GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My E3 Thoughts..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/05/04 at 20:32
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
To be honest, this has been one of the most exciting E3’s for Nintendo yet, and this comes from a person who wasn’t particularly interested 48 hours ago. I’ve watched all the footage, I’ve seen all the screenshots, and I’ve read all the descriptions, just as you lot most probably have too. Here are my thoughts.

The Nintendo DS – It’s ugly. But just look at its vast and drool inspiring capabilities that it has underneath its unattractive shell. People always tell me that looks don’t matter, and DS certainly doesn’t have them in my opinion, plus the fact that there is a good inch or two around the screens in which there could have been some expansion. That annoyed me a tad, but when then look at the DS’s graphical capabilities, touch screen, wireless features, backwards compatibility and much more, I’m compelled to want to own one. Apparently it sits somewhere between the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube in terms of its abilities. I don’t know why Nintendo aren’t calling this the next GBA to be honest. Time will tell.

Metroid Prime: Hunters - This is the first title that will appear on the DS that was shown in the E3 press conference. Not only do the graphics look smooth enough to accommodate the gameplay options experienced in the 'Cube version of Metroid Prime, but the thing that I find most revolutionary is the fact that when you want to shoot, you just tap the area of the screen in which you wish to fire. Like most DS games its bound to be tricky to control at first, but when you consider four-player battle…just bring it on.

Super Mario 64 x 4 - God only knows what is going on here. To be honest it is hard to comment on this game when you think about the limited footage we have been shown, but it certainly looks something. From what I’ve seen the frame rate is pretty impressive, even if the graphics only live up to SM64 standards. Without an analogue stick though, this could be a bit messy. We’ll have to wait and see…

Wario Ware DS – Looks very ripped from its GBA counterpart, but with this being such a strange and diverse title, paired up with the DS, I can see the possibilities of multiple mini-games and activities appearing on both screens at once. Seems exciting, if a little familiar. I can also imagine the touch screen and voice recognition features playing a big role in this one.

Pictochat – This extremely simple little gizmo, which involves inputting what you want your friend to see on the lower screen, and seeing what people have sent you on the upper screen, seems to be an alternative way of contact when you are out and about. I can’t see this being sold; it surely must come free with the DS. Not a bad feature if it is though.

Mario Kart DS – YES! This is the DS game I was most hoping for, and Nintendo have delivered. It may be early stages, just as everything else is, but the footage I’ve seen is certainly on par with the N64 title, and the actual game seems to be a cross between the Mario Kart’s of the N64 and the Gamecube. When you consider that there are eight other characters racing all at once on highly styled courses, you realise this machines power. All I hope is that they add music to the game, because when I watched the footage there was none, which made it feel awfully bare. I can’t see Nintendo not doing this however.

Animal Crossing DS - This one really surprised me, as I wasn’t expecting it to get a DS release. Watching the video confirmed why it is coming out on the new handheld. Remember how painfully boring scouring through menus and writing messages on the Gamecube version? Wave bye-bye to that with the new touch screen. Also, with the Wi-fi feature that DS has, surely there will be a visiting towns mode, where you can walk around a friends town on one screen and see what they are doing in your town on the other. And the same with item swapping. This has the ability to be revolutionary.

Okay, that’s enough about the DS, although there are a couple of other impressive titles and showcases like the Super Mario Bros Incarnation, and a special Pacman game supposedly comparable to Pacman Vs. There were also a few GBA peripherals and games that caught my eye, ranging from the new Donkey Kong games, through all the Mario re-hashes and to Zelda: The Minish Cap, which is also looking like a prospect. But what really blew me away at this E3 was the quality of the Gamecube coverage.

The Legend Of Zelda GC - Come on…I had to mention it. It isn’t going to be out for at least a year, I grant you that, but that doesn’t mean I can’t wet myself in anticipation. This is why I bought a ‘Cube, to be blunt. I would go on about some of the nice looking ideas that it touches upon in the footage we see, but I won’t. I think you guys know as well as I do how much this game means to us. I’m not Link; but I do know him.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - I don’t know what to think about this one. Being a very moderate fan of the original, I’m not as excited as many are at the sequel; it all looks a tad ripped to me, and void of anything that will change the basics of the original. I suppose if it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it, but Nintendo are there to impress me on this one, as I feel unconvinced about it at the moment.

Geist - Last E3, when this game was first unveiled I was extremely excited. To me, it seemed to replace a gushing gap that was due to the departure of Rare. It looked like my type of game, and straight from Nintendo. My perspective of this after watching a lengthy piece of footage from Geist however was changed. It seems to be very puzzle/adventure based, with only a lick of shooting action, which has left me a bit bitter. I wanted this in the way it was shown last E3 – it looks a tad on the shoddy side now.

Star Fox - I quite like the look of this, although I did say the same thing about the last Star Fox game, which turned out to be awful. The footage at least showed a lot of variation and action in the game, which doesn’t look too fiddly to control either. Like everything, we’ve really got to wait and see how it develops. Oh, and lets not hope those god awful arwing missions from Starfox Adventures either aren’t included, or are spruced up a great deal.

Donkey Konga & Jungle Beat - Right, now I don’t know what is going on here but whilst I really like the look of Donkey Konga, this Jungle Beat business seems to be trying to use a peripheral that won’t work with the style of game. I’m sorry but if Nintendo intended making the Congo Drums for Jungle Beat as well as Donkey Konga then I’d be surprised. I think it’d have been better just to stick to Donkey Konga, and then a possible sequel. We’ll see.

Killer 7 - Ahhhhh, this is looking as mysteriously beautiful as ever. I don’t feel as though I can comment on this too greatly, but it looks like everything we see regularly on other formats, but different. Not bad different, but I’ll reserve full judgement on this one until I play it. The latest movies look very tasty though.

Resident Evil 4 - I wasn’t overwhelmed by this a couple of weeks ago. The vast screenshots and short blurry footage didn’t drop my jaw by any stretch of the imagination. After seeing the E3 trailer, in which the lead character enters a town to be confronted with a gang of zombies before bashing their heads off, it started to get good. Watch the footage, then you’ll know how much I’m looking forward to this one right now.

Advance Wars - Now I wasn’t a huge Advance Wars fan when it was on the GBA, but this is looking fantastic. It kind of looks to me like a cross between Conflict Desert Storm, and Worms 3D, but either way, this one looks as if it could be a big hit.

Mario Tennis - This was one of the best 2-player titles on the N64, and I have faith in Nintendo that they can better it on the Gamecube. I don’t think we’ll see an RPG on-the-side aspect to the game which I was hoping might be included from the Gameboy title, but that doesn’t detract too much from the fact that this is one of my most wanted ‘Cube titles.

Paper Mario 2 - I loved the N64 version of Paper Mario, so chances are I’m also going to take an instant attraction to this little beauty. The sheer quantity of mini-games and the inclusion of vast amounts of Nintendo’s mascots seem to bring this on the right track. It’s looking good.

Pikmin 2 - I think the Famitsu scores speak for themselves. I have no doubt that this game will surpass its sequel, and still keep the fresh and simple feel that the original had. I’m also glad to hear that the timed play feature will be cut out, which is good from my point of view as the original didn’t suit rushing. I’m looking forward to this immensely.

Obviously there are a few titles I missed out, like Viewtiful Joe 2, Rainbow Six 3 and the intriguing ‘Amazing Island’, a cel shaded game from Sega. I just commented on the titles I am most excited about, and there are evidently a lot of them. This has certainly been the most surprise-packed and mouth watering E3 I’ve ever known, and it just makes the wait for each and every one of these games to hit the shelves all the more agonising. Anyway, I think Nintendo have pulled off a brilliant rescue job in this E3. Mr. Miyamoto, now is the time I wish for you to carry my child.
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:47
Regular
Point taken, and dammit.
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:44
Regular
No sir
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:44
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
You can edit posts. :-)
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:43
Regular
There's a lot of E3 news online that I can't really be bothered to read through, but can any of you kind sirs tell me if there has been any news on Shenmue 3, for any platform?
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:42
Regular
There's a lot of E3 news online that I
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:37
Regular
Yeah, Nintendo have taken this E3 by storm.

Microsoft presented a thoroughly disappointing showcase and while Sony was good, they weren't a patch on Nintendo's slew of information.

Clear winners :-D
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:30
Regular
"Teal'c"
The more I look at the DS, the more I actually want one.
My forts.
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:28
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Pfft.

Ah well, 8-player will still rock.

Yey.
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:28
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Solskjær wrote:
> Is it true Nintendo have also announced they will
> FINALLY be releasing the original Animal
> Crossing
across Europe???

September 27th my chum.
Thu 13/05/04 at 18:26
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
AfroJoe wrote:
> I'm wetting myself at the prospect of 16-player Mario Kart over
> wireless link-up. It's doubtful I'll know 16 people that will buy a
> DS, but still, the possibilities are immense.

'Fraid Mario Kart DS is a pitful 8 player. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.