GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming SIMPLICITY"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/06/01 at 21:19
Regular
Gaming for me is far too complicated, with story lines so far fetched that you’d be so tired out thinking what you actually had to do before you could even do it! That’s why simple games, have been, and will always, the greatest – Tetris anyone? Tetris is such a simplistic game we immediately got hooked to the game for many, many years. Why? Because all we had was one objective to do, gain points from creating lines of 2 or above with different shapes, today however in games like Perfect Dark we have multiple things to do in them however shooting people is as simple as creating lines until you increase the difficulty or for a fact in Tetris it is increasing the speed of the game!

When a game does stretch the boundaries of simplicity, it has to be darn good to be understood and succeed. I’m glad we keep seeing the return of Pac Man, Tetris and classic arcade games that were good for nothing else than fun, fast, and furious gaming. They made you think not to the extent that you collapse from over working the brain. So when people look and snarl at the GameCube- cringing at the thought of yet more Mario and Metrioid, I think to myself they’re the ones that will miss out! Mario is just one example of simple gaming that survives because it is brilliant- we all love it and we always will probably!

But sometimes games have to be not so simple if has to have a good lifespan.
Tetris lasted for years but Mario cannot last without a storyline at all, there would be no Bowser if it weren’t for complexity in Computer Games.
The storyline in Mario isn’t so complex at all, you have to collect the different stars, open the doors to new worlds and save the Princess from Bowser. The simplicity of the controls as well was so refreshing for a 3D platforming game. The idea is to mix simple gameplay with complex storylines because it’s what we like that in our games today. The demands for that was so low back then that Duke Nukem 3D was passed on as simply brilliant! Tetris had no storyline but simple gameplay so it was so easy to pick up and play. Pac Man had simple graphics and simple game play, plus different difficulties to lengthen the lifespan.

Today’s games don’t have what it takes to be a as simple as it because they aren’t so easy to pick and play for hours but the complexity of learning to adapt to the demands of the game makes it addictive.
If you’ve played Final Fantasy you will know what I mean.
At the end of the day, new games will always arrive-genre defying titles will come and go, some will be good some will be woeful. At least I will always have simplicity to fall back on.
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:54
Regular
I'm here to chat but i have to win sometimes.
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
So are people here to win games, and not for the chat? thats what it seems.

I'm here because it keeps me in touch with the latest rumours, and get some personal opinions. If I win a game then thats great, and to be honest thats why I came here in the first place.

Also, I can't resist a good argument..... ;-)
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:25
Regular
"not dead"
[UK]Sniper wrote:
> Meka you've won like 15 times already how do you know!

I don't think I've won that many times, but I have been posting since last August, and I put effort into every post. I want people to read what I write, and offer their own opinions. I like to discuss gaming and the like, and I love to express myself in words.

Maybe if I treated everybody that posts here like crap, then attempted a gameaday winning post a couple of times a month, I wouldn't have won since November either.

Judge not lest ye be judged.
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:09
Regular
Meka you've won like 15 times already how do you know!
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:03
It would cause too many problems, imagine the mess if the post "The Game" posted the other day had won and there was a runner up!
Wed 27/06/01 at 11:55
Regular
"smile, it's free"
A runner-up listing would be quite nice, but perhaps allows for even more complaints, particularly if, perchance, the winner was a post and the runner up a review.

Would still be a nice thing to have though.
Wed 27/06/01 at 11:49
Regular
"not dead"
Now that all the toys have been put back in the pram, could you imagine what would happen if everone sulked every time a post they wrote over 3 paragraphs long and it didn't win?

I still think that SR should post a runner-up each day, but no prize should be given to them.

That way we might get an "Almost the bridesmaid, never the bride" type post....
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:24
Regular
I'm going to leave this place for a while i've just relised i got Excitebike today!
Ta Ta and good riddance.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:21
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
It was a tough call between this and TWs topic but I don't think complaining is going to make you more popular with SR.

I really thought both topics were good, they both deserve to get somthing.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:14
Games really have to become more simple, Mario64 is a perfect example of a game thats easy to pick up and play the learning curve was spot on.

PerfectDark on the other hand was hard to get into, even for me a Goldeneye veteran. I was fine once I went to the Institute for Training, however this training should have been recommended when you start the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.