GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/07/01 at 17:36
Regular
"Why do you play games?" Asked my mum yesterday after I’d emerged from my room after a four hour stint on Excitebike. "I’unno" came my offhand reply. "Because I enjoy them, I suppose" I followed up.

This short but sweet conversation got me thinking. Why DO we play games? Is it because, deep down, we want to be that bloke running around with a gun who always gets off with the gorgeous bird? Is it because, just for a little bit, we want to get away from our miserable stinking lives? Just for a bit, we can get away from it all. We can leave it all behind, forget our problems and immerse ourselves in a different world? Maybe it’s because we’ve just got nothing better to do, so we just need something to kill time. Which one of these is it for you? I know which one it is for me.

Let’s be reasonable here, who DOESN’T want to be James Bond. Who DOESN’T want to leg it around Russian bases blasting the hell out of anyone who gets in your way? Remember what you used to play in the playground? You and your gimpy mate going around, pretending to break in to secret bases, and disarming nuclear weapons. Hell, I even know people who still do that! We’ve all done that. Any normal kid SHOULD have done that. It’s only natural to want to be someone else at some point in your life. Who hasn’t watched Michael Owen on the pitch and not thought, "God I wish I could play like that" Maybe we play games so we look up to the main character in it. Maybe we don’t.

Then there’s the "God I hate my life" option. When you encounter a rough patch in your life, you just want it to go away. So what do you do? Go out on the razz and get completely ratted until you’re so drunk you fall asleep in a flowerbed. What’s the result of that? You wake up with a horrible hang over and the problem seems to have got worse. So what else can you do? Whenever I hit a low point I lock myself in my room, slap WWF No Mercy or ISS 2000 in my N64, stick Acquiesce by Oasis (especially if it’s a family problem) on and just play and play and play. I play until my problems gone, until I feel good about myself again. I immerse myself so much in the game that I just forget what’s going on in my life and until I BECOME the person in the game. Until it’s ME who’s kicking the Rocks rear all over the ring, until it’s ME who’s just scored from 30 yards. I’ll emerge from my cocoon feeling better and happier, read to embrace whatever the problem may be.

Then there’s option 3. I’m bored so I’ll go and play my computer until I can think of something better to do.

I barely ever do this. If I do it’s usually only for five minuets. Why? Because playing a game just to pass time leaves me feeling hollow. I just don’t enjoy it when I do this. I can’t explain why I don’t get enjoyment this way but I just don’t.

I believe that these are the three main reasons why we play games, you may very well have other reasons or thoughts. Post them.

So, which of these 3 is it for you? Is it another reason why YOU play?
Mon 02/07/01 at 18:19
Regular
"Back in black"
5 days and you will have completed it.

You have to cheat to cheer yourself up, because it will but you in a worse mood if you can't win!!
Mon 02/07/01 at 16:30
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
When I feel down I go up to my room slap Turok 2 into the slot and enter BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND, all guns, unlimited ammo.....oh yes!

I tend to play my games to get myself feeling better again. Also for some reason I am better at my games when I am not well.

4 hours...is that it, when I have a new game you won't get a word out of me for about 5 days.

(;o|
Mon 02/07/01 at 15:43
Regular
"Back in black"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Ice Blaster wrote:
but 4 hours RBS- that a bit much,
> headache?

No, I was mightily down when I went into my room, so I
> played Excitenike to calm down... then carried on till I got bored
> :-D

Theres another reason to play games- to calm you down, but then if you loose you get mighly stressed out, and especially on hot days....I lost the argument!! heh.
Mon 02/07/01 at 15:37
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Who has a stinking life!?? YOU TALKING BOUT ME!!

:-)
Mon 02/07/01 at 15:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ice Blaster wrote:
but 4 hours RBS- that a bit much, headache?

No, I was mightily down when I went into my room, so I played Excitenike to calm down... then carried on till I got bored :-D
Mon 02/07/01 at 14:54
Regular
"Back in black"
Spider II wrote:
> Not as half as funny when you see the half naked girls running round
> and shoo... Better stop there, this is a family site after
> all..
:D

No no keep going...lol
Mon 02/07/01 at 14:51
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Not as half as funny when you see the half naked girls running round and shoo... Better stop there, this is a family site after all..
Mon 02/07/01 at 14:29
Regular
"Back in black"
Shhoting people in the 'goo-nans' gets you going eh Spider, lol.
Mon 02/07/01 at 13:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
"goo-nans"

??????

Man, that's funny, I've never heard that before.
*chuckles*
Mon 02/07/01 at 12:43
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Good topic RBS, and truely spoken. I'm going yto print that bit about when you lock yourself in your room and show it too my mum.

I don't really know why I play on consoles, it's really like an adrenalin rush, when your score a swish in thev last second of NBA2k, or shoot a terrorist right in the goo-nans on Silent Scope.
But whatever it is, i like it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.