GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rich Snippets: A New Way To Show Off In Google"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/11/09 at 22:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[B][U]Rich Snippets: A New Way To Show Off In Google[/U][/B]

Its been a long while since I've written an article / guide of any technical nature, so I though that I would try and break my silence with a quick, simple, but hopefully useful post regarding Rich Snippets, or more precisely, Google's continued use of them to enrich their search engine results pages. This article is aimed at people who have an understanding of HTML (HyperText Markup Language).

Poor Snippets!!!

To appreciate what a Rich Snippet might be, you'll first need to recognise a regular Snippet, which commonly refers to the short sample of text that Google and other search engines display under each listing in their search engine results pages (often shortened to the acronym SERPS), as a way to inform the person doing the searching what each web site will offer them, should they choose to click on that particular link. This snippet is usually made up of a small sample of the web site's text, or the description value found within the <meta name="[B]description[/B]"> HTML element of the web page.

Rich Snippets!!!

In comparison, the new Rich Snippets feature is designed to offer searchers more information within this small area, with the goal being to be as informative as possible for the person searching. The term "rich" is generally used on the web to indicate a better user experience than the norm, and was mostly used to describe Flash sites in the past. Google no doubt hopes that a rich snippet will be looked on in the same way.

A Rich Snippet shows what Google calls "structured data", information that Google can determine the meaning off via specific HTML elements and attribute values. Web site owners can define this "structured data" for a number of things, but for this little article, we'll be aiming for sites that offer reviews & ratings, and user profiles with the hope that Google will then display any rating within its search results.

If you take a look at a search for Drooling Dog BBQ, you should see the second listing is for yelp.com, and this result includes a rich snippet showing that out of 20 reviews, this location has scored 4 out of 5 stars. If you click on the link, you'll see this same information within the web page, but having seen it directly in a search results listing could be a big enticement for a user to click through to the web site. Another example is if you search for a fella called Pravir Gupta, looking at the 9th listing will show you the results from the web site linkedin, and a rich snippet which includes his location and job listing, helping the searcher better decide if this is the person they were looking for.

Google: The Search Engine!!!

Perhaps I am repeating what is already known, but Google's Search Engine is built using web crawlers, spiders that creep around the web and try to index everything they come across. This is no easy task, and the Google crawlers are packed with all sorts of algorithms that then try and sort out which web sites containing which content should be listed above other web site content of the same subject. A very complex thing to do, you would agree?

Because of this mammoth procedure, Google promote the use of good mark-up, consisting of clean structures, and correct HTML elements to describe the content that the web page contains, such as proper heading elements (<h1>, <h2>, etc), lists elements (<ol>, <ul>, <li>) and so forth, to enable the crawlers to know as much detail as possible about the content on each web page.

But HTML on its own isn't as descriptive of certain content as it needs to be for Google to really identify what every piece of detail on a page means. To assist the Google crawlers with this job, Google make use of an additional method for web site owners (webmasters & webmistresses) to talk to Google through their HTML. Such methods include the simple microformat, and the more complex RDFa format. We'll stick to the easy method for now.

Microformats!!!

The microformat has been around for a long time, though perhaps isn't well known outside the keen developer circle. They are used to mark up content with more meaning, so that computers can see what a piece of data on a web site may mean quickly, and extract or ignore it, depending on what it is programmed to look for.

In the case of a review web site, the hReview microformat can be used to mark out which content is the rating, and how many reviews the rating is based on, for example, of 20 people giving an average 4 star rating. If a web site is using this microformat, the Googlebots can extract this data with ease, and potentially use it within search results. The same is true if you make use of the hCard microformat to mark up people / profile pages.

While this longer than I expected article (I know I can waffle on a bit) will show an example of the hReview & hCard microformats, as these are the two Google currently make use of, there are many other microformats that can define many other type of web site content, some of which Google may support in the future.

How Microformats Are Used!!!

The reason microformats (no connection to Microsoft) are popular among the development community is because they slot in to current HTML / xHTML web pages without really interfering with the site as a whole. A microformat is inserted mainly as a simple "value" within a class attribute, and as such doesn't cause validation errors, though you may need to add a few extra <div> or <span> elements here and there. The thing to look out for is to ensure that if you use a microformat value, that it doesn't clash with your CSS or JavaScript code. For example, if you add the microformat value "rating" to a class, but also have a CSS property set to apply styles to any class with "rating" as the value, you may find your site design looks a little off. So, when using microformats, take care that any value you use isn't already being used for another purpose.

Showing Your Site's Single Review!!!

Freeola host reviews of games as one of it's main site features, along with cheats, tips and walkthroughs, and each game has a user rating near the top of the page, a perfect page for targeting Google's Rich Snippet feature, using the hReview microformat. If we take for example a single review for the Wii Sports Resort game, we might see the code written on this page as:

<div>
<p>The video game Wii Sports Resort was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
<p>The recently released Wii Sports Resort for the Nintendo Wii has revived my interest in the console...</p>
</div>

Naturally the code would be a lot more complex, but I want to keep the example simple to show how to slot in the mark up to tell Google what is what. The second paragraph should be viewed as being the whole review, which has been shortened for this example.

We would need to start by enclosing the review within the "hreview" setting, so the Googlebot knows where to start. We can do this using the <div> element at the beginning, and adding a class attribute with the required setting / value:

<div [B]class="[I]hreview[/I]"[/B]>
<p>The video game Wii Sports Resort was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
<p>The recently released Wii Sports Resort for the Nintendo Wii has revived my interest in the console...</p>
</div>

Following on from this, we would need to then mark out part of the review as being the "item" being reviewed:

<div class="hreview">
<p>[B]<span class="[I]item[/I]">[/B]The video game Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B] was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
</div>

And within this, we need to mark out the name of the item with the "fn" value, which needs to be enclosed within our previous entry:

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game [B]<span class="[I]fn[/I]">[/B]Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B]</span> was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
</div>

Moving on to the scoring, we need to highlight the review rating, using the "rating" setting:

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> was given a rating of [B]<span class="[I]rating[/I]">[/B]4[B]</span>[/B] out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
</div>

And if we want to, we'll mark out who wrote the review, using the "reviewer" setting, and the date the review was posted with the "dtreviewed" setting

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user [B]<span class="[I]reviewer[/I]">[/B]cjh[B]</span>[/B] ([B]<span class="[I]dtreviewed[/I] ">[/B]2009-08-05[B]</span>[/B]).</p>
</div>

It's also wise to mark out the "description" and "summary" settings. The "description" is another way of saying "the whole review", so you may want to enclose this within a new <div> element. You can then use the first paragraph as the "summary", or create a separate one if you prefer:

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game
<span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span>
was given a rating of <span class="rating">4</span>
out of 5 by user <span class="reviewer">cjh</span>
(<span class="dtreviewed">2009-08-05</span>).
</p>

[B]<div class="[I]description[/I]">[/B]
<p [B]class="[I]summary[/I]"[/B]>The recently released Wii Sports Resort for
the Nintendo Wii has revived my interest in the console...</p>
<p>The game is great!!!</p>
[B]</div>[/B]
</div>

And there you have it, a single review marked up to let Google know what pieces of information represent the review data.

Showing Your Sites Multiple Reviews & Average!!!

Google also support what is known as "aggregated reviews", where more than one person may review the same item, such as on Amazon product pages. While Freeola don't appear to group review on a single page, for this example we'll pretend that they do:

<div>
<p>The video game Wii Sports Resort has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</p>
</div>

The above code would be the "summary" of the review page, and as such, not contain any of the reviews within this segment, unlike the previous example for a single review.

So, first, we need to mark up the first <div> element to highlight that we're marking out an "aggregated review":

<div [B]class="[I]hreview-aggregate[/I]"[/B]>
<p>The video game Wii Sports Resort has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</p>
</div>

Then, we enclose the first part of the review within the class attribute, with the value "item", ensuring you leave the review score and review count outside of this particular <span>:

<div class="hreview-aggregate">
<p>[B]<span class="[I]item[/I]">[/B]The video game Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B] has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</p>
</div>

Next, we need to mark out the name of the item being reviewed, in this case the text "Wii Sports Resort" using the value "fn" within a class attribute:

<p><span class="item">The video game [B]<span class="[I]fn[/I]">[/B]Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B]</span> has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</p>
</div>

We can then mark up the other part of the review within a <span> element that has a class attribute value of "rating":

<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> [B]<span class="[I]rating[/I]">[/B]has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.[B]</span>[/B]</p>
</div>

Moving on to marking up the number of reviews with the "count" value:

<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> <span class="rating">has been reviewed by [B]<span class="[I]count[/I]">[/B]3[B]</span>[/B] Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</span></p>
</div>

And finishing off with the "average" score rating being marked out:

<span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span>
</span>
<span class="rating">has been reviewed by
<span class="count">3</span>
Freeola users, and was given an average rating of
[B]<span class="[I]average[/I]">[/B]4.5[B]</span>[/B]
out of 5.</span>
</p>
</div>

And there it is, the average review rating available to Google's Rich Snippet sniffer.

Tell Google Who is Who!!!

As well as reviews, Google also looks out for profile data, such as a persons location, job, etc, which might be helpful when searching for someone who shares their name with many others. As I've rattled on this far, lets shoot through this quickly, Waterloo Road is on in a moment - yes, I watch it .... and besides, based on what you've hopefully learned so far, you should be able to decipher this yourselves:

<p class="[I]vcard[/I]">
Hi, I'm <span class="[I]fn[/I]">Mr. War Hunt</span>, or simply <span class="[I]nickname[/I]">Warhunt</span> to some, and I work here at <span class="[I]org[/I]">Freeola</span> (<span class="[I]url[/I]"> http://www.freeola.com</span>) as a <span class="[I]title[/I]">Freeola Staffie</span> and <span class="[I]role[/I]">Staff Moderator</span>.

The company is based in <span class="[I]adr[/I]"><span class="[I]locality[/I]">Essex</span>, <span class="[I]country-name[/I]">England</span>
</span>
</p>

So, Give Your Web Site Shining Star!!!

So, there we have it, a further method to entice users to your web sites with Rich Snippets, using easy to use and simply to implement microformats.

If you choose to go down this route, Google provide a Rich Snippet Tool to allow you to see how your rich snippet might look if it is included in the Google index. You can read more via the following web sites:

Google: Introducing Rich Snippets
Google: An Update On Rich Snippets

It should be noted that Google will not show a Rich Snippet in their search results right away, and may unfortunately decide not to show them at all. However, if you mark your reviews and people up using the above microformats, you're in with a greater chance than if you had done nothing.

And, To Freeola ....

... considering you have ratings for your reviews, cheats and walkthrough sections, adding a Rich Snippet to them may be worth consideration??

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

As always, any comments, questions, and especially corrections are welcome.
Thu 12/11/09 at 14:54
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks Sonic, and thanks Freeola - nice way to come back :)
Wed 11/11/09 at 23:32
Regular
"How Ironic"
Haven't got a clue what it's all about (i'm not technically minded) but it sure as hell blows my review out of the water...
Wed 11/11/09 at 22:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[B][U]Rich Snippets: A New Way To Show Off In Google[/U][/B]

Its been a long while since I've written an article / guide of any technical nature, so I though that I would try and break my silence with a quick, simple, but hopefully useful post regarding Rich Snippets, or more precisely, Google's continued use of them to enrich their search engine results pages. This article is aimed at people who have an understanding of HTML (HyperText Markup Language).

Poor Snippets!!!

To appreciate what a Rich Snippet might be, you'll first need to recognise a regular Snippet, which commonly refers to the short sample of text that Google and other search engines display under each listing in their search engine results pages (often shortened to the acronym SERPS), as a way to inform the person doing the searching what each web site will offer them, should they choose to click on that particular link. This snippet is usually made up of a small sample of the web site's text, or the description value found within the <meta name="[B]description[/B]"> HTML element of the web page.

Rich Snippets!!!

In comparison, the new Rich Snippets feature is designed to offer searchers more information within this small area, with the goal being to be as informative as possible for the person searching. The term "rich" is generally used on the web to indicate a better user experience than the norm, and was mostly used to describe Flash sites in the past. Google no doubt hopes that a rich snippet will be looked on in the same way.

A Rich Snippet shows what Google calls "structured data", information that Google can determine the meaning off via specific HTML elements and attribute values. Web site owners can define this "structured data" for a number of things, but for this little article, we'll be aiming for sites that offer reviews & ratings, and user profiles with the hope that Google will then display any rating within its search results.

If you take a look at a search for Drooling Dog BBQ, you should see the second listing is for yelp.com, and this result includes a rich snippet showing that out of 20 reviews, this location has scored 4 out of 5 stars. If you click on the link, you'll see this same information within the web page, but having seen it directly in a search results listing could be a big enticement for a user to click through to the web site. Another example is if you search for a fella called Pravir Gupta, looking at the 9th listing will show you the results from the web site linkedin, and a rich snippet which includes his location and job listing, helping the searcher better decide if this is the person they were looking for.

Google: The Search Engine!!!

Perhaps I am repeating what is already known, but Google's Search Engine is built using web crawlers, spiders that creep around the web and try to index everything they come across. This is no easy task, and the Google crawlers are packed with all sorts of algorithms that then try and sort out which web sites containing which content should be listed above other web site content of the same subject. A very complex thing to do, you would agree?

Because of this mammoth procedure, Google promote the use of good mark-up, consisting of clean structures, and correct HTML elements to describe the content that the web page contains, such as proper heading elements (<h1>, <h2>, etc), lists elements (<ol>, <ul>, <li>) and so forth, to enable the crawlers to know as much detail as possible about the content on each web page.

But HTML on its own isn't as descriptive of certain content as it needs to be for Google to really identify what every piece of detail on a page means. To assist the Google crawlers with this job, Google make use of an additional method for web site owners (webmasters & webmistresses) to talk to Google through their HTML. Such methods include the simple microformat, and the more complex RDFa format. We'll stick to the easy method for now.

Microformats!!!

The microformat has been around for a long time, though perhaps isn't well known outside the keen developer circle. They are used to mark up content with more meaning, so that computers can see what a piece of data on a web site may mean quickly, and extract or ignore it, depending on what it is programmed to look for.

In the case of a review web site, the hReview microformat can be used to mark out which content is the rating, and how many reviews the rating is based on, for example, of 20 people giving an average 4 star rating. If a web site is using this microformat, the Googlebots can extract this data with ease, and potentially use it within search results. The same is true if you make use of the hCard microformat to mark up people / profile pages.

While this longer than I expected article (I know I can waffle on a bit) will show an example of the hReview & hCard microformats, as these are the two Google currently make use of, there are many other microformats that can define many other type of web site content, some of which Google may support in the future.

How Microformats Are Used!!!

The reason microformats (no connection to Microsoft) are popular among the development community is because they slot in to current HTML / xHTML web pages without really interfering with the site as a whole. A microformat is inserted mainly as a simple "value" within a class attribute, and as such doesn't cause validation errors, though you may need to add a few extra <div> or <span> elements here and there. The thing to look out for is to ensure that if you use a microformat value, that it doesn't clash with your CSS or JavaScript code. For example, if you add the microformat value "rating" to a class, but also have a CSS property set to apply styles to any class with "rating" as the value, you may find your site design looks a little off. So, when using microformats, take care that any value you use isn't already being used for another purpose.

Showing Your Site's Single Review!!!

Freeola host reviews of games as one of it's main site features, along with cheats, tips and walkthroughs, and each game has a user rating near the top of the page, a perfect page for targeting Google's Rich Snippet feature, using the hReview microformat. If we take for example a single review for the Wii Sports Resort game, we might see the code written on this page as:

<div>
</div>

Naturally the code would be a lot more complex, but I want to keep the example simple to show how to slot in the mark up to tell Google what is what. The second paragraph should be viewed as being the whole review, which has been shortened for this example.

We would need to start by enclosing the review within the "hreview" setting, so the Googlebot knows where to start. We can do this using the <div> element at the beginning, and adding a class attribute with the required setting / value:

<div [B]class="[I]hreview[/I]"[/B]>
</div>

Following on from this, we would need to then mark out part of the review as being the "item" being reviewed:

<div class="hreview">
<p>[B]<span class="[I]item[/I]">[/B]The video game Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B] was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
</div>

And within this, we need to mark out the name of the item with the "fn" value, which needs to be enclosed within our previous entry:

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game [B]<span class="[I]fn[/I]">[/B]Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B]</span> was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
</div>

Moving on to the scoring, we need to highlight the review rating, using the "rating" setting:

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> was given a rating of [B]<span class="[I]rating[/I]">[/B]4[B]</span>[/B] out of 5 by user cjh (2009-08-05).</p>
</div>

And if we want to, we'll mark out who wrote the review, using the "reviewer" setting, and the date the review was posted with the "dtreviewed" setting

<div class="hreview">
<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> was given a rating of 4 out of 5 by user [B]<span class="[I]reviewer[/I]">[/B]cjh[B]</span>[/B] ([B]<span class="[I]dtreviewed[/I] ">[/B]2009-08-05[B]</span>[/B]).</p>
</div>

It's also wise to mark out the "description" and "summary" settings. The "description" is another way of saying "the whole review", so you may want to enclose this within a new <div> element. You can then use the first paragraph as the "summary", or create a separate one if you prefer:

<div class="hreview">
<span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span>
was given a rating of <span class="rating">4</span>
out of 5 by user <span class="reviewer">cjh</span>
(<span class="dtreviewed">2009-08-05</span>).
</p>

[B]<div class="[I]description[/I]">[/B]
<p [B]class="[I]summary[/I]"[/B]>The recently released Wii Sports Resort for
the Nintendo Wii has revived my interest in the console...</p>
<p>The game is great!!!</p>
[B]</div>[/B]
</div>

And there you have it, a single review marked up to let Google know what pieces of information represent the review data.

Showing Your Sites Multiple Reviews & Average!!!

Google also support what is known as "aggregated reviews", where more than one person may review the same item, such as on Amazon product pages. While Freeola don't appear to group review on a single page, for this example we'll pretend that they do:

<div>
</div>

The above code would be the "summary" of the review page, and as such, not contain any of the reviews within this segment, unlike the previous example for a single review.

So, first, we need to mark up the first <div> element to highlight that we're marking out an "aggregated review":

<div [B]class="[I]hreview-aggregate[/I]"[/B]>
</div>

Then, we enclose the first part of the review within the class attribute, with the value "item", ensuring you leave the review score and review count outside of this particular <span>:

<p>[B]<span class="[I]item[/I]">[/B]The video game Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B] has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</p>
</div>

Next, we need to mark out the name of the item being reviewed, in this case the text "Wii Sports Resort" using the value "fn" within a class attribute:

<p><span class="item">The video game [B]<span class="[I]fn[/I]">[/B]Wii Sports Resort[B]</span>[/B]</span> has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</p>
</div>

We can then mark up the other part of the review within a <span> element that has a class attribute value of "rating":

<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> [B]<span class="[I]rating[/I]">[/B]has been reviewed by 3 Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.[B]</span>[/B]</p>
</div>

Moving on to marking up the number of reviews with the "count" value:

<p><span class="item">The video game <span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span></span> <span class="rating">has been reviewed by [B]<span class="[I]count[/I]">[/B]3[B]</span>[/B] Freeola users, and was given an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.</span></p>
</div>

And finishing off with the "average" score rating being marked out:

<span class="fn">Wii Sports Resort</span>
</span>
<span class="rating">has been reviewed by
<span class="count">3</span>
Freeola users, and was given an average rating of
[B]<span class="[I]average[/I]">[/B]4.5[B]</span>[/B]
out of 5.</span>
</p>
</div>

And there it is, the average review rating available to Google's Rich Snippet sniffer.

Tell Google Who is Who!!!

As well as reviews, Google also looks out for profile data, such as a persons location, job, etc, which might be helpful when searching for someone who shares their name with many others. As I've rattled on this far, lets shoot through this quickly, Waterloo Road is on in a moment - yes, I watch it .... and besides, based on what you've hopefully learned so far, you should be able to decipher this yourselves:

<p class="[I]vcard[/I]">
Hi, I'm <span class="[I]fn[/I]">Mr. War Hunt</span>, or simply <span class="[I]nickname[/I]">Warhunt</span> to some, and I work here at <span class="[I]org[/I]">Freeola</span> (<span class="[I]url[/I]"> http://www.freeola.com</span>) as a <span class="[I]title[/I]">Freeola Staffie</span> and <span class="[I]role[/I]">Staff Moderator</span>.

The company is based in <span class="[I]adr[/I]"><span class="[I]locality[/I]">Essex</span>, <span class="[I]country-name[/I]">England</span>
</span>
</p>

So, Give Your Web Site Shining Star!!!

So, there we have it, a further method to entice users to your web sites with Rich Snippets, using easy to use and simply to implement microformats.

If you choose to go down this route, Google provide a Rich Snippet Tool to allow you to see how your rich snippet might look if it is included in the Google index. You can read more via the following web sites:

Google: Introducing Rich Snippets
Google: An Update On Rich Snippets

It should be noted that Google will not show a Rich Snippet in their search results right away, and may unfortunately decide not to show them at all. However, if you mark your reviews and people up using the above microformats, you're in with a greater chance than if you had done nothing.

And, To Freeola ....

... considering you have ratings for your reviews, cheats and walkthrough sections, adding a Rich Snippet to them may be worth consideration??

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

As always, any comments, questions, and especially corrections are welcome.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.