GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A worrier for Doom 3 multiplayer?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Mon 24/05/04 at 11:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I read an article the other day about someone who worked at the E3 convention, ushering people around the stalls. Apparently, after it had closed, and the more private functions were going on, the Xboxes that had been running the Doom 3 demos were turned off and Halo 1 put in instead. So, taking a console with a copy of Doom 3 and playing Halo 1 on it instead - does that say anything about what to expect from Doom 3 to you? I love the Doom series, so I hope they don't balls it up.
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:35
Regular
": ("
Wait until about a month before.

Or get them both on the Xbox.
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:28
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
is it worth me spending £300+ on a graphics card that I want though.

The Geforce XFX 5950?

I think it is. The one I have at the mo is the Gefoce 4 Ti 4800. It's an amazing card and plays Far Cry on everything maxed out with just a little slow down. The thing is, I don't want to make HL2 or Doom3 which i have ordered, look cheap. Also I have 5 months till they're out and by that time, there'll be a better one than the 5950 for the same price.

What you'll think ?
Tue 25/05/04 at 16:16
"High polygon count"
mattributé wrote:
> I just want one set of euipment which will play a couple of hundred
> games - no upgrades, no 'newer models' every 6 months - just gaming

Too true!

When I bought my current PC from SR in June 2001, I opted for the (then) new GeForce 3 64MB card. It added about £400 to the price of the machine (and I had to wait for SR to get stocks, it was that new), but it has been well worth it.

It's not often a graphics card will last you 3 years before it just about starts to struggle with the latest games. I'm only just having to start thinking about upgrades of any kind, not just graphics cards. Not bad going, I reckon.

The only one it has really lacked on is Far Cry, where I had to lower settings - but even that looked good. I've been running IGI2, Chrome, MoH and Call of Duty maxed out with no problems at all.

Personally, I've no preference on graphics cards - nVidia or ATi - I just happened to get the GeForce because it was the absolute top-spec at the time; if I'd bought the machine a few months earlier or later, it could well have been an ATi card.

As long as it plays the games in reasonable detail, that's all I'm worried about. I'm not going to cry over a few extra particle effects and such like.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:54
Regular
"Touched!"
Some places are now selling the X800, Ali - looks like a quality card but I have a funny feeling most will hold out for the XT version.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:31
Regular
Well there's not much hassle if you upgrade every few years, just like you "upgrade" from one console to another - for improved specs.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:19
Regular
"tokyo police club"
All this is the exact reason I'll never be a PC gamer.

I just want one set of euipment which will play a couple of hundred games - no upgrades, no 'newer models' every 6 months - just gaming
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:12
Regular
Those raving about the 6800 clearly haven't seen the X800 due out in a couple of months, not only that but I am more impressed by my 9800 XT than an Nvidia Card which will no doubt deliver more than half less than they say it will do, apart from the odd game which they strike a deal with as part of advertisements so the developers tweak the game to run top whack on the latest drivers, even then ATI drivers (despite being slightly unstable at times) come up top trumps on Nvidia advertised products.
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
The ATI one is better, apparently.
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> [URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG4628_xfx_geforce_6800_u.html?old_code=GG4628[/URL]

Thats the beast I've got my eyes on, along with a new motherboard, memory and 64 bit athlon. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:17
"High polygon count"
[URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG4628_xfx_geforce_6800_u.html?old_code=GG4628[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.