GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Potty mouths"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/01 at 10:07
Regular
So. That ryjord guy got banned then. It seems that the reason for it was that he used bad language.

The difficulty here is deciding what is bad language. Radio1 have started using what was classed as bad language now during the day. You often hear Chris Moyles going on about his a--- (backside) during the day.

This brings up the topic of language in games. you hardly ever hear that kind of thing in a game, unless the game is of a top shelf nature. The occasional b---- (female dog) creeps in in the Alien franchise, but nothing like what we would expect opurselves to say in the same situation.

Say SSX, for example. If you jumped off a cliff, did a 720 back flip with a canadian back bacon and landed on your head, would you really say "oh my ego" or would you scream expletives at the top of your voice.

In certain senarios in games, bad language would be accepted by the gaming public. So why isnt it there? Well, the problem at the moment is that there is no age rating on the games. There are games that have started to (voluntarily) put an age rating on the games, ZOE is a 15 for example, yet because these measures are not compulsory the cencors of the games have to prepare the game for a younger audience.

But what it really boils down to is what suits the game and the situation. If on SSX, Moby changed his taunt to "YOU MUDDY FUNSTER!!!!" (you know what i mean) a lot less people would have bought it. Its a game for all ages. In Unreal, you dont really need it as youre usually shouting it yourself while youre playing, But in ganster games like GTA3 and The Getaway, if the characters were like "Shut it, you cretin, or I'll blow your blinkin toes off" then it would spoil a game that kids arent meant to be playing anyway.

So, the solution? Simple. most games for the PS2 have some kind of age rating on the back, though its not legally binding. Swap it so it is, or at least have the shops be aware of the ratings, and the games can use the content they want without it getting to the people that should be in bed. It's a bit harder to stop when the sales are net based, but then everything on the net is.

Except here, where the t------ (casual throwers) are rightly banned.....

slaveunit
Fri 06/07/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Slaveunit wrote:
Simple. most games for the PS2 have some kind of age rating on the back, though its not legally binding.

A few have age ratings that are legally binding. Red Faction and Z.O.E are both 15's and it is illegal to sell them to anyone under 15 as they carry the BBFC, this is want films use. The ElSPA rating like on Onimusha isnt legally binding and a 10 year old could buy it even though it has a 15 on it.

Z.O.E only had a 15 because of the MGS2 demo.
Fri 06/07/01 at 10:42
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Goatboy wrote:
And, the lesson learned from the past couple of days is:

Swear and you are gone.

Which I have no problem with.

Couldnt agree with you any more and a very good riddance to the idiot.....I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what he wrote....he was annoying with his stupid posts but language like that....

The trouble with these forums (not having a go at SR) is the regulation and unfortunately this would be impossible or just slow the system down to a ridiculous speed whilst it checked each message for language content!

Anyway it's done now so hopefully newbies (me included cos I still am one) better take note and remember take a little control over what your writing!
Fri 06/07/01 at 10:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Good point.
PC games are supplied with age ratings. Games like Kingpin have language to make a sailor blush, it's all down to if it says 18, you know what to expect.

These forums, however, a large percentage of users are not 18, and I think the language filter is a good thing.
It forces you to be more creative and amusing in insults,instead of just throwing out expletives.

And, the lesson learned from the past couple of days is:

Swear and you are gone.

Which I have no problem with.
Fri 06/07/01 at 10:07
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
So. That ryjord guy got banned then. It seems that the reason for it was that he used bad language.

The difficulty here is deciding what is bad language. Radio1 have started using what was classed as bad language now during the day. You often hear Chris Moyles going on about his a--- (backside) during the day.

This brings up the topic of language in games. you hardly ever hear that kind of thing in a game, unless the game is of a top shelf nature. The occasional b---- (female dog) creeps in in the Alien franchise, but nothing like what we would expect opurselves to say in the same situation.

Say SSX, for example. If you jumped off a cliff, did a 720 back flip with a canadian back bacon and landed on your head, would you really say "oh my ego" or would you scream expletives at the top of your voice.

In certain senarios in games, bad language would be accepted by the gaming public. So why isnt it there? Well, the problem at the moment is that there is no age rating on the games. There are games that have started to (voluntarily) put an age rating on the games, ZOE is a 15 for example, yet because these measures are not compulsory the cencors of the games have to prepare the game for a younger audience.

But what it really boils down to is what suits the game and the situation. If on SSX, Moby changed his taunt to "YOU MUDDY FUNSTER!!!!" (you know what i mean) a lot less people would have bought it. Its a game for all ages. In Unreal, you dont really need it as youre usually shouting it yourself while youre playing, But in ganster games like GTA3 and The Getaway, if the characters were like "Shut it, you cretin, or I'll blow your blinkin toes off" then it would spoil a game that kids arent meant to be playing anyway.

So, the solution? Simple. most games for the PS2 have some kind of age rating on the back, though its not legally binding. Swap it so it is, or at least have the shops be aware of the ratings, and the games can use the content they want without it getting to the people that should be in bed. It's a bit harder to stop when the sales are net based, but then everything on the net is.

Except here, where the t------ (casual throwers) are rightly banned.....

slaveunit

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.