GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Saving... Good?..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/06/01 at 21:34
Regular
Back in the early days we played adventure game or fighting games or our Snes's Or mega drives for hours on end. DO you still do that at all now? Well is this because we can't be bothered and are just saving it?

I used to play my Snes games non stop hoping to comlete it or have a good time in that day. It was great fun and I think the games were a lot more fun then. But my point is that now with these new gizmos the "memory card" or something a lot of people play for 20 mins a day and dont seem so excited about their games..

Is this true?

T_W
Thu 28/06/01 at 13:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Is Comix Zone any good, Ant?
Thu 28/06/01 at 13:07
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
It took me blinkin ages to get all the SSX trick books. Id have never ever done it without saving.

What about GT2? youd have had to play that for 3 months without turning your machine off!

Dont be daft, people!
Tue 26/06/01 at 16:50
Regular
"I like cheese"
I have spent the last 3 years trying to complete Comix Zone on the Mega Drive.

And I still haven't completed it.

Saving is a GOOD thing-trust me.
Mon 25/06/01 at 10:03
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Saving is a good thing, but the more recent spate of excess saving is the bad thing.

Passwords, tape saving, battery backup - all very useful, but used only when essential to the game

Memory cards - used for the sake of it.

I think the feeling of achievement when I've sucessfully beaten a difficult gane far outweights the annoyance of repeated failure, but some people don't, which is why we have memory cards being used every 30 seconds into the game.

So who doesn't? Who are these evil people that are so easily frustrated, and seem to think that getting past a difficult bit once is enough to prove your greatness? Yes, it's these casual gamers. Introduce the gamer who doesn't have the dedication to get past the same part several times, just to reach the bit after, and the market reacts.

They make saving more common.
Mon 25/06/01 at 09:52
Regular
"not dead"
Of course you could save your game using a password system on many games. Each level would have a password, so you could start again from pretty close to where you left off.

Memory cards simply take this factor away, making it more convenient to save. I remember jotting down many a password so enable me to continue from where I left off. I also remember being extremely annoyed when the password wouldn't work as I'd taken it down wrong, or confused 'z's for '2' and 's' for '5'. I guess this compares to the frustration of corrupted memory cards.

If you really want to see saving ruin a game, use an emulator. I finished Fantasy Zone 2 (one of the finest SMS games ever) at the weekend, the game doesn't have a save feature. but using an emulator you can, so between every level I saved, so that I wouldn't lose any lives etc.

It completey took away the challenge, but I only did it as I wanted to see the end again!
Sun 24/06/01 at 21:18
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Years ago when gaming wasn’t as popular as it is today gamers everywhere were often seen with angry faces. This was due to the fact that they had just spent 3 or more hours cruising through a game but then suddenly they lacked concentration for a second and BANG your dead. This will lead to you going absolutely ape and often resulting in you chucking your controller across the room.
Even the thought of trying to do the game again would put me in a very bad mood. It just seemed so pointless in doing it all again, but you knew you had to do it if you wanted to complete the game. I guess that this made the game more challenging but it sure did do damage to your heart. The fact is if you did complete the game without saving, that is the brilliant feeling in the world. Today, if you want to have a great feeling of satisfaction when completing a game you will have to do it using no cheats. It just isn’t the same is it? But hey, that is life. Technology is a good thing and I guess we just need to look on the good side of it. “Always look on the bright side of technology!”

“If only I could some way save the game so I didn’t have to start over again” is what we all thought. Then the answer to our dreams came true. The Memory Card. People who were into gaming jumped up and down with delight. The memory card was introduced to the PlayStation and Sony wouldn’t believe their luck. Sony’s developers could now explore a little more into their games. Now, they could make a game much more larger because people could now save their progress into a game. Let’s face it people wouldn’t of liked to play a 10 hour game knowing that they could die at any second and having to start all over again. That’s where the real excitement kicks in. The tense feeling off entering a battle against a powerful boss. Knowing that if you loose you will have to start all over again, if you win you complete the game. Everything is at stake here. You will find yourself really giving your all. The amount of emotion that comes out at the end of the battle is incredible, either way! Today if you loose a battle you just take off where you last left off. Although this seems more sensible, it isn’t half as much fun.

The memory card has been very successful and I don’t know anyone who owns a PSX, Dreamcast, N64 or PS2 that doesn’t have a memory card. Some people say that the ability to save your progress has affected gaming today. What would you say though, better or for the worse? I am going to say better, but only if producers approach it in the right way. If developers want their game to be fun and atmospheric the saving option can be vital. Not vital as in if the game is going to be a success or not but just that it may not be as much fun if they don’t get it to a tee.

Recent games like Red Faction for the PS2 allows you to save your progress at any point you wish. This has made the game-play very dull, and I will tell you why. The thought of knowing that you can save the game every minuet if you want to takes the fun away of the game. If you save it say right before a battle you can enter the battle half heartily because even if you die you will be able to have another go right away. Where is the fun and excitement in that I ask you?

But memory cards are not all doom and gloom, infact they have made an impact on the way we play games, and in a very big way. Imagine trying to play and complete Shenmue without a memory card. How bizarre would that be, infact unless you leave your Dreamcast on over night I think it would be impossible.

People say that gaming has lost it’s sparkle. People say that you don’t get scared anymore if you get shot because you have a memory card. Well yes that is partly true but even if you didn’t have a memory card if you got shot you will be dead, no continues or whatever. This is a matter of realism though, I don’t think the memory card plays a big part in this section of the game.

As long as games continue to keep up their brilliance, game saving will not bother me.

Thanks for reading.

-M16-
Sun 24/06/01 at 20:16
YEs...
Sun 24/06/01 at 15:03
Regular
"You've upset me"
Yeah, jd99's will win yesterdays GAD. The Game's post is a copy (but he even said so in the post! So don't go and get at him) jd'll win with his.
Sun 24/06/01 at 14:52
Dan wrote:

"I would never go back to an Amiga. Its loading times make the PSX seem fast.

It is soooooo Sloooooooooooooooooooow."

In reply:

What you never bought a HardDrive for your Amiga, you were living in the dark ages then it made a big difference particularly to games like Monkey Island 2. It was pretty easy to transfer the games to your Hard Drive and then use the assign command from the Shell (Equivalnet to the PCs Dos, but better) to tell the computer to look for the game files where you had placed them.
The Amiga has loads of great games and with a hard drive you could be playing most within ten seconds from turning on the power (My A1200 booted in about 3-4 seconds), much faster than it would take to start playing any PC or Playstation game.
Sun 24/06/01 at 14:34
Regular
This is not true, old us old schoolers remember the likes of Dizzy which you had to sit and play for hours as the C64 couldn't save the games, but the games lasted about 2 hours!!! Games today need to be played for much longer than that, and this is good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.