GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VCD's (the truth)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 22:46
Regular
VCD's is the name for video on CD but alot has been going around about can they be played on the PS2 and the answer is kinda.

You see all DVD players will play pre recorded VCD's because it's built in to the DVD format but the "pirate" VCD's that people burn themselves won't work on a PS2 or DVD player unless it says VCD compatible and the PS2 is NOT.

So you can run prerecorded VCD's on your PS2 although the quality is the same as VHS and publishers can't fit that much video on them.

Although DVD's have so many features and the quality is outstanding it's still nice to know that they work.

thought this may interest some of you.
Tue 26/06/01 at 01:54
Regular
"Back For Good"
cheers, never mind.
I think when we get the hard drive we'll have some downloadable software to play them. no big issue though.
Mon 25/06/01 at 20:52
Tried my original VCD's in the mighty PS2, but.........................no can do. it can't recognise the format. Don't worry though folks. your not missing much!
Sun 24/06/01 at 10:30
Regular
thanxs for telling me
Fri 22/06/01 at 12:45
sorry i haven't tried my copies yet. i'll try them this weekend and let you know. I'm sure i've tried them on launch day but to no sucess
Thu 21/06/01 at 09:43
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Resevilfan wrote:
> yeah please do, cus I'd like to know for sure.

Hi REfan, how ya doing?

Right tested the two VCD's that my mate had lent me last night, they were "Me Myself & Irene" & "Gone in 60 Seconds", both of which I think are pirate copies but neither of the four disks worked.

Kept getting a reddish PS2 browser screen up saying please insert a Playstation or Playstion 2 disk!

As for legal copies then I leave it to other people because I haven't got any so obviously can't comment.

I didn't bother to try these on my DVD because I'm getting them on DVD soon.
Wed 20/06/01 at 20:46
Regular
"Back For Good"
yeah please do, cus I'd like to know for sure.
Wed 20/06/01 at 16:07
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
thesox wrote:
> i'm pretty sure it can't play them, but i'll try tonight >and let you know

I've got a couple that my mate has lent me, I think I'll give them a try tonight as well, results tomorrow and hopefully a definitive answer!!
Wed 20/06/01 at 15:49
i'm pretty sure it can't play them, but i'll try tonight and let you know
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Back For Good"
Oh, I haven't got any to try but a PS2 magazine said this, shows how much they know doesn't it.
Wed 20/06/01 at 10:16
The PS2 cannot play any VCD. I've got quite a few which i've collected over the last couple of years. Some original pre-recorded vcd's and some of the "other" ones. I've tried both in my PS2 but with no luck. The quality isn't great in any case but you can get films on vcd which haven't appeared in our cinemas

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.