GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Assassin's Creed II - "From Jersalem to Rome""

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Assassin's Creed 2'.
Sat 14/11/09 at 19:17
Regular
"How Ironic"
Not the most anticipated game of the year, with Modern Warfare 2 taking care of that, but still a game that looks to do very well on the market. Due for release in the next week or so, Ubisoft Montreal seem to have pulled their pants up from the original, judging by what I've researched. This sequel takes place in Italy, rather than the 'Holy Land' (Israel), and also takes place around 300 years later than the original. Presuming the series will be a trilogy, there have been rumours that the third game will be set in World War 2, which personally, i think is brilliant, although this has not been confirmed at all.

Back to the game at hand, seeing as there have been no demos released of the game, and only a video demo shown at E3, I cannot comment first hand of what the game will be like, i can only base what i write on the words of others, and my own speculation. Luckily, there's been quite alot told about the game from the developers. You take the role of another one of Desmond Miles' ancestors, this time called Ezio Auditore da Firenze. You play in the late 15th century, early 16th century, across various locations in Italy, including Venice, Florence, Rome, the Tuscan Countryside, San Gimignano and Forlì.

Spoiler Warning! (Only how the game starts, following on from the last game and the reason you're on a vendetta this time round- does not destroy the ending for anyone)

Show Spoiler

Although the game is extremely similar to it's predecessor, the fact that Ezio has the exact same fashion sense as his 300 year older counter part Altaïr, the game is also completely different on so many levels. Whilst researching articles on the game, and quotes from publishers, the game seemed to me like a concoction of Fable II, Hitman Blood Money, The Prince of Persia, Grand Theft Auto 4 and the original Assassin's Creed. 'Blood Prince Auto II' perhaps... now that's just being silly.

One thing you can get is coloured dye (the element to me which is like 'Fable II'- a tad vague, i admit). I cannot confirm wether this dye will enable you to bypass guards that are on the lookout for you, or wether it's just to look cool. Another feature to make you look cool on top of the dyes, is the variety of new weapons. The game is confirmed to feature halberds, axes, long pikes, swords, daggers, and a number of others. These new weapons of course mean a hell of a lotta new moves to play with, knocking people to the ground with a halberd perhaps, and finished them off with a high, swinging blow. Also cool in the game is that Ezio has not one, but two hidden blades, so you can take out twice the number of people at once, and let twice the amounts of blood flow onto the floor. If you get bored of your weapons, which i highly doubt, another new feature is weapon upgrades, another Fable-esque element. A prime example is the poison blade.

All these weapons are great, but that wasn't the main problem in the first game, the missions were. I'm sure you know what i mean if i describe them as repetitive and boring. Along with interrogation, eavesdropping and pickpocketing come 14-16 new mission types, so i'm ecstatic to hear about that, as that was a really big issue, which has been addressed. I have not found out what these new mission types are, but i'd predict jobs like vandalism and 1-on-1 street chases might come into it, so i'm very excited to see what these new jobs will entail. I do know that there will be 200 missions altogether in the game, 100 being narrative/main storyline, and another 100 being side quests.

Hiding places in the first game were pretty basic. You could hide in hay carts, sit on benches (although i wouldn't say that was hiding or even blending), and of course hiding among your KKK-esque monks (as monks presumbaly would have had brown robes, but no, they just happen to have the assassin fashion down to a T). Well, there are a whole host of advanced hiding techniques now. One of the 'big biggies' is the ability to hide in water, especially in Venice (the GTA element for me, as previous GTA titles would mean you get killed going into water). There are more advanced crowd hiding systems, meaning you don't have to wait for your monk mates to come and help, you can simply blend into the crowd. A nice piece of kit at your disposal is the smoke bomb, which you can set off, and whilst your foes are blinded, you peg it as fast as you can.

There is now a notoriety system in the game, much like Hitman Blood Money, and as you progress, you will be recognised more easily. You can lower this by bribing people, taking down wanted posters (perhaps part of a vandilism mission?) and also assassinating witnesses. This is a good feature, as previously, AI characters would be particularly stupid. For example if you climbed a building, you would just hear people shouting "What is he doing, he will hurt himself" instead of reporting to the guards. On a personal note, i also loved the way that when you killed a citizen with a hidden blade, nobody would realise it was you. If you saw a man go up to someone, embrace them, and then they were suddenly dead, i don't think you'd shout 'What is that mad man doing?' would you?

The game isn't the only thing that has been updated. Remember you're using the Animus 2.0 now, so you can access history and notes about a variety of famous building over Italy, which i like, as it adds a touch of education to the game. Also a new update to the game generally is the before mentioned eagle vision, which now lets you stay in 3rd person, whilst using it, so you can spot targets on the move.

Economy, yet another Fable II related word. There is now an economy system in Assassin's Creed II, using ingame currency to purchase weapons, armour and poison. You can also hire people to distract guards when the time is right.

You will be helped by a number of other figures, the most notable being a young Leonardo da Vinchi. One invention you most probably know available in the game is the famous, and real, Flying Machine he invented, which uses fumes from flames to keep it up. He is the one who will be upgrading your arsenal and helping you throughout the game.

So is this game going to be different to the first? I think it's safe to say yes it is, it will be completely different, as long as all that's promised is kept. I'm apprehensive that this game isn't going to deliver, but i really hope it does. The first game was like a plain sponge cake; it had some ingredients missing. This second attempt sounds like it's had jam and cream put in the middle, it's been covered in chocolate and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands. We'll find out next week.

Thanks for reading :)
Sun 21/08/11 at 13:34
Assassins creed 2 is a very easy game in 3 days have play the game out :S (whit out walktrough)
:D reply please and give your view about the difficulty. gr sergio
Sun 21/08/11 at 13:31
sorry a fault in my first message (burte most be brute)
Sun 21/08/11 at 13:30
I have A tip for you all: as you wanne kill a burte quick let him attack first, 2 of 3 sec later you most attack (result: A good kill)
(attack the brute not equal that have a bad result). and when you fight against three brutes of more use a smoke bomb you can than easly kill the brutes whit a hidden blade. gr sergio
Tue 17/11/09 at 19:14
Regular
"How Ironic"

.....'u'..................

*jumps off cliff*

*deploys parachute*
Tue 17/11/09 at 18:53
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
*giggles* as Anti Chris is yet to notice his spelling mistake.

I'm going to wind you up now, and tell you that I played the game already all weekend and have already completed it :).

Honestly. :)
Tue 17/11/09 at 18:37
Regular
"How Ironic"

*Double EDIT*Moto pointed out the spelling mistake. Can't change it :(

*EDIT* US residents can play this right now :( For the rest of us Europeans, we'll have to wait until Friday. CanNOT wait :D (although mostly, i'll probably just be watching youtube videos-come on christmas time! :D)
Tue 17/11/09 at 12:04
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It's a small place just next to Pedantic Land :D Mwahaha
Tue 17/11/09 at 11:46
"possibly impossible"
Good read there, Chris.

This is looking so much better than the first.

One question though: Where's Jersalem? :D
Sun 15/11/09 at 19:39
Regular
"How Ironic"
Just a reminder, Assassin's Creed II will be released this Friday 20th November on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 for those in the EU.

For any US Freeola users, you'll be able to pick it up on Tuesday 17th November.

PC gamers in both regions will have to wait until March 2010 for it's release.

Make sure you check the bargain thread for the best prices, as i'm sure it will appear on there nearer the time of release!

Grab a Bargain

Happy Gaming!
Sat 14/11/09 at 19:17
Regular
"How Ironic"
Not the most anticipated game of the year, with Modern Warfare 2 taking care of that, but still a game that looks to do very well on the market. Due for release in the next week or so, Ubisoft Montreal seem to have pulled their pants up from the original, judging by what I've researched. This sequel takes place in Italy, rather than the 'Holy Land' (Israel), and also takes place around 300 years later than the original. Presuming the series will be a trilogy, there have been rumours that the third game will be set in World War 2, which personally, i think is brilliant, although this has not been confirmed at all.

Back to the game at hand, seeing as there have been no demos released of the game, and only a video demo shown at E3, I cannot comment first hand of what the game will be like, i can only base what i write on the words of others, and my own speculation. Luckily, there's been quite alot told about the game from the developers. You take the role of another one of Desmond Miles' ancestors, this time called Ezio Auditore da Firenze. You play in the late 15th century, early 16th century, across various locations in Italy, including Venice, Florence, Rome, the Tuscan Countryside, San Gimignano and Forlì.

Spoiler Warning! (Only how the game starts, following on from the last game and the reason you're on a vendetta this time round- does not destroy the ending for anyone)

Show Spoiler

Although the game is extremely similar to it's predecessor, the fact that Ezio has the exact same fashion sense as his 300 year older counter part Altaïr, the game is also completely different on so many levels. Whilst researching articles on the game, and quotes from publishers, the game seemed to me like a concoction of Fable II, Hitman Blood Money, The Prince of Persia, Grand Theft Auto 4 and the original Assassin's Creed. 'Blood Prince Auto II' perhaps... now that's just being silly.

One thing you can get is coloured dye (the element to me which is like 'Fable II'- a tad vague, i admit). I cannot confirm wether this dye will enable you to bypass guards that are on the lookout for you, or wether it's just to look cool. Another feature to make you look cool on top of the dyes, is the variety of new weapons. The game is confirmed to feature halberds, axes, long pikes, swords, daggers, and a number of others. These new weapons of course mean a hell of a lotta new moves to play with, knocking people to the ground with a halberd perhaps, and finished them off with a high, swinging blow. Also cool in the game is that Ezio has not one, but two hidden blades, so you can take out twice the number of people at once, and let twice the amounts of blood flow onto the floor. If you get bored of your weapons, which i highly doubt, another new feature is weapon upgrades, another Fable-esque element. A prime example is the poison blade.

All these weapons are great, but that wasn't the main problem in the first game, the missions were. I'm sure you know what i mean if i describe them as repetitive and boring. Along with interrogation, eavesdropping and pickpocketing come 14-16 new mission types, so i'm ecstatic to hear about that, as that was a really big issue, which has been addressed. I have not found out what these new mission types are, but i'd predict jobs like vandalism and 1-on-1 street chases might come into it, so i'm very excited to see what these new jobs will entail. I do know that there will be 200 missions altogether in the game, 100 being narrative/main storyline, and another 100 being side quests.

Hiding places in the first game were pretty basic. You could hide in hay carts, sit on benches (although i wouldn't say that was hiding or even blending), and of course hiding among your KKK-esque monks (as monks presumbaly would have had brown robes, but no, they just happen to have the assassin fashion down to a T). Well, there are a whole host of advanced hiding techniques now. One of the 'big biggies' is the ability to hide in water, especially in Venice (the GTA element for me, as previous GTA titles would mean you get killed going into water). There are more advanced crowd hiding systems, meaning you don't have to wait for your monk mates to come and help, you can simply blend into the crowd. A nice piece of kit at your disposal is the smoke bomb, which you can set off, and whilst your foes are blinded, you peg it as fast as you can.

There is now a notoriety system in the game, much like Hitman Blood Money, and as you progress, you will be recognised more easily. You can lower this by bribing people, taking down wanted posters (perhaps part of a vandilism mission?) and also assassinating witnesses. This is a good feature, as previously, AI characters would be particularly stupid. For example if you climbed a building, you would just hear people shouting "What is he doing, he will hurt himself" instead of reporting to the guards. On a personal note, i also loved the way that when you killed a citizen with a hidden blade, nobody would realise it was you. If you saw a man go up to someone, embrace them, and then they were suddenly dead, i don't think you'd shout 'What is that mad man doing?' would you?

The game isn't the only thing that has been updated. Remember you're using the Animus 2.0 now, so you can access history and notes about a variety of famous building over Italy, which i like, as it adds a touch of education to the game. Also a new update to the game generally is the before mentioned eagle vision, which now lets you stay in 3rd person, whilst using it, so you can spot targets on the move.

Economy, yet another Fable II related word. There is now an economy system in Assassin's Creed II, using ingame currency to purchase weapons, armour and poison. You can also hire people to distract guards when the time is right.

You will be helped by a number of other figures, the most notable being a young Leonardo da Vinchi. One invention you most probably know available in the game is the famous, and real, Flying Machine he invented, which uses fumes from flames to keep it up. He is the one who will be upgrading your arsenal and helping you throughout the game.

So is this game going to be different to the first? I think it's safe to say yes it is, it will be completely different, as long as all that's promised is kept. I'm apprehensive that this game isn't going to deliver, but i really hope it does. The first game was like a plain sponge cake; it had some ingredients missing. This second attempt sounds like it's had jam and cream put in the middle, it's been covered in chocolate and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands. We'll find out next week.

Thanks for reading :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.