GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Beginning’s and Ending’s of games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/01 at 15:57
Regular
Developers have many tasks to complete when making a game, the biggest being game openings and endings. To me, this is the most important factor that we have in gaming. Many a people complain that we have bad openings in games, but if we really think about it is it just all in our head? I bet I have confused you with that, but let me explain.

When a game starts up, we can have many first impressions of the games. It is up to the developers if we think “cool!” or “and this cost me £40?” A game opening has to make sure that it tells us loads about the game, but at the same time not revealing the story line too much. This sounds complicated just thinking about it, so let’s feel sorry for the people that actually have to complete this task successfully.

To me, a good opening will include the following things: It must, somehow, tell you what the aim of the game is and what the quest is, to have (in a shooting game for instance) the choice of gun’s that you can equip, and last but not least introduce us to some of the games main characters.

With a lot of games, introductions to the game are not one bit important, most probably because people know what to expect with these types of games. When you play a football game or a fighting game the chances are you know what the game is going to be like before you actually play it so the introductions will not be important. See where I am going with this

Some openings give you an insight and show how the game is actually in progress - sports games' start-ups have improved immensely with exciting FIFA, NBA and Extreme Sports beginnings! With most sport games what you see in the opening of the game is often what you are going to get throughout the game, this is not the case with Role-Playing Games for example.

Also the game may be a sequel therefor it simply must remind you of what happened in it’s original game. This is really important because if you were new to the game the last thing you want is to me totally baffled from start to finish wondering what the game is all about. So, another job developers have to consider.

Sometimes however, I feel that game developers make the introductions completely rubbish - just so the game looks better! Anyone who's played Soul Calibur has to agree that the introduction is pretty unspectacular - but then the game is awesome! Even today, a two-year-old fighting game still holds its crown. So don’t judge a book by it’s cover, and don’t judge a game by it’s opening.

With technology getting better and better, we are beginning to see some changes in game openings. Today openings in games are often seen in FMV format. You are watching this mini film often with your jaw dropped to the floor but when you actually get to play the game your thoughts are often “Huh, what happened to all the good graphics?” Yes, FMV does not always represent what the actual in game graphics will be like.

I think that the one game that really had a great opening was Shenmue. We were amazed by the starting intro - the Graphics were AMAZING, the music listen-able and the acting penetration-able - OK so it lasted about 15 minutes - but the most amazing thing? The in-game graphics were the same! How I was delirious that day.

Openings are often very useful for developers because they can give you a briefing of the plot. This is also useful for the person who is playing game because he or she will come to grips with the game much more quickly. All kind of things are shown in openings’ most often we get to meet the characters and get to learn a little about them. The best example of this was in Donkey Kong 64 when you saw every character do a groovy dance and a little rap too.

We will get a strong taste for the game as well. We will quickly discover of the game is violent, friendly, sport game, football game and so on.

That’s pretty much all the producers have to do in an opening but their job isn’t quite complete. They still have to worry about the endings of a game. Although the gamer may have enjoyed playing the game and thought it was fun, if it had a really rubbish ending the game will automatically not be a “game of it’s time” quite simply because it will leave the gamer feeling that all his of her efforts to complete the game were pointless.

So the developers really have to put their thinking caps on, but first of all there is a major thing they have to consider. Do they want a sequel of a game? This question is very, very important and one they need to think carefully. If they want a sequel the developers have a very tough job on their hands. I am sure that most people will think that they should just leave the game in a big twist at the end, but is this wise? I mean, will that make you feel happy that you bought the game? Sometimes, it is best to not have a too much of a dramatic ending if you want the game to have a sequel because you may find that you need a character that has been killed at the end for instance in the sequel. However, this hasn’t been the case with Mario. Often, Mario kills Bowser right at the end of the game and yet he nearly always comes back in the game sequels. This doesn’t really bother me, but for the people of like realistic gaming, it would.

The best way to end the game is feeling as though you want to play it all over again because it was “that” good but the game that does this to me is very rare indeed. Most of the good games I play leave me thinking, “there must be sequel!” because the game was just so good. The ending must leave you wondering if they will be a sequel or not, then the gamer will be so pleased if they hear that they will be a sequel to the game.

So, a good game simply must have a great beginning and a brilliant ending and if it does this, all credit must go to developers for giving us this wonderful opportunity to play such a great game.

Thanks for reading.

-M16-
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:47
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Whatever, you say, you still need reasonably good graphics in an intro at least. For example, the graphics in the intro of Operation: Winback were pretty poor and this sort of ruined the intro. It made it laughable as you saw a guy raising a gun at 0.000000001mph while the other guys do nothing, and just wait there to get shot.

The same was with Hybrid Heaven. The graphics in this were better but in the cut scenes, when characters were walking about, it did look a bit old, as if they were hovering. However, this game still had one of the best storylines I have ever seen in a game and the graphics weren't bad enough to ruin it. I really hope Konami bring out another game similar to this on the GameCube as I loved it....but maybe this time, they won't make me wait as long. Hybrid Heaven - bigger, better, and supreme graphics. Just imagine it.
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:59
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
zeldapro wrote:

and yes I dont like it when you see in magazine
> reviews and on games a dramatic change in the quality of graphics in
> an FMV and actual GAMEPLAY!!

it ws allright when they were doing cg, but now the hardware is up to it it wont be long before its the same. Like the SSX intro using the game engine.

Yeah, its great when you stuff a disc in the machine for the first time and watch the intro movie, and its even more important that the ending is good otherwise playing the game through is an anticlimax, but the gameplay is still the most important thing. whatever you say. if you want great movie visuals, you buy a dvd. if you want a game, you buy a game. the money you hand over is in exchange for a playable experience, and for that you should get one, not pong with 2 hours of cg on the front...

(though pong was great!)
Thu 28/06/01 at 13:01
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
A game must look good when I start it up or I will immediately think it isnt gonna be as good as I thought it would!!

And this applies to nearly everyone!

And the end of the games should leave way for a sequel to jump in! Or must end making you want to buy the next game as well!

and yes I dont like it when you see in magazine reviews and on games a dramatic change in the quality of graphics in an FMV and actual GAMEPLAY!!
Thu 28/06/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
How many levels were on Cannon Fodder for the Amiga? I can't remember how far I got.
Thu 28/06/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Back in black"
The beginning will always set the scene- like Grix said- You wont know what to do in a RPG if there was no beginning cut scene!

A good ending scene would show you if there is to be a sequel or not. If it ends by some one dying but some people are left- you now there has to be a seqqal. If theres a mysterous looking guy at the end- you now there has to be a sequel. If you see an ending of a game- were everyone is dead, the whole army is dead or something and theres no mysetiuous guys, or the hero actually dies- then your no expecting to see another seqeual.

There is always the surprise endings- were something peculaiar is going on- and you have to buy the next game just to find out what it is. It's a very clever method of making people buy the next game. They did it with Banjo Kazooie, they left secrets to be touched in Banjo Tooie. Though once they released Banjo Tooie- they released alot of cheats that gets you into the secrets. An evil nasty plan by Rare.

A good begining and a good ending always helps support a good game
Thu 28/06/01 at 11:32
Regular
"not dead"
The importance of the beginning and ending is related to how story-based the game is.

Lets ignore the openning for just one minute, and skip that and go right into the game itself. Doing this in a sports game would put you at the beginning of the game, doing so in an RPG or an adventure, however, will leave you standing, not knowing where to head.

So lets ignore sports games, and another other 'instant action' games in which you know what you have to do.

The beginning has to make sense. So if translated from Japanese, lets do it so we can read any text properly! An introduction to your character is always nice, all you really need though is a next step.

Shadowrun for the SNES started with you being gunned down, and revived by some spirit in a morgue. You didn't even know your name. It was during the early stages of the game that the background was filled in, and this helped create an atmosphere that was much more convincing.

So the beginning doesn't need to be anything special, as long as you find out what you have to do before you give up!

It's endings that I think need more work.

Apparently Squaresoft have used scriptwriters for some of their more recent games. This worries me, as surely this could lead to a very linear gaming experience, simply following through like a movie. adventure and RPG games need to offer many different paths that your adventure can go on, leading to multiple endings.

Any game that has multiple endings automatically will have replay value. I've played through Chrono Trigger countless times to take on Lavos at different times to see a different ending. Mind you, these were all variations on the same theme, but it was the SNES!

What I'd like is for the endings to be based wholly upon events that happen during the game. If there are many different paths to take, they will all lead to you doing different things within the game, so the end should be different, shouldn't it? Maybe if you stop to help a beggar he will turn out to be a powerfull magician, and he'll revive a lost friend, maybe if you don't do one of the sub-quests, you could get a bleak ending, with another evil rising to take on the world.

Of course the problem with this is that it doesn't leave it open for an easy sequel. Mind you, many console sequels don't continue direct from where its predecessor left off, and start on a completely new quest anyway.

Um, so yes, beginnings should make sence, but needn't be 15 minute movies, there should be a variety of highly impressive and suitable endings that reflect how you completed the quests.
Thu 28/06/01 at 00:42
Cannon Fodder on the Amiga was cool too

Go to your brother,
Kill him with ya gun,
Leave him lying in his uniform,
Dying in the Sun,

WAR, NEVER BEEN SO MUCH FUN !

Ah what a game.
Wed 27/06/01 at 22:49
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Ok, intro's and endings aren't too important when fightin', puzzle games etc are involved, but quite obviously, they're essential when it comes to RPG's, FPS, Survival/horrors...

To simply put it: You want to know what's going on, what's the basis of the game, what you have to do in order to suceed (objectives then), just imagine what it would of been like if Zelda, MGS, etc didn't have an intro!?!?

Pay respect lads to thje all-important intros...
Wed 27/06/01 at 22:34
Regular
M16 wrote:
> Slaveunit wrote:
> Surely the most important part of a game is
> the gameplay?

This has been debated many times before, and the
> fact is there isn’t a right or wrong answer, and I think that all
> issues are spread out evenly and to make a good game you will need a
> bit of everything chucked in. I have just given you my views on game
> openings and endings, I am not trying to say that they are the most
> important thing in gaming, just something developers have to get
> right if they wish to make the game successful.
Gameplay is the most important to make the game fun but inorder to make it stand out above the rest it needs Graphics, good endings, music, inovative ideas etc...!
Wed 27/06/01 at 22:32
Regular
Do i see a shadowman fan in The_Vottanator what a game that was though it had good cut scenes throughout especially with Legion where for the first time Shadowman got scared and with that huge twist!(i've heard the second is crap dissapointing and it isn't coming to Gamecube so doubely dissapointing!). Shadowmanha

My favourite beginning/ending was Conker's it started well as expected and the ending, wow, sure it wasn't a happy ending, but how powerful was Conker's alst words "it's true what they say the grass is always greener and you don't know what you truley have until it's gone... gone... gone", i won't say what happens at the end but those twists were shocking!

Indeed my favourite ending, but then Zelda's Ocarina of Time came very close!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.