GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"only 4 meg of video ram and no anti-aliasing on the PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/03/00 at 03:01
Regular
Its it true what i hear, I've been informed that the PS2 is not capable of anti-aliasing which is what smooths all those jagged edges, and its only got 4 Meg of Video Ram compared to Dreamcast's 8 Meg of Video Ram, so it can only display half of what the Dreamcast can, what gets me is that the PS2 is more powerfull than the Dreamcast, BUT when it come's to the Video display on screen, the Dreamcast is Double the power of the playstation. So the graphics are going to look a lot better on the dreamcast. I was going to get a Playstation 2, but now I'm just not sure, check out this link to find out more.
http://ign64.ign.com/news/16295.html
Mon 13/03/00 at 03:01
Its it true what i hear, I've been informed that the PS2 is not capable of anti-aliasing which is what smooths all those jagged edges, and its only got 4 Meg of Video Ram compared to Dreamcast's 8 Meg of Video Ram, so it can only display half of what the Dreamcast can, what gets me is that the PS2 is more powerfull than the Dreamcast, BUT when it come's to the Video display on screen, the Dreamcast is Double the power of the playstation. So the graphics are going to look a lot better on the dreamcast. I was going to get a Playstation 2, but now I'm just not sure, check out this link to find out more.
http://ign64.ign.com/news/16295.html
Thu 16/03/00 at 17:35
maff wrote:
: Its it true what i hear, I've been informed that the PS2 is not capable of anti-aliasing which is what smooths all those jagged edges, and its only got 4 Meg of Video Ram compared to Dreamcast's 8 Meg of Video Ram, so it can only display half of what the Dreamcast can, what gets me is that the PS2 is more powerfull than the Dreamcast, BUT when it come's to the Video display on screen, the Dreamcast is Double the power of the playstation. So the graphics are going to look a lot better on the dreamcast. I was going to get a Playstation 2, but now I'm just not sure, check out this link to find out more.
: http://ign64.ign.com/news/16295.html
Fri 07/04/00 at 01:08
Well, anti aliasing may be useful, but not essential. I think it works by adding extra half size virtual pixels around the outer edge, think of it like a staircase, representing a diagonal edge. Put something like a shoebox on it, and look at the profile. The jaggedness is reduced, by the presence of that extra inbetweeny 'pixel'. Also, the ram - ram is memory, never forget that. As long as there is enough, it doesnt cause any slow downs. U can work it out, say, a full screen 800x600 size image, at 32 bit colour (plenty, hi res images look dodgy on TV's). Add up 800x600, that equals 480000 bits of info. Times that by the 32 bit code representing the colour (yes, thats what 32 bit means), 480000 x 32 = 15360000. Divide that by 8, to get a figure in bytes, = 1920000. Divide that by 1000 to get a figure in kilobytes, = 1920. Divide that by 1000 to get a figure in megs, 1.92. That gives the framebuffer, the space used to keep information for the pending frame, or for 2D imaging. The remaining memory space can be used for textures or pending frames, and these can be loaded into it whilst the previously calculated frame is displayed, albeit only for a fraction of a second, and then applied to the mesh of a model and the resulting image prepared for passing into the framebuffer for the next frame. Correct me if I am wrong, I'm not an expert. Simply put, that means that this is 'adequate'. Shouldn't matter, as long as the memory is fast enough to swap around the information to and from main memory and its various input sources.

maff wrote:
: Its it true what i hear, I've been informed that the PS2 is not capable of anti-aliasing which is what smooths all those jagged edges, and its only got 4 Meg of Video Ram compared to Dreamcast's 8 Meg of Video Ram, so it can only display half of what the Dreamcast can, what gets me is that the PS2 is more powerfull than the Dreamcast, BUT when it come's to the Video display on screen, the Dreamcast is Double the power of the playstation. So the graphics are going to look a lot better on the dreamcast. I was going to get a Playstation 2, but now I'm just not sure, check out this link to find out more.
: http://ign64.ign.com/news/16295.html
Wed 07/06/00 at 18:37
Unfortunately, the true programmers do not think that is adequete, the ones that arent now programming on the Dreamcast that is...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.