 feet high that can walk and has a poisonous stinger. I’m not going to ruin the book by telling the story or too much information at this point.

Reading the description above you could assume that the book was about the Triffids going around poisoning everyone, but really that isn’t what book is about.

The book is a look at how Humans deal with catastrophes and loss. It gives examples of how different types of people deal with a situation and how even if you have the best intentions you might not always be right.

It makes you consider if working towards the short term in the hopes of a quick solution is the right path while saving thousands, or having to make sacrifices and working towards a long-term solution under the assumption that it will never be fixed.

The story revolves around one man who encounters groups of people dealing with a terrible situation differently while trying to decide how he thinks it is best to deal with it.

Some parts of the book deal with death in an almost cold way, to the point that characters will have just lost someone very important to them and yet they seem to get on with life almost straight away, obviously the situation they are in means that they don’t have time to morn.

I did feel that sometimes it would have improved some characters to be more upset, but in other instances the feelings and emotions conveyed seem perfect for the situation.

While reading how the different groups deal with the situation you can’t help but wonder which you would join, obviously you’ll never have to know for sure by experiencing it or anything like it but it is easy to see the points of view of the groups and how it would be easy to be swayed by them.

This isn’t a very long book, but after reading it you will wish there is more to it. There is a follow up book called The Night of the Triffids (by Simon Clark), which does continue the same story some 25 years later. I’d suggest looking at getting that as well if you enjoy The Day Of The Triffids

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.