GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft, Windows and the Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/06/01 at 13:04
Regular
The majority of home PCs have a Windows operating system. This is a fact that you simply cannot deny. You might not like it, but it's true.

PC game developers create their games to run in a Windows environment.

Microsoft developed Windows, and therefore the operating system that these games run on.

Now Microsfort are releasing a console, the Xbox.

Many see the Xbox as being the console that will have most pc-like games, and from what I've seen so far, I'd say that looks true. But if this is the case, ten isn't the PC a rival to the Xbox's success?

As Microsoft develop Windows though, aren't they in a pretty healthy position to do something about this?

Microsofts next operating system is going to be a bit of a step away from the 'windows' series, in name at least. Is it quite possible that Microsoft will make this operating system a little to awkward for gamers, so that they give up on PC games and move on to the closest thing, the Xbox? I know that that would be my plan if I was in that position. Make the PC operating system fantastic for all manner of things, but not games. Make games run slowly, and be awkward to install. Any gamer is bound to then look elsewhere.....
Fri 29/06/01 at 17:17
Regular
I don't think that there will be much competition between the X and PC's simply because PC's and consoles have different types of games.

I got my console to play games that i could have a go on for a short while, like Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur etc, and i got my PC to play more in depth games like Project IGI, B&W and the like.

Why should i buy a console, and a mouse and keyboard for it to play a game that i can play on my PC? I think that cnsole developers are treading a dangerous line by expecting people to buy all the add -ons for their console, mouse, harddrives etc, just to play the game.

Let's face it, for FPS you have to use a key board/mouse set up. Why should i buy Q3A for my DC when i can play it much better on my PC. This threat is set to continue, Championship Manager 4 won't be released on PS2 until the HDD is available, is another example.

Soon i think people may get fed up with having to buy extras for their console.
Fri 29/06/01 at 16:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Meka_Dragon wrote:
Many see the Xbox as being the
> console that will have most pc-like games, and from what I've seen
> so far, I'd say that looks true. But if this is the case, ten isn't
> the PC a rival to the Xbox's success?

Nope, think about it. Developers have been using Windows OS for their games for a few years now, they are familiar with it, they know it inside and out probably better than Microsoft do. It's easy to program. And Windows XP won't change any of that. It was basically produced because of demand from business for a more powerful OS, and Microsoft have done so. Although the minimum spec is for a PIII with 64Mb of RAM, a few beta testers of the final Whistler beta 2 version have suggested that 256Mb would be more suitable.

This rules out a lot of home PC's but RAM is very cheap nowadays, so if you are going to fork out for an XP upgrade from your Win98 or Win2000 you may as well fork out another £80 for the extra RAM at the same time, which will make your current games run better to some extent, and give developers more leg room for their future games.

The XBox uses a Windows 2000 kernel, a pared down system that has been streamlined specifically for games. Developers will be familiar with the feel of the OS, it should be exactly like other competing consoles. No boot time, no DOS screens, and so on.

The fact that you can upgrade Win2000 straight to WinXP without hassle (in beta tests at least), should give you an indication that Windows XP Whistler is actually going to enhance PC games in the future, not detract from them.
Fri 29/06/01 at 16:45
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I couldn't play audio files...so I recompiled the kernel with some new drivers - took about 10 minutes, and didn't require a restart. When wil M$ get it right...
Fri 29/06/01 at 16:41
Regular
I thought Microsoft had always had these problems in place for us PC owners but hey, isn't that the fun of it??? I mean, I just went through a healthy system reinstall today, and a problem was solved, I can now play video files again!!! Woohoo.
Fri 29/06/01 at 15:44
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ok, so MicroSoft are relying on WindowsXP then? Hah..

How about a bit more support for some linux games, developers tend to disregard this market even more..spend ages trying to get games working on here, I usually end up giving up and going back to Windows on the other box, which I try to avoid doing...

Until some other operating systems get better support (I'll wait for er-no to do his "macs have loads of games!" bit), then MicroSoft really do control the PC market, and can do whatever they like about gaming on them..
Fri 29/06/01 at 14:02
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Trying to shunt the PC gamers over to the X-box would be a particularly risky feat indeed, especially considering the poor sales of Microsofts last home user OS package.

The simple fact is, people don't really see the need for a better operating system. I'm still using '98, and the only thing I'll get from ME or any of the other contortions, is the inability to play some of my older games.

If the next OS Microsoft release supports games very badly, people simply won't buy it, and then Microsoft are up the creek, without a paddle. Or a boat.
Fri 29/06/01 at 13:44
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
People who have a PC wont bother with the X-Box if their PC is up to spec. The speed that PC hardware is developing, I could see the X-box bieng surapassed by them, and because the X-box games will be PC coded, the developers would write their games to the (larger) PC market once the limitations of the X-box are reached as the PCs will be better than it by then.

I doubt they would stop the PCs from playing games, there is a lot of money being made from the PC gamers, and forcing them all to buy a small bungalow for under their telly to play games that should have been for them will just cement in the annoyance of the PC bods and make them hate the X-box even more.
Fri 29/06/01 at 13:16
I wouldn't say PCs are rivals to the Xbox. the XBox is primarily a games machine and Microsoft will not pit it up against the Personal Computer market, some elements that will be integrated into the XBox could be good - more freedom?

Anyway, when the XBox and GameCube are here they will no longer be the future.
Fri 29/06/01 at 13:04
Regular
"not dead"
The majority of home PCs have a Windows operating system. This is a fact that you simply cannot deny. You might not like it, but it's true.

PC game developers create their games to run in a Windows environment.

Microsoft developed Windows, and therefore the operating system that these games run on.

Now Microsfort are releasing a console, the Xbox.

Many see the Xbox as being the console that will have most pc-like games, and from what I've seen so far, I'd say that looks true. But if this is the case, ten isn't the PC a rival to the Xbox's success?

As Microsoft develop Windows though, aren't they in a pretty healthy position to do something about this?

Microsofts next operating system is going to be a bit of a step away from the 'windows' series, in name at least. Is it quite possible that Microsoft will make this operating system a little to awkward for gamers, so that they give up on PC games and move on to the closest thing, the Xbox? I know that that would be my plan if I was in that position. Make the PC operating system fantastic for all manner of things, but not games. Make games run slowly, and be awkward to install. Any gamer is bound to then look elsewhere.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.