GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the nintendo 64 is nintendo's worst console."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 16:50
Regular
First of all there was the matter of the cost of the console, i saved week after week for about two years to buy the console on it's day of release. Altogether I saved £300, just enought to but the console and mario 64. I read that supplies of the console were impossible to get a hold of cos it was that popular. About 1 month later the console dropped in price to only £150 and suddenly there wasn't a shortage in them anymore. No now nintendo so that they neede to sell more console to try and catch up to the sales of the playstaion, that was all well and good for them, but I wonder if they stopped to think how many of their true fans they had just ripped off with the price drop. Also on a whole the sofware for the n64 has been rubbish, altogether i would say that about 20 value for money titles were realesed and about 85% of these were made by nintendo or rare. So what this means this means is that the n64 was just too hard to develope for. Plus nintendo were too ignorant to drop the cartidge idea and use CD's ocs they were worried about games being copied. I suppose at first that sounds like an ok idea but it stopped quality companies like squaresoft developing games like Final Fantasy for the console. All in all i think that if you bought an n64 like i did, instead of a playstation then you missed out on an incredible generation of gaming. Even though i am one of nintendo's most loyal customers i am seriously considering wheather it would be worth buying a gamecube, I think i may very well be forced to turn to Playstaion 2 cos i don't want to miss another generation of quality console gaming.
Wed 11/07/01 at 16:50
First of all there was the matter of the cost of the console, i saved week after week for about two years to buy the console on it's day of release. Altogether I saved £300, just enought to but the console and mario 64. I read that supplies of the console were impossible to get a hold of cos it was that popular. About 1 month later the console dropped in price to only £150 and suddenly there wasn't a shortage in them anymore. No now nintendo so that they neede to sell more console to try and catch up to the sales of the playstaion, that was all well and good for them, but I wonder if they stopped to think how many of their true fans they had just ripped off with the price drop. Also on a whole the sofware for the n64 has been rubbish, altogether i would say that about 20 value for money titles were realesed and about 85% of these were made by nintendo or rare. So what this means this means is that the n64 was just too hard to develope for. Plus nintendo were too ignorant to drop the cartidge idea and use CD's ocs they were worried about games being copied. I suppose at first that sounds like an ok idea but it stopped quality companies like squaresoft developing games like Final Fantasy for the console. All in all i think that if you bought an n64 like i did, instead of a playstation then you missed out on an incredible generation of gaming. Even though i am one of nintendo's most loyal customers i am seriously considering wheather it would be worth buying a gamecube, I think i may very well be forced to turn to Playstaion 2 cos i don't want to miss another generation of quality console gaming.
Wed 11/07/01 at 17:06
What is this blasphamy doing on this board!!! j/k

You are entitled to your opinion but you haven't justified why the Nintendo 64 was actually the worst console. The first half of your paragraph is nothing to do with how bad the console is because its a personal (Cash restriction)complaint and not a quality one. If you've based your argument on this why are you getting a PS2 that costs £269 over a Gamecube which will cost £100 less.

Stick said>
>All in all i think that if you bought an n64 like i did, >instead of a playstation then you missed out on an >incredible generation of gaming.

Ahahaha this is the biggest load of b/s i've ever heard. The N64 had as many good games as the Playstation and maybe a lot more. This statement can go visa versa. If you bought a Playstation over an N64 the same would have happened.
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:11
Regular
"DS..."
n64 rules and greystation sucks, nuff said...
slik !_!
Wed 11/07/01 at 20:48
I disagree. SHUT UP MOANING. WWF NO MERCY MAKES N64 A GOOD CONSOLE!!!
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:48
I have to point out that your thought of the N64 being the worst console is rubbish. OK you did make a valid point of the lack of third party support which is really needed for a console to be truly successful. The N64 was quite difficult to create games for but the reason for the lack of support was due to the cost in producing cartridges compared to cost of cd. The reason Nintendo decided to use cartridge format was to cut the cost of manufacturing the machine. As you can see this was a mistake for the big N and if you examine the GameCube more closely (which uses a disc format over cartridges) you will find that the support that the N64 never had IS with the GC. As for moaning about the price, you say you paid £300 when it first came out and now you are thinking about paying the same for the PS2. All I can say is don't bother for now. There are few games which are worth owning a PS2 for. If you can wait, save a little more money and get a GameCube for £200 and a small collection of games. If you cannot wait, there's the Dreamcast for £100. The quality and price of games for DC makes it well worth it. Beleive me, I own all the named machines above.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The original poster was wrong in every possible way.

Why?

Because nintendo have made 2 consoles worse than the N64:

1) The Virtual Boy. A 3D games machine to replace the Game boy. Problem: games were only in red; there were no developers; there was no marketting; you had to calibrate the machine; some games didn't even use the 3D; it gaves people headaches; it cost millions to make, but sold about 10 machines... etc

2) the 64DD. After having spent millions on the console, Ninty only released 100,000 in Japan, with 1 month internet time and only a handful of games. Not only this, but the console had been delayed million of times.

The N64... Ninty's worst! Pah! This is the console the brought the reality of 3D gaming home for the first time (Mario 64). That said, I personally prefer the PSX's choice.

Sonic
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:18
I wanted to buy the Virtual Boy, and was actually upset when it didn't come out here in wide volumes.Then I heard it gave you headaches after 1 minute of play.
Thu 12/07/01 at 09:47
Regular
"DS..."
Thu 12/07/01 at 09:54
Regular
"not dead"
Sonic Rav has got it spot on there!

I was actually living in Canada when the Virtual Boy was released, and nearly bought one, but decided to pick up a Gameboy instead.

Shame really, the Virtual Boy would have been a cool thing to own, simply for the 'I had one of those' factor.

The problem with the N64 is that it was SO much better, and so different from the SNES. As such the development kits were very different from what had been seen before, so companies other than those under Nintendo's wing struggled to make the best of them, and 3rd party support dwindled.

The N64 never took off in Japan as there was a lack of software in the early stages, so gamers got sick of waiting, and went out and bought Playstations instead. It was, and still is, very popular in the USA.

I've enjoyed my N64, and have played some fantastic games, like Mario64, ISS, Zelda OoT and MM, DK64, Banjo Tooie, Mario Kart, Goldeneye.... There were plenty of top titles that I never got too, like Jet Force Jemini, Perfect Dark etc.

It's true that the N64 was poorly supported, but Nintendo and Rare truely made the best of it.
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:58
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
Id say that the n64 and the dreamcast shared one thing they were both ahead of there time instead of easy to make clunky psx graphics developers had to take more time and effort to make games due to nintendos michine which was a pity!!
But now with the next batch of next gen consoles this should no longer be an issue.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.