GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Anime] Cowboy Bebop"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/11/09 at 18:45
Regular
"eat toast!"
[COWBOY BEBOP]
"See you later space cowboy"

Avid fans of anime will probably know about Cowboy bebop and I bet they also know where I'm going with this retrospective. But just to clarify to everyone, Cowboy Bebop is considered one of the best made anime series made.

Ever.

To me, the show broke new ground and completely changed my perception of Anime forever. For years I naively believed anime was just like any other children's cartoon except on steroids. Anime was OTT and what available anime seen on children's shows had horrendous dubbing. In short, cheap trash like pokomon, yugioh and Dragon ball Z made me cringe in embarrassment to watch and/or got on my nerves. In my mind anime and manga was strictly tailored to either pubescent boys or perverted adults thanks to the likes of Akira and Urotsukidoji.

Cowboy Bebop was different, the plot was tailored to a more mature and adult audience without resorting to hardcore violence nor sex. Much like the Simpsons, the SCI FI anime won people over by offering serious and compelling stories by successfully blending thriller and noir. Bound together with a good dose of wit, comedy and style. The action is constantly stylish but never over the top, even in places where it could have been OTT. Its' a rare talent to see such a balancing act done so well as many anime action scenes fall flat or just OTT stupid. It also helps that Cowboy bebop has a top notch catchy Jazz and rock soundtrack which you can also buy separately on CD.

But best of all, there was none of the standard big eyed characters and the English dubb wasn't annoying, in fact it was fantastic. For the first time I found an anime that I could actually tolerate to watch and enjoy.

Essentially, Cowboy bebop is set in the future in colonised space with the plot revolving around the misadventures of a group of Bounty hunters (also known as cowboys). Whereas most western or children shows have generally shallow characters, with only an insignificant momentarily glance at their past or what made them who they are today, cowboy bebop had characters that were deep with their mostly tragic past defining who they were and how they acted in life. Frequently the past rears its ugly head and brings some of the best episodes where each person has to confront the problems of their past. It's in these episodes that you see just how much thought has gone into these characters. At the same time it also sets the viewer to one of the best genre defining endings

in an anime, whereas everyone confronts their past and gets some closure, Spike Spiegel (arguably the main character of the show) doesn't, despite having the most opportunities to do so. But when he does it's a fantastic, yet tragic end to the series that you simply have to see.

Cowboy Bebop over the years has nothing but praised heaped onto the series. It's so influential that some people believe that its one of the shows you must see if you want to know what (decent) anime is all about. Others have cited that Cowboy bebop is a rare one-of-a-kind that puts most anime and Hollywood to shame. So much so that Hollywood has taken notice and has decided to make a live movie starring Keanu reeves. Whether they murder it or not remains to be seen, but I can't recommend this show enough, fans and non fans should try to watch this show. In fact, if you're new to anime, Cowboy Bebop should be the one to watch first. Watch this anime now! Watch it before Hollywood butchers it and soils this shows good name.

You can watch it online here:
http://dubhappy.com/anime/cowboy-bebop/

10/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 12/11/09 at 18:45
Regular
"eat toast!"
[COWBOY BEBOP]
"See you later space cowboy"

Avid fans of anime will probably know about Cowboy bebop and I bet they also know where I'm going with this retrospective. But just to clarify to everyone, Cowboy Bebop is considered one of the best made anime series made.

Ever.

To me, the show broke new ground and completely changed my perception of Anime forever. For years I naively believed anime was just like any other children's cartoon except on steroids. Anime was OTT and what available anime seen on children's shows had horrendous dubbing. In short, cheap trash like pokomon, yugioh and Dragon ball Z made me cringe in embarrassment to watch and/or got on my nerves. In my mind anime and manga was strictly tailored to either pubescent boys or perverted adults thanks to the likes of Akira and Urotsukidoji.

Cowboy Bebop was different, the plot was tailored to a more mature and adult audience without resorting to hardcore violence nor sex. Much like the Simpsons, the SCI FI anime won people over by offering serious and compelling stories by successfully blending thriller and noir. Bound together with a good dose of wit, comedy and style. The action is constantly stylish but never over the top, even in places where it could have been OTT. Its' a rare talent to see such a balancing act done so well as many anime action scenes fall flat or just OTT stupid. It also helps that Cowboy bebop has a top notch catchy Jazz and rock soundtrack which you can also buy separately on CD.

But best of all, there was none of the standard big eyed characters and the English dubb wasn't annoying, in fact it was fantastic. For the first time I found an anime that I could actually tolerate to watch and enjoy.

Essentially, Cowboy bebop is set in the future in colonised space with the plot revolving around the misadventures of a group of Bounty hunters (also known as cowboys). Whereas most western or children shows have generally shallow characters, with only an insignificant momentarily glance at their past or what made them who they are today, cowboy bebop had characters that were deep with their mostly tragic past defining who they were and how they acted in life. Frequently the past rears its ugly head and brings some of the best episodes where each person has to confront the problems of their past. It's in these episodes that you see just how much thought has gone into these characters. At the same time it also sets the viewer to one of the best genre defining endings

in an anime, whereas everyone confronts their past and gets some closure, Spike Spiegel (arguably the main character of the show) doesn't, despite having the most opportunities to do so. But when he does it's a fantastic, yet tragic end to the series that you simply have to see.

Cowboy Bebop over the years has nothing but praised heaped onto the series. It's so influential that some people believe that its one of the shows you must see if you want to know what (decent) anime is all about. Others have cited that Cowboy bebop is a rare one-of-a-kind that puts most anime and Hollywood to shame. So much so that Hollywood has taken notice and has decided to make a live movie starring Keanu reeves. Whether they murder it or not remains to be seen, but I can't recommend this show enough, fans and non fans should try to watch this show. In fact, if you're new to anime, Cowboy Bebop should be the one to watch first. Watch this anime now! Watch it before Hollywood butchers it and soils this shows good name.

You can watch it online here:
http://dubhappy.com/anime/cowboy-bebop/

10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.