GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PLACE BETS NOW!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 15:07
Regular
How long before the GC is piarted?

Fact: every console is pirayed eventually. Even the N64 with it carts and the DC with its GDs have been pirated. Eventually someone will manage to use a CD-R to fool the console into thinking it is a GC disc... jkust like they have done with the DC.

So how long will this take? My bet is... 7 months after japanese launch.

Sonic
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
How long before the GC is piarted?

Fact: every console is pirayed eventually. Even the N64 with it carts and the DC with its GDs have been pirated. Eventually someone will manage to use a CD-R to fool the console into thinking it is a GC disc... jkust like they have done with the DC.

So how long will this take? My bet is... 7 months after japanese launch.

Sonic
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:23
Piracy WILL happen for the GameCube, but the harder it is to pirate the games, the less likely that much will happen.

So i'm not pLACING ANY 'BETS' as you said, but even though it will happen, they will eventually give up.
Wed 11/07/01 at 20:18
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
if you can copy dvds with a normal cd writter (it may take 24 hours to complete and rip all the files onto your hardisk )so the same can be done with the mini disk things , i reckon up to 8 months maybe a year after the japanese release then by the time it reaches these shores there will be loads of pirating programs on the net and most likely we too will have these programs , copying and selling , i have the dvd ripping files , but it takes ages to copy so i gave up.
Wed 11/07/01 at 20:22
I reckon that it'll be about * months after the Japanese
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> if you can copy dvds with a normal cd writter (it may take 24 hours
> to complete and rip all the files onto your hardisk )so the same can
> be done with the mini disk things , i reckon up to 8 months maybe a
> year after the japanese release then by the time it reaches these
> shores there will be loads of pirating programs on the net and most
> likely we too will have these programs , copying and selling , i
> have the dvd ripping files , but it takes ages to copy so i gave
> up.

Kidha! Anyway... u missed the point. DVD cannot be copied on normal CD-R drives!

What happened with the Dc (and what MIGHT happen with the GC) is this:

The DC does not use CD's... it uses GDs... like CD's but designed differently so that only Sega can make them.

What the pirates did was that they took a normal CD, knowing that DCs play audio CDs, and programmed it so that the console thinks that it is a GD, and not a CD. It will then happily play any copied games.

Sonic
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:10
Pirating is bad for the industry, bad for the developers, and bad for the consumers... unless you're a pirate.
Thu 12/07/01 at 00:47
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> if you can copy dvds with a normal cd writter (it may take 24 hours
> to complete and rip all the files onto your hardisk )

That is absolute rubbish. DVD and CD are two totally different formats - like cassette tapes and records. A CD-R cannot write onto a DVD and trying to claim otherwise is verging on idiotic.

The Gamecube will not be "pirated" for a LONG time as it uses a propriety DVD format. The propriety bit isn't the problem as you can physically cut a DVD smaller and not effect the storage of data on the remaining section (so long as you don't remove index files etc...) What is the problem is that it still costs far too much to write a DVD on a home DVD writer (hardware costs and the blank disks). At the moment it is about three times more expensive to buy a blank DVD that one with a film one it... okay, it is a long time since I checked the prices so they may have fallen a bit.

Anyway, piracy won't happen on the Gamecube for quite a while at it simply isn't clever as original titles would be cheaper than pirated ones.
Thu 12/07/01 at 01:31
Regular
i thikn what he ment was rip all the files off a DVD and then burn them onto CD/CDs?
Thu 12/07/01 at 08:15
I've seen VCD's that are copies of DVD's.

You can buy mini CD's from the shops and there's probably a rewriter for it so the games might not be that hard to pirate.
Thu 12/07/01 at 09:14
Regular
"DS..."
i reckon it will take at least a year or two due to the discs sophisticated technology...but i could be wrong...
slik ?_?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.