GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GCSE Coursework help: Answer my question please!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/06/01 at 09:16
Regular
Hi everyone, can you spare a short few minutes posting your responses for the following question? I's GCSE coursework, so it counts! For Humanities I am putting together a Personal Research Study about violence in computer games, and how they should / should not be regulated in the U.K. Here's the question:

1. "Should violence in video games (in the UK) be regulated?"

2. "Are games too violent?"

3. "Why do you think games are more popular with males than females?"

I thank you for your time.
Sun 24/06/01 at 10:05
Regular
NO
NO
and because girls have got bad hand -eye co ordination so they have to look at the controller to see what they are doing
Sat 23/06/01 at 21:28
Regular
"Whatever!"
-Nah!!

-No worse than you see on TV or on Video!!

-Havent got a clue??
Sat 23/06/01 at 21:02
I can't thank you enough for those comments. Especially you Devo for that long insight!
Fri 22/06/01 at 16:54
1. Yes. It should be at least brought in line with film classification. OK, it's easy for me to say that, as I'm more than a little bit over 18, and it wouldn't effect me anyway. But on the whole, the level of interaction with a game is far more than a film. I'm as sick as the next puppy, and laugh at particularly skillful headshots in Unreal Tournament. But could FPS's in particular desensitise kids to violence, particularly as graphics and AI improve? Could war based games fuel that nutso gene (Particularly prevalent in American teens for some reason. You want guns? You got 'em!) that makes some teenagers change into Johnny Rambo? The thing is, most kids can handle the distinction between games and reality, and there's no problem. When I was a kid, we would watch particularly vile horror films, and I've never felt the urge to order a set of steak knives from QVC. But there does have to be a border line. The film classification system has been stable for quite some time, so something similar for games seems logical. That doesn't automatically mean that teenagers end up with Rugrats in Paris. I seem to remember that Starship Troopers had a low age rating, presumably as the gore was cartoon like and so OTT as not to be a problem. Upcoming games like Silent Hill 2 look like they'll unnerve us adults, would you really want a younger kid playing it?

2. You could be really pedantic and say they aren't violent at all. Any physical harm is purely virtual. The representation of violence is interesting. If it's done in a realistic way, and if the player has a conscience, it does make you think twice. A good case in point is Deus Ex. You can pretty much kill anyone you want. I found that I didn't bat an eyelid at wasting the 'bad guys'. It was my mission and they were preventing me from completing it. For a laugh I decided to kill some innocent bystanders. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that I felt uncomfortable afterwards. I had talked to these people previously, and then sent them into a hand waving panic as I hunted them down with an unnecessarily large gun. A conscience and a certain degree of realism should create guilt after this kind of behaviour.

Then at the other end of the spectrum you have cartoon violence. In Die Hard Trilogy you can mow down pedestrians with no pangs of guilt whatsoever. In fact I remember the first time I sat down to play it with friends, we were in fits of laughter. Needlessly violent, but obviously not real. But will that be the case in 5 years time with photo realistic graphics? Heads shattering the windscreen, and the various bangs in Dolby 5.1 as the body bounces over the car?

3. In general blokes are more prone to techie related obsessive behaviour than women. Whether it's the latest digital camcorder, car, or whatever. Most women are too sane to have spent £300 on a PS2 at launch ;-).
Thu 21/06/01 at 18:42
1. As the graphics and realism of the games advances then yes...back in the early 90's I'd say no but with photorealistic games quickly becoming a reality then they need to be regulated like the movie industry is. The current ELSPA scheme isn't worth the paper it's printed on as it is only a guide to parents, not legal like video age certificates.

2. No worse than any films you could buy off the shelf. The games industry just lacks any strength and credibility with the media so makes an easy target for the media. I.e The Columbine shootings were blamed on games, which is rubbish in my opinion. If it were true that games like Quake, GTA and Tomb Raider were to blame then you'd see far more incidents....

3. Well I think there's more girls getting into games now than there used to be. Okay so companies still target marketing at lads but a lot of games now are sold purely on the strength of how good they look and what is on the box..which sounds daft I know ! I didn't believe it when I was told it when I started work but it's true and happens everyday. Also think the fact that not just games shops now stock games has helped..... I used to love all the computer shops but now I just want to buy the game and go home, not engage in some stupid technical PC talk whihc I don't really care about really.

Don't know if any of this is any help ?
Thu 21/06/01 at 13:18
Regular
"Back For Good"
1)NO WAY

2)NO, except for Thrill Kill haha thats way over the top.

3)Honestly don't know
Thu 21/06/01 at 13:08
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
1. No, not until graphics become photo realistic, at the moment you can still distinguish between reality and graphics but soon it'll be hard and then I think that will be the time to bring in censorship!

2. No!

3. Probably down to the way we're brought up, girls play with dolls, boys go out and play in the dirt, climb trees, play footie etc.

On the subject of being PC, who cares, there is a time and a place to be PC and on a forum like this with this kind of subject I don't think it really matters, if girls wanna have their say then I for one as all for it, but as this seems to be a male (majority of) dominated forum so I don't think you'll get a proper representation of views.

I hope you'll be going out into the great big wide world and asking peoples opinions from the streets!

Good luck with course work!
Thu 21/06/01 at 10:57
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
1. No
2. No
3. We appreciate them more, the man's mind is gearing to speed and excitement more than women's which has a large area for shopping and talking. Oh damn i am being un-PC again, d'oh.

Oh and won't you get biaest results from asking a group of people, mostly men, who love computer games and hate the idea that violent games are bad?
Thu 21/06/01 at 10:54
1. "Should
> violence in video games (in the UK) be regulated?"
Yes because it can be very bad
> "Are games too violent?"
Some definately
3. "Why do you think
> games are more popular with males than females?"
Women are made differently to men so women dont like the same things to men. but recently there are a lot more women gamers.
Thu 21/06/01 at 10:46
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
1.no
2.no
3.Because they are totally different. Its like football more guys like it than girls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.