GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good or Bad?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/06/01 at 17:19
Regular
Ok, I'm sure we all love having a TOP DVD player on our console but from Sony's point of view is this really a good idea? It's not a hard thing to add to a console that uses the DVD format and is a good selling point but just think how many DVD's you've bought over the last 6 months that you wouldn't have if the PS2 didn't play them?

Just today i finally got enough money to buy the complete Rocky 25th aniversary set which cost me £40, If i didn't have a player I'd probably spend this on more games.I love having the DVD player especially in my own room and what a bonus, but is this a good idea for a console??
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:14
Regular
yeh but when the games start to dry up(good games) (3DO always bring out army men games)unfortunately then it will still be a dvd player you cant say that about the Kiddies toy or the american geeks dream
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Whatever!"
By the way I didnt get my PS2 to play DVD's - I bought it for games but how can you ignore making the most out of it!!
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:54
Regular
"Whatever!"
Ive bought over 20 DVD's since getting my PS2 - I may eventually get a stand alone player but for the time being I am happy to play them via my PS2!! As far as Im concerned the quality is excellent!!
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I bought the PS2 for games not a DVD player. I have not bought any DVD's as I tape all the movies off sky. I have 48, tapes all in LP, most tapes are 3 hours, but some are 4.

I think the DVD is a great addition to the PS2 and makes it an even better purchase. The only DVD's I watch are from the games magazines and the F1 2000 review disc with F1 2001. I would like rent DVD's and I have a mate who has lots of DVD's but most of them are region 1. I think when this Region code changer comes out alot of people will get that so they can import all the newest movies in.

PS2's DVD is greast quality, I know it cant be compared to the top end systems but for £300 you are getting a games console and DVD player. With out a PS2 I wouldnt have a DVD player at all, as I wouldnt want to spend my money on one. People will want a better DVD and thats fine but I think most people will be happy with the PS2 for a DVD player.
Fri 22/06/01 at 17:56
Regular
"Back For Good"
Bonus wrote:
> The PS2's DVD player is not a top player, it falls into line with
> budget range models at around £100-199, which isn't bad as it
> is integrated into our games console!!

But it doesn't compare
> with models in the next price bracket, let alone the £1000+
> range, so stop your nonsense!!

wow man chill, It's just my opinon and it is good considering it's an extra but I bet if you compare a Sony triniton wide TV to the cinema screen with loads of speakers they just don't compare if you get my drift.
Fri 22/06/01 at 17:48
Regular
The reason the PS2 can play DVD's is the Emotion Engine contains the MPEG2 decoder so that it can play games and include MPEG2 footage at the same time, it was only really an afterthought. The hardware would have been there whether it supported movies or not!!
Fri 22/06/01 at 17:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It is a good idea as it means you don't have to buy both. DVD's will become the future and VHS will die out. So most houses in the future will have DVD players in them. My only worry with it being built in to the PS2 is that it might burn out the laser unit quicker than it would if it was just a console and i don't want to fork out to get it replaced. Still think it was a great idea from sony. Well done
Fri 22/06/01 at 17:30
Regular
The PS2's DVD player is not a top player, it falls into line with budget range models at around £100-199, which isn't bad as it is integrated into our games console!!

But it doesn't compare with models in the next price bracket, let alone the £1000+ range, so stop your nonsense!!
Fri 22/06/01 at 17:26
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I bought my DVD player 11 months before I got my PS2 on launch day, even though I knew I'd be getting a PS2 it still didn't deter me from going out and spending £300 plus on my system.

The xmas present of "The Matrix" forced me to buy it but I've had no regrets.

I can have the PS2 upstairs in the bedroom and play and watch or go downstairs to the lounge and watch.....ha the best of both worlds!

Still it is a cool idea!
Fri 22/06/01 at 17:19
Regular
"Back For Good"
Ok, I'm sure we all love having a TOP DVD player on our console but from Sony's point of view is this really a good idea? It's not a hard thing to add to a console that uses the DVD format and is a good selling point but just think how many DVD's you've bought over the last 6 months that you wouldn't have if the PS2 didn't play them?

Just today i finally got enough money to buy the complete Rocky 25th aniversary set which cost me £40, If i didn't have a player I'd probably spend this on more games.I love having the DVD player especially in my own room and what a bonus, but is this a good idea for a console??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.