GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playing foriegn DVDs on a UK Playstation2."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 18:35
Regular
Has anyone bought or is planning to buy DVD REGION X FOR PS2.

Apparently this kit consisting of a key cartridge which fits into the memory card slot, and a CD containing software (I presume)... will allow you to watch foriegn DVDs on your UK PS2.

For more see Special Reserves info page at:

http://special.reserve.co.uk/listings/ extrainfo.php?co=GG5874&af= banner_regionx

(remove the spaces)

If anyones has tried this gadget Ild like to know how you got on, Thanks.
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:17
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
This is from another site. Apparently, if you have an original jap PS2 with the DVD driver in the mem card you can have all the regions.

This trick requires an original non-analog PlayStation controller and a PlayStation2 console with the launch version DVD utility software and memory card package. Plug the controller into port one. Place a DVD disc in the system and hold Up until the DVD player menu appears. Release Up, and select the play icon.

Great, huh?
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:01
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Your PS2 dosn't need to be chipped for the region X thing.. You can get a chip which does the same as the cartridge. Just depends if you want to risk opening up your machine.
Wed 27/06/01 at 11:38
Really ? I can't see how any company could legally sell it then because whilst it's not illegal to "chip" your PS2 it does invaliadate the warranty and owning/buying backups/copies of games you do not already own IS illegal. The kind of demand for this product would not be high enough to make it worth making in the firstplace, especially as ( according to various internet sites, I have not myself tried this or seen evidence of it ) a PS2 can be chipped to be all regions anyway, plus have the green DVD picture removed via a mod to the inside of the PS2.

I'd have thought the point of this new product was a way to play all region DVDs without invalidating your warranty ?

Still, if you are right then I think it is safe to say a certain DVD cartridge and CD maker has Sony preparing to pounce on them.....seeing as they are advocating chipping PS2's which in turn costs SCEE and other companies billions of dollars.
Wed 27/06/01 at 11:30
Apparently it only works if the PlayStation 2 has already been chipped to play game backups.
Tue 26/06/01 at 19:40
Thanks, I'll look forward to your opinions.
Tue 26/06/01 at 19:29
Well there is no stock available at the moment...but as soon as it shows stock I'll certainly try one, and I found a v good site for a retailer who sells Region 1 DVD at reasonable prices over the net, and its a shop in the UK ! ( play247.com ) Not advertising for them but I've had 5 new american CDS from them in he last 2 months, all at less than the UK price and at least a month before a UK release :)
Tue 26/06/01 at 18:35
Has anyone bought or is planning to buy DVD REGION X FOR PS2.

Apparently this kit consisting of a key cartridge which fits into the memory card slot, and a CD containing software (I presume)... will allow you to watch foriegn DVDs on your UK PS2.

For more see Special Reserves info page at:

http://special.reserve.co.uk/listings/ extrainfo.php?co=GG5874&af= banner_regionx

(remove the spaces)

If anyones has tried this gadget Ild like to know how you got on, Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.