GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yamaha VS-10"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/07/01 at 16:58
Regular
Hi
Does anyone know of the above product? It is a home theatre system built for the PS2. Any comments?
Sat 07/07/01 at 12:50
Slaveunit wrote:
> Isnt the Creatice Labs one the one with the centre speaker that
> looks like the back end of a space shuttle?

its a bit too odd for
> me. PSM2 mag slated it a bit too, though i cant remember
> why.

when youre buying something like that the main thing you
> want to look for is sound quality, obviously, but take into
> consideration if you want to run other hi-fi equipment through it.
> some of the ones like the ones with the built in dvd players cannot
> take any other inputs at all, and if youre spending £400 or so
> on an amp you might want to run your CD/MD/MP3/DVD/VCR/Casette
> through it too, and if not, you might want to in the future. Its
> worth checking.

If your spending around £400 look no further than the Yamaha DSP-A5 around £350, I have one myself, it'll do everything including S-video and digital sound optical and co-axial, theres an obscene amount of inputs and it kicks out 75 watts per channel plus a sub's seperat channel, six channels in all, the explosions in red factions if you have decent speakers and a sub will shake any pictures off your walls and really p-off the neighbours---excellent.
Sat 07/07/01 at 12:45
Playa wrote:
> Hi
Does anyone know of the above product? It is a home theatre
> system built for the PS2. Any comments?

Hi there playa,
I don't know of that system but if it is Yamaha it is worth buying, I myself have a Yamaha DSP-A5 Dolby Digital amp, Yamaha Ns300 Surround speakers with active subwoofer and their Floor standing Ns200's (300w rms) main speakers. My system cost about £850-900, but the sound of Ps2 games, particulary 1st person shooters like unreal and red faction, in digital surround is a blast-literally, when the explosions go off the sub makes it feel like your room is collapsing around you like the scenery in the games, just be wary of the neighbours.
Take your Ps2 to any good indepentdent hi-fi shop and they'll show you what i mean- you won't believ your ears.
However if your on a budget and that system you talked of is a budget one I think it should be better than any creative or logic3 set up.
Pc world do a an active speaker and sub set by yamaha for pc's that works with sony stuff- it could be the same one, it's about 120 watts and costs around £80 watts, just don't turn it up full or the speakers will pop.

Hope this helps
Fri 06/07/01 at 17:54
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Bonus wrote:
> 13 days till I turn 19.

And that definitely makes me feel old!!
Fri 06/07/01 at 14:01
Regular
Ain't that a shame!!
Fri 06/07/01 at 13:51
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Bonus wrote:
> 13 days till I turn 19.

Humph! that made me feel old...
Fri 06/07/01 at 13:35
Regular
13 days till I turn 19.
Fri 06/07/01 at 13:26
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Bonus wrote:
> And if you don't want/need to spend massive amounts of money, then the Creative labs kit is immense, and SR have a really good price on it!!!

That's what swung it for me, the SR price £210, bargain.

I really should put a review into the reviews section!!

Bonus, 14 days to go?? Holiday looming, like wookie?
Fri 06/07/01 at 13:15
Regular
And if you don't want/need to spend massive amounts of money, then the Creative labs kit is immense, and SR have a really good price on it!!!
Fri 06/07/01 at 13:13
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Isnt the Creatice Labs one the one with the centre speaker that looks like the back end of a space shuttle?

Er....no, the centre speaker is slightly bigger than the surround sound speakers!

If your talking about the sub then I don't really care cos its out of sight behind the TV! Seeing as we've got a wooden floor the sound travels really well and doesn't get soaked up by any carpet.

It works for me and it is all down to personal taste, yep I agree with what you say about consideration for other inputs, I only wanted mine so I could watch DVD's with decent sound and also connect up my PS2.
Fri 06/07/01 at 11:57
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Isnt the Creatice Labs one the one with the centre speaker that looks like the back end of a space shuttle?

its a bit too odd for me. PSM2 mag slated it a bit too, though i cant remember why.

when youre buying something like that the main thing you want to look for is sound quality, obviously, but take into consideration if you want to run other hi-fi equipment through it. some of the ones like the ones with the built in dvd players cannot take any other inputs at all, and if youre spending £400 or so on an amp you might want to run your CD/MD/MP3/DVD/VCR/Casette through it too, and if not, you might want to in the future. Its worth checking.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.