GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS 2, The Plot and more..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/07/01 at 23:10
Regular
Yesterday I brought you the latest on FFX and now, the second biggest PS2 game on the horizion is pecked to pieces by the Raven!

First of all, what I know of the story from playing the Demo and watching the recent trailers:
As you may recall from the end of the first game(If u didn't actually play the first game,seek medical attention) Revolver Ocelot made it off Shadow Moses Island with the test data from Metal Gear Rex -- well, he sold that on the international black market, and as Otacon puts it in the beginning of the demo, every state, group and dot.com has its own version of Metal Gear. Thus, the arms race continues, with a new amphibious anti-Metal Gear vehicle code-named Ray designed to defeat its weaker ancestors. In response, the "Philanthropy" organization, a group formed by the UN to combat Metal Gear worldwide, sends its best agent to board the Discovery and get the dirt on Ray. That agent, of course, is Solid Snake, backed up by his old associate Otacon.

As Snake soon discovers, though, he's not the only one after Metal Gear. A rogue team from Spetsnaz, the former Soviet Army special forces, including Revolver Ocelot, sends in its commandos to take over the tanker and seize the Ray. It's there that the story fades into uncertainty, although you can bet that Ocelot will try playing both ends against the middle one more time. Several characters have been shown or spoken of without any indication of how they'll fit into the plot, including Fortune, the new Ninja, and Solidus Snake.

One big unanswered question concerning MGS2's story is which of Metal Gear Solid's two endings was the "real" one, i.e. from which one the sequel descends. The creators have not said which, but the evidence strongly points toward the "bad" ending, where Meryl Silverburgh died. Meryl is not mentioned anywhere in the MGS2 trailers or demo, although Mei Ling and Naomi Campbell are, and the Japanese seiyuu (voice actor) who played Meryl in MGS, Kyoko Terase, returns in MGS2 to play the role of Olga.

Next, graphics and stuff:
MGS2's character models are very refined, especially in terms of facial detail -- finally, the characters in a Metal Gear game have eyes (incidentally, those 3D faces now appear in the codec screen, too). They also have far more model detail adorning their bodies. Snake has all kinds of odds and ends attached to his web gear; Revolver Ocelot's gunbelts and duster coat look marvelous; Olga's baggy parachute pants provide an oddly voluminous counterpoint to her slight figure, and she has all sorts of weaponry attached to them or tucked inside.

The game's realtime cinemas (none of the cutscenes shown so far include any pre-rendered footage) provide a remarkable showcase for those characters. They are animated with amazing precision, and their direction shows an unshakably sure hand. The standoff between Snake and Olga, for example, shows excellent pacing amid some very complex bits of animation and camera direction -- it's the equal of any number of classic action films.

Okay, thats all I know for now, but before I leave you, I wanna talk to you about how stunning this game is, for those of you that have seen the trailer, let me direct you to the part where the protagonist, Solid Snake, seems pinned down in an storage area with his back to a shelf stocked with items and engulfed in a fire fight between multiple soldiers. While gun fights are nothing new in the world of action-oriented videogames, what drew the attention of everyone who viewed the sequence were the objects on the shelf caught in the crossfire. Boxes would rattle as bullets punctured them. Bottles of liquid would splatter amidst the hail of bullets. Fruit would roll their way out of containers and be smashed once caught in the frenzy. To see all these little physical reactions come alive so casually in a scene of such intense violence was simply breathtaking.

This game, in many ways could be considered the true FOG, since it will be released on PS2 and X-box, it certainly is possibly the most eagerly awaited game of all time.
Tick tock.....Tick tock.....Tick tock......
Wed 04/07/01 at 18:11
Regular
"Forum Tweener"
I actually think that MGS2 will come out on X-box shortly after the PS2 release, even if you go to the MGS2 part of the Konami site, there is an X-box section somewhere if I can remember correctly.
Anyway, thanks Ant, and I'm glad somebody agrees that MGS2 is da FOG baby!
Wed 04/07/01 at 16:23
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Even if MGs2 does come out for the X-Box or Gamecube, who cares? At least everyone will get a chance to play it on their machine to see just how great it is.
Wed 04/07/01 at 16:06
Regular
"I like cheese"
Arrrggghhh!!! MGS2 IS A PS2-ONLY GAME!!

Kojima confirmed that he isn't bringing out an MGS game on X-Box. Not for the moment, anyway.

BTW-excellent post, and I agree, MGS2 is the true FOG.
Tue 03/07/01 at 23:31
Regular
"Forum Tweener"
Or even Rattle Snake, or how about Snake Bite, oh wait! I have it! Snake II!
Tue 03/07/01 at 23:22
Solidus Snake??? Why Not Plasma Snake???
Tue 03/07/01 at 23:10
Regular
"Forum Tweener"
Yesterday I brought you the latest on FFX and now, the second biggest PS2 game on the horizion is pecked to pieces by the Raven!

First of all, what I know of the story from playing the Demo and watching the recent trailers:
As you may recall from the end of the first game(If u didn't actually play the first game,seek medical attention) Revolver Ocelot made it off Shadow Moses Island with the test data from Metal Gear Rex -- well, he sold that on the international black market, and as Otacon puts it in the beginning of the demo, every state, group and dot.com has its own version of Metal Gear. Thus, the arms race continues, with a new amphibious anti-Metal Gear vehicle code-named Ray designed to defeat its weaker ancestors. In response, the "Philanthropy" organization, a group formed by the UN to combat Metal Gear worldwide, sends its best agent to board the Discovery and get the dirt on Ray. That agent, of course, is Solid Snake, backed up by his old associate Otacon.

As Snake soon discovers, though, he's not the only one after Metal Gear. A rogue team from Spetsnaz, the former Soviet Army special forces, including Revolver Ocelot, sends in its commandos to take over the tanker and seize the Ray. It's there that the story fades into uncertainty, although you can bet that Ocelot will try playing both ends against the middle one more time. Several characters have been shown or spoken of without any indication of how they'll fit into the plot, including Fortune, the new Ninja, and Solidus Snake.

One big unanswered question concerning MGS2's story is which of Metal Gear Solid's two endings was the "real" one, i.e. from which one the sequel descends. The creators have not said which, but the evidence strongly points toward the "bad" ending, where Meryl Silverburgh died. Meryl is not mentioned anywhere in the MGS2 trailers or demo, although Mei Ling and Naomi Campbell are, and the Japanese seiyuu (voice actor) who played Meryl in MGS, Kyoko Terase, returns in MGS2 to play the role of Olga.

Next, graphics and stuff:
MGS2's character models are very refined, especially in terms of facial detail -- finally, the characters in a Metal Gear game have eyes (incidentally, those 3D faces now appear in the codec screen, too). They also have far more model detail adorning their bodies. Snake has all kinds of odds and ends attached to his web gear; Revolver Ocelot's gunbelts and duster coat look marvelous; Olga's baggy parachute pants provide an oddly voluminous counterpoint to her slight figure, and she has all sorts of weaponry attached to them or tucked inside.

The game's realtime cinemas (none of the cutscenes shown so far include any pre-rendered footage) provide a remarkable showcase for those characters. They are animated with amazing precision, and their direction shows an unshakably sure hand. The standoff between Snake and Olga, for example, shows excellent pacing amid some very complex bits of animation and camera direction -- it's the equal of any number of classic action films.

Okay, thats all I know for now, but before I leave you, I wanna talk to you about how stunning this game is, for those of you that have seen the trailer, let me direct you to the part where the protagonist, Solid Snake, seems pinned down in an storage area with his back to a shelf stocked with items and engulfed in a fire fight between multiple soldiers. While gun fights are nothing new in the world of action-oriented videogames, what drew the attention of everyone who viewed the sequence were the objects on the shelf caught in the crossfire. Boxes would rattle as bullets punctured them. Bottles of liquid would splatter amidst the hail of bullets. Fruit would roll their way out of containers and be smashed once caught in the frenzy. To see all these little physical reactions come alive so casually in a scene of such intense violence was simply breathtaking.

This game, in many ways could be considered the true FOG, since it will be released on PS2 and X-box, it certainly is possibly the most eagerly awaited game of all time.
Tick tock.....Tick tock.....Tick tock......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.