GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Don't We Like The Games 'We' Do?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/01 at 00:17
Regular
Sounds silly, I know, BUT there is always an 'AAA' game that you hate. Whether it be Conker's Bad Fur Day, SSX, Sonic Adventure 2 or another, there is always a game, that no matter how hard you try, you can't stand; and you're completely mystified as to how or why it became so popular!

For me there are 3. Let's take Perfect Dark, as the first example. It was definitely an 'AAA' title, and arguably one of Rare's best games in the '64-Bit' era, but many, including myself didn't enjoy the game. But why?!

Maybe is was because 'It wasn't Bond'. Sounds daft, I know, but as Meka Dragon said with regards to the Mascot post, an illustrious character can make all the difference when he/she/it endorses a product. Maybe, because Joanna wasn't a recognised figure outside of videogames, people didn't take to the game. Also, as the 007 titles would no doubt go insequence from Goldeneye, I, along with others, was execting Tomorrow Never Dies, and so I waited for that! Also, it had a very Non-Nintendo theme... In a world of Pokémon and bright colours, Perfect Dark seemed somewhat out of sorts on a Nintendo console. It came as quite a shock!

The second game, i'll quickly mention is (The) Secret of Mana ( - Squaresoft). Again, another great game on the SNES, but after playing it for a while I couldn't understand why, or even how it was so popular amongst millions. Given that there is much to do in the game and the worlds, or levels, are very diverse I can kind of see why people would buy it through gut instinct. But surely not after reading reviews?!

Bust-A-Move was another. Another puzzle game to gap-fill the shelves in HMV. The only problem was, it was creating gaps, not filling them! Why was it so popular? It was just a fancied up version of Columns mixed with Behive Bedlam (Sky Digital > Open....)! I really can't see how, or why people would take to this game. It's samey, the graphics are frightfully basic. There is no diversity in the levels and the game bores 'you' in minutes! It's completely beyond me! At least it was!!!

After hours of thought (unfamiliar territory - had to take my time! :D), I came to the conclusion that there isn't anything in games that makes 'us' tick! We can't stereotype gamers as 'gamers' it just can't be done. We're all different... different hair, skin colour, eye colour. Different abilities and disabilities. But most important is the fact that we all have different personalities, and through these personalities we have preferances to all things, including games!. There is never going to be one game that we all like. Never.

So, in the years to come, you have to understand, that no matter how they try, games companies won't be able to meet the single demands of every consumer. Like the old saying goes. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Just because games have a shiney gold 'R' on the front doesn't mean that you'll enjoy them. Just because there is an red-capped plumber by the name of Mario in the game doesn't mean it will be the game for you! If you want a certain game but 'We' don't like it, fine! Remember - You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Life is full of choices.

Gaming is full of choices.

They're Your choices.

YOU Make them!

Get the console YOU Like!

Play the games YOU like!

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your views!

Game
Sat 07/07/01 at 12:28
"possibly impossible"
I totally agree that people's opinion on games is entirely subjective. The game has to actually appeal to you, and in some cases that means games that other people rave on about (Perfect Dark being a good example as can be seen by the previous comments) are not always going to be you're top titles as well.

One person's top game is another person's trash. It seems a harsh comment, but it is also true. The same can also be said for whole game genres too. Games companies always try to aim for their largest audience, but they are bound to miss someone out when they design their games. Still, there are enough different types of game to keep everyone happy it seems, so as long as we keep seeing divergence in the games market then it won't really matter too much if you don't like one sort of game, because there always will be others to play.
Sat 07/07/01 at 01:33
Regular
Do... don... don't like.... perf....perfect...Dark you don't like perfect DArk!!!!!!

(Dringo faints)
Sat 07/07/01 at 01:05
Regular
The Game wrote:
> I never understood the Famitsu /40 idea! I suppose it was /10 for
> Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Multiplayer/length.

Zelda:OOT got 40/40 in famitsu didnt it? only a handful of games have been given top marks by them.
Fri 06/07/01 at 23:26
LOL to that.
Fri 06/07/01 at 22:54
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
He must like Super Saiyan... He's been on level 2 for ages!

It must be hard!
Fri 06/07/01 at 22:04
OK then. Fair enough. What kind of games do you like, Super Gohan?
Fri 06/07/01 at 20:57
I went round a mates house and he let me have a crack on Zelda:Ocarina of Time, and I hated. I lost interest almost straight away.

This is not an argumant starter, as I know that there are lot of Zelda lovers out there, but I am certainly not one of them.
Fri 06/07/01 at 19:59
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Anyone have a copy of Fire Pro Wrestling or Tony Hawks that they don't want?!
Fri 06/07/01 at 19:38
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Wotcha on about WILLMAAAAA! PD was great, MGS was slightly challenging and also great but youre right about the rest!!

:-)
Fri 06/07/01 at 19:35
I hate Perfect Dark and MGS(but i want the sequel cause that looks quality)and i didnt like resi 3,i thought it was too easy and wasnt survival horror,it didnt have the edge like resi1,2 and code vernoica

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.