GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yu-gi-oh! GX: Spirit Caller (DS)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Spirit Caller'.
Thu 11/01/07 at 02:53
Regular
"Captain to you."
I’ve been a fan of the Yu-gi-oh! cartoon series since it started airing over here on Saturday mornings. Before I start Yu-gi-oh! GX isn’t the same as Yu-gi-oh!, it is a spin off series of sorts with different characters and doesn’t revolve around Yu-gi-oh! at all.

The first time I came across a computer version of the Yu-gi-oh! franchise was on the PC some years back which later lead to an online version of the game which for a time was free but then they got greedy and started charging to play it. That game was just the basic Yu-gi-oh! card game that is played in the series, there was no story, no character development only playing the game and arranging your cards.

The Yu-gi-oh! games have come a long way since then and this latest and most will say greatest version is a huge improvement. You play as an unknown duellist(that’s what they call the card players) who has just joined the duellist academy to become a professional, you meet up straight away with the main character from the Yu-gi-oh! GX series although you are the main character in this story within the GX universe.

For those of you that have never seen or heard of Yu-gi-oh! I’ll try to explain some of what it is about in the simplest terms possible without going in to the game rules. The Yu-gi-oh! GX universe is where kids and adults main source of entertainment is a card game, this game has many rules and each card represents something be it a monster, spell or trap. The player has to play these cards in turns to beat the other player. I could go a lot deeper in at this point but frankly it would take forever and the deeper you get the more you need to explain. Don’t get me wrong this game really isn’t that hard, after all it’s aimed mostly at children but playing it is a lot easier than trying to explain it.

The game it self is a RPG of sorts, you must level up your character while improving your equipment (in this case cards) you use money to buy new cards like in other RPG where you would use it for swords, armour or any items really. There is a main map you navigate around to find buildings and other duellists to battle. When the battle (card game) starts this is where fans of the games and series will be impressed.

The Nintendo DS’s two screens is a huge advantage to a game like this, the basic board and card positions are displayed on the bottom touch screen, this is where you can choose your moves and place down cards. The touch screen’s interactively lends itself well to the game, giving that something extra that using a d-pad to move through your options just doesn't have.

The top screen of the DS is used to display full models of the monsters, magic and trap cards that are played in each turn. This unlike other Yu-gi-oh! games were you only had pictures on cards gives you a game that is much closer to the cartoon series in visuals, after all having a little 3d model attack another 3d model is much better than just two picture cards on the screen with numbers coming off them.

This is defiantly the one Yu-gi-oh! game anyone that enjoyed the series should try out, and even if you haven’t played the Yu-gi-oh! card game before it’s really not to difficult to pick up and learn, there is a great tutorial within the game and even a whole virtual room within the game dedicated to explaining every rule should you ever feel the need to read up on it.

The one huge development over the previous DS Yu-gi-oh! game is the inclusion of Wi-Fi mode, meaning you can play people from around the world with the card deck you have grained during the game, this can lead to many many more hours once you have finished the game and getting a friend to pick it up to is a good idea for some duelling action in the same room.

This game will last a pretty long time and the story is pretty good, fans of Yu-gi-oh! this is something you have to own.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 11/01/07 at 02:53
Regular
"Captain to you."
I’ve been a fan of the Yu-gi-oh! cartoon series since it started airing over here on Saturday mornings. Before I start Yu-gi-oh! GX isn’t the same as Yu-gi-oh!, it is a spin off series of sorts with different characters and doesn’t revolve around Yu-gi-oh! at all.

The first time I came across a computer version of the Yu-gi-oh! franchise was on the PC some years back which later lead to an online version of the game which for a time was free but then they got greedy and started charging to play it. That game was just the basic Yu-gi-oh! card game that is played in the series, there was no story, no character development only playing the game and arranging your cards.

The Yu-gi-oh! games have come a long way since then and this latest and most will say greatest version is a huge improvement. You play as an unknown duellist(that’s what they call the card players) who has just joined the duellist academy to become a professional, you meet up straight away with the main character from the Yu-gi-oh! GX series although you are the main character in this story within the GX universe.

For those of you that have never seen or heard of Yu-gi-oh! I’ll try to explain some of what it is about in the simplest terms possible without going in to the game rules. The Yu-gi-oh! GX universe is where kids and adults main source of entertainment is a card game, this game has many rules and each card represents something be it a monster, spell or trap. The player has to play these cards in turns to beat the other player. I could go a lot deeper in at this point but frankly it would take forever and the deeper you get the more you need to explain. Don’t get me wrong this game really isn’t that hard, after all it’s aimed mostly at children but playing it is a lot easier than trying to explain it.

The game it self is a RPG of sorts, you must level up your character while improving your equipment (in this case cards) you use money to buy new cards like in other RPG where you would use it for swords, armour or any items really. There is a main map you navigate around to find buildings and other duellists to battle. When the battle (card game) starts this is where fans of the games and series will be impressed.

The Nintendo DS’s two screens is a huge advantage to a game like this, the basic board and card positions are displayed on the bottom touch screen, this is where you can choose your moves and place down cards. The touch screen’s interactively lends itself well to the game, giving that something extra that using a d-pad to move through your options just doesn't have.

The top screen of the DS is used to display full models of the monsters, magic and trap cards that are played in each turn. This unlike other Yu-gi-oh! games were you only had pictures on cards gives you a game that is much closer to the cartoon series in visuals, after all having a little 3d model attack another 3d model is much better than just two picture cards on the screen with numbers coming off them.

This is defiantly the one Yu-gi-oh! game anyone that enjoyed the series should try out, and even if you haven’t played the Yu-gi-oh! card game before it’s really not to difficult to pick up and learn, there is a great tutorial within the game and even a whole virtual room within the game dedicated to explaining every rule should you ever feel the need to read up on it.

The one huge development over the previous DS Yu-gi-oh! game is the inclusion of Wi-Fi mode, meaning you can play people from around the world with the card deck you have grained during the game, this can lead to many many more hours once you have finished the game and getting a friend to pick it up to is a good idea for some duelling action in the same room.

This game will last a pretty long time and the story is pretty good, fans of Yu-gi-oh! this is something you have to own.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.