GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Titanic sinking - Natural or Human Disaster?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/01/07 at 00:17
Regular
"I may return"
I thought I'd better post this before Machie and Garin have nothing left to say about it. (As if Machie and Garin would ever run out of things to say)
There are many reasons for the sinking of The Titanic to be a human disaster. One reason being the fact there were only 20 life boats on board, meaning that less than half the passengers, not including the crew, would not be safe when the ship went under. Another human error was that look-outs may not have had any binoculars, however this wasn't proved, but would made the fact that the Titanic was speeding through the ocean, even though the crew had been warned about the icebergs that were sighted earlier in the region even worse, because he couldn't see the iceberg until they were much closer, and to late to aviod the it. After the Titanic was peirced by the iceberg, 5 of the 16 water-tight compartments were flooded, if only 4 got flooded the ship would have stayed afloat, the extra flooding was partly due to the fact that the water-tight compartments were not built to the very top, meaning that the water flowed over the top of the doors flooding more compartments. Only 703 out of the 2200 travellers survived, this is related back to the first point, about the lifeboats. However it isn't just that there weren't enough, but when they first tried to get the passengers into the lifeboats, no one believed that the ship was sinking, therefore no one planned to get on and the first few lifeboats were sent away with less than half the full capacity.

Even though there were many human errors, nature played a part in this disaster. Such as the iceberg, completely natural, no relation to mankind at all, therefore cannot be human error, and it was the iceberg that caused the hole, that allowed the water to overflow 5 compartments, making the ship sink. Darkness was another factor that contributed to the sinking of the Titanic, if it weren't dark then the look-out would have seen the iceberg in time for the ship to turn and possibly miss it.

So, was it a human disaster or natural? I'll leave you lot to argue about it.
Also, please consider that even though there are more human errors than natural, most of the human errors are linked. So its about half and half of each.
Sun 07/01/07 at 00:17
Regular
"I may return"
I thought I'd better post this before Machie and Garin have nothing left to say about it. (As if Machie and Garin would ever run out of things to say)
There are many reasons for the sinking of The Titanic to be a human disaster. One reason being the fact there were only 20 life boats on board, meaning that less than half the passengers, not including the crew, would not be safe when the ship went under. Another human error was that look-outs may not have had any binoculars, however this wasn't proved, but would made the fact that the Titanic was speeding through the ocean, even though the crew had been warned about the icebergs that were sighted earlier in the region even worse, because he couldn't see the iceberg until they were much closer, and to late to aviod the it. After the Titanic was peirced by the iceberg, 5 of the 16 water-tight compartments were flooded, if only 4 got flooded the ship would have stayed afloat, the extra flooding was partly due to the fact that the water-tight compartments were not built to the very top, meaning that the water flowed over the top of the doors flooding more compartments. Only 703 out of the 2200 travellers survived, this is related back to the first point, about the lifeboats. However it isn't just that there weren't enough, but when they first tried to get the passengers into the lifeboats, no one believed that the ship was sinking, therefore no one planned to get on and the first few lifeboats were sent away with less than half the full capacity.

Even though there were many human errors, nature played a part in this disaster. Such as the iceberg, completely natural, no relation to mankind at all, therefore cannot be human error, and it was the iceberg that caused the hole, that allowed the water to overflow 5 compartments, making the ship sink. Darkness was another factor that contributed to the sinking of the Titanic, if it weren't dark then the look-out would have seen the iceberg in time for the ship to turn and possibly miss it.

So, was it a human disaster or natural? I'll leave you lot to argue about it.
Also, please consider that even though there are more human errors than natural, most of the human errors are linked. So its about half and half of each.
Sun 07/01/07 at 01:37
Regular
"I may return"
Actually, I am just going to quote Machie and Garin, and hope that the argument continues :P
Regular
"I may return"
Machie wrote:
> It was both.
>
> There you go, glad I could help ^^.
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> Machie gets it wrong as usual. :p
Sun 07/01/07 at 01:38
Regular
"I may return"
Machie wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> Machie gets it wrong as usual. :p
>
> Oh, please do elaborate =) I've never lost a debate to you
> before Garin ;P
Regular
"I may return"
Machie wrote:
> I've not seen the Titanic movie like Garin, so I'm just going
> with the knowledge I've gathered from watching documentaries.
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> I've not seen the Titanic movie like Garin, so I'm just going
> with the knowledge I've gathered from watching documentaries.
>
> Maybe you should have watched the movie then (I've never seen it
> either). :P If you want to think humans sailing into an iceberg
> is a natural disaster, go ahead. You're free to think anything
> you like. :)
Regular
"I may return"
Machie wrote:
> Natural Disaster
> An emergency situation posing significant danger to life and
> property that results from a natural cause.
>
> Surely an iceberg is a natural cause. If there was no iceberg
> then the Titanic wouldnt have sunk =)
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> Natural Disaster
> An emergency situation posing significant danger to life and
> property that results from a natural cause.
>
> Surely an iceberg is a natural cause. If there was no iceberg
> then the Titanic wouldnt have sunk =)
>
> I never knew sailing a ship into an iceberg was a natural event.
> The iceberg wasnt the cause anymore than a mountain is the cause
> if you fly a plane into it
Sun 07/01/07 at 01:39
Regular
"I may return"
Machie wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> I never knew sailing a ship into an iceberg was a natural
> event.
> The iceberg wasnt the cause anymore than a mountain is the
> cause
> if you fly a plane into it.
>
> You're comparing a stationary mountain with a floating iceberg
> though Garin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.