GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone plan on importing the Nintendo DS?????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/07/04 at 23:55
Regular
I rarely import. Thusly I haven't got the likes of Animal Crossing and I wait patiently for the release of GBA software.

In fact I have ordered from America the total of once for the legendary
Pokemon Yellow which graduated into my most favorite Nintendo game.

But with the DS not due till March (which happens to be when I plan to recieve a nice new shiny X-box) I'm extremley tempted to give old Lik Sang or DVD Box office a whirl.

Being a handheld device I don't see the problem. The only negative issue with importing a GBA is that imported GBA's cannot connect to the Gamecube, something the DS doesn't do anyway.

So anyone else thinking of doing it??? Any ideas on what launch software you're after???

Here's to the future

Dringo.
Sat 17/07/04 at 11:24
Regular
It does play GBA games yes.

Console gaming is attractive to children and adults but adults can afford more games and so therefore adults are the biggest market.

Handheld gaming is different, it is not cool or the done thing to walk around playing games. Unless your a nerd or an office guy on a train. And even then they'd rather read books.

The PSP is selling itself as a cool gadget and those gadget lovers and a few PS fans will get it. But it won't sell to adults as well as the PS2 has.

The DS sells to the hardcore just as much as the PSP does, in fact more so, but it also sells to the children for 2 reasons... it's cheap and it's cheerful. Not futuristic and cool which is what the PSP is.

The only thing is will the DS sell to the casual adult gamer? Very few adult casual gamer plays handheld games BUT some do. Will adults go for the cool looking system, or the cool sounding system.

Video's, MP3's and Games sounds cool but it doesn't sound anything revolutionary.... predictable I'd say.

My brother won't get either but is more likely to get a PSP (to just prove me wrong to be honest)... but I could tell he was impressed by the idea of 2 screens, touch screen, in built microphones and wi-fi.

Well done Nintendo, you've created a new attraction with new ideas.
Sat 17/07/04 at 04:14
Regular
"Bicycle"
PSP will lose.

In a similiar fashion to the GC vs. PS2.

You sure the DS plays GBA games? I was thinking of getting an SP...
Sat 17/07/04 at 03:55
Regular
"everyone says it"
People at Capcom and Konami have told me that they don't like the PSP.

That's enough for me.
Fri 16/07/04 at 23:55
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> 1) PSP - expected to retail at 250-350 sans game

It's now looking likely to be 200.

, can play
> films/music but ONLY if you first put them on memory sticks (extra
> expense) or onto UMD - a new format that has the slight problem of
> consumers not being able to write their own yet,

Still, the boast of being able to "play movies and listen to music" will attract.

with launch titles
> that are essentially rehashed PS2 games,

And the DS has loads of rehased N64/Gamecube games.

and no back catalogue. Oh,
> battery life thought to be 3 hours tops (no Lord Of The Rings
> films).

Un-extended ones are 2 and a half hours actually :P

Hate to support the PSP as much as I am now in love with the DS thanks to NGC's DVD, but you can't underestimate it. Sony have beaten Nintendo before and could do so again. I don't expect the PSP to beat the DS to a pulp, but Nintendo could lose a valuable share of their users to Sony.
Fri 16/07/04 at 19:15
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
gamer2005 wrote:
> Obviously the Sony PSP will destroy all competition just like the
> PSone helped make Sega go bust, but goodluck to Nintendo, 'cos they
> will need it...

Not necessarily.

which, if any, would you choose?

1) PSP - expected to retail at 250-350 sans game, can play films/music but ONLY if you first put them on memory sticks (extra expense) or onto UMD - a new format that has the slight problem of consumers not being able to write their own yet, with launch titles that are essentially rehashed PS2 games, and no back catalogue. Oh, battery life thought to be 3 hours tops (no Lord Of The Rings films).

2) DS - massive GBA back catalogue, plus games which use existing franchises but build on them/improve them, and wireless internet. I don't know a great lot about the DS - but these alone suggest it has the upper hand, hell, using GBA titles gives it the upper hand...

What a lot of people are forgetting is that, whilst Sony probably played their part in finishing Sega from the console market, Sega was once what Sony was back in the Megadrive days, and Atari was once what Sega was, Nintendo was once what both Atari and Sega was....dominance of the market is rarely long lasting. I remember when all of us Sega fans expected the Mega CD to blow Nintendo out of the water...how wrong we were!
Fri 16/07/04 at 15:44
Regular
": ("
Rickoss wrote:
> I'm looking forward to TS3 more than Doom and Halo (just read IGN's
> hands-on, sounds superb) but I don't think it can compete with
> Half-Life 2, no matter how improved the 1-player is.

If TS3 has Live and has as many unlockables as TS2 then I think i'll like it as much as Halo.

Doom doesn't attract me in anyway at all...
Fri 16/07/04 at 15:36
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Dringo wrote:
> Okay Okay... I won't import any more than a dozen
Fri 16/07/04 at 15:34
Regular
Okay Okay... I won't.
Fri 16/07/04 at 12:44
Regular
I'm looking forward to TS3 more than Doom and Halo (just read IGN's hands-on, sounds superb) but I don't think it can compete with Half-Life 2, no matter how improved the 1-player is.
Fri 16/07/04 at 12:35
Regular
I honestly think Nintendo don't need good luck at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.