GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2: Preview of whats to come."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 21:58
Regular
The PS2 has had a rocky start hasn't it. I mean, all that hype over Sony's new console, and then when it's released, the launch line up doesn't turn out to be as good as it could have been. I have seen a lot of posts with people complaining about how bad the launch line up was, and how there aren't any must have games out for the PS2 at the moment. Part of this is true, the launch line up was abit disappointing, with only one or two brilliant titles available from launch. At the moment, those must-have titles are starting to make appearances. So lets take a look at what is to come for the PS2.

First of all, the online prospect of the PS2. Well, the announcement that the PS2 will be online by the end of the year (in the US anyway), was made at the recent E3 show. It was said that Sony have gone into partnership with some major companies, which are: Cisco, who, as far as I know, will be developing the PS2 optimised Internet protocol (IP) software for the broadband/digital content; AOL, who will be developing the Netscape Navigator for e-mailing and things like that; RealNetworks and Macromedia will be developing the audio and visual parts. These four companies will certainly help Sony to acheive they're online dream.
But what about the connection? There will be an analogue/ethernet network adaptor made available for a price of about $40, which will enable the PS2 to connect to a standard 56K modem. Then there is the Hard Drive, which will be available at around about the same time.
Is this good? Well, of course it is. We will finally be able to play our games online. I can't wait. But, there is one problem. People will start to complain that the PS2 is becoming more like a PC. But, to counter attack this, the main reason for the internet is online games. So, that squashes those complaints.

Ok, what about the most important part, the games? Well, there are several brilliant games heading the PS2's way, some of which, will certainly help to shift some PS2's, that's for sure. Let's take a look at some of those all important titles.

GT3: Well, what can I say that hasn't been said before. Stunning visuals, the most realistic handling ever, cars to die for and gameplay to match. As I said, what can I say now that hasn't been said already. All I can add is that this will be one of those titles that will shift those PS2 units.

FinalFantasy10: This is going to be a cracker, that's for sure. There is loads of hype over this game, with magazines saying, and I quote "This is the best looking game ever". I won't go into any details, but I will say that this could be the game that will get me interested in the Final Fantasy series.

Tony Hawks 3: This is one game I am looking forward to playing, having seen the game in action, and being mighty impressed with what I saw. New moves, characters, levels and stunning visuals and gameplay to match. Well, if this can improve on the previous Tony Hawks, then it'll be a winner.

WWF Smackdown 3: This could be another game that will shift those PS2's. With tonnes of new matches, loadsa moves and lovely visuals, this will be a brilliant games that I will certainly be buying.

Have I missed anything, oh yes, Metal Gear Solid 2, how could I forget. Well, as I said for GT3, is there anything that I can say about this game, that hasn't been said before. So, I will just leave it there.

There are tonnes of brilliant games heading this way for the PS2, which I will not go into as there are far too many, but the future is certainly looking bright for PS2.
All I can say is that the Gamecube and Xbox will have a fight on their hands, and a tough one at that!

Thanks for reading
Super Gohan
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:05
Regular
yeh that was well good
Sat 23/06/01 at 12:54
Regular
"WWJD"
MGS2 will defently be a best sellar everyone will get it ive played on the Demo it is cool well better than MGS1
Sat 23/06/01 at 12:40
Regular
er GTA3
state of emergency MGS2 and the sonic game which is coming out be no word on it yet should be a best seller
Thu 21/06/01 at 17:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Silent Hill is a great game one with alot of atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is going to be one of the best games to come out this year. I remember when I got Silent Hill it was an American import as soon as I had my PS1 chipped. Everyone was still seeing previews in magazines and I was playing the game.
Thu 21/06/01 at 14:01
Regular
"Back For Good"
yeah, i got silent hill shortly after i got my PS2, i thought oh man the graphics were dreadfull so i rebooted put texture mapping on and had another go. The game is brilliant specially down that dark alley with the wheelchair and blood everywhere.

The quick opening doors and that "returning to the bad place" kinda horror with all weird monsters and everything this games rules. The weapons are great too and that baby ghost gives me the creeps and i think you need the pneumatic drill to kill it, (shivers) man what a game!!
Thu 21/06/01 at 13:26
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I remember getting Resident Evil 1 and then sleeping over at my mates. We played the game solid from about 6pm till 3am then woke up at 7am to play on it again. The annoying thing is we completed within the space of the night and morning.
Thu 21/06/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Does anyone remember the original Nightmare Creatures that appeared very early on the Playstation? Sorry I just got reminded of that by your talk of Resident Evil. It was a quite weird game and very dark and if any game took credit for the progression to Silent hill it has to be this. The sequel not as good though.
Thu 21/06/01 at 13:18
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Super Gohan wrote:

I played Code Veronica in complete darkness (apart from the TV of course), and scared the bejesus out of me.

LOL, I remember playing the first Resident Evil, sat with all the lights out with me mate by my side and both of us jumping out of skins......brings back some good memories!
Wed 20/06/01 at 23:24
To be honest, I think Resident Evil games and most other survival horrors were made to be played in the dark. It makes them more, how can I put it, atmospheric and eerie.
I played Code Veronica in complete darkness (apart from the TV of course), and scared the bejesus out of me.

And I must also apologise for not including Devil May Cry in my original post, but if I included every games, then it would be spammed for being way too long, and possibly even deleted. And besides, I didn't really want to go into that much detail.
Wed 20/06/01 at 21:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Bonus wrote:
> i don't think someone would release a finished game where you can't
> see anything!!!

When I watched it I needed my curtains closed and even though the Tv is not facing the window its 90 degrees to the window I couldnt see anything. I get the sun shinning through my window in the evening but this was mid morning with the sun at the other side of the house. The DC version is also very dark as I couldnt see that too well when I had that on the release day. I like dark games but the preview seemed alot darker than the DC version. I know you can turn the brightness up in these circumstances. Playing at night with the lights off will be the best time to play Code Veronica.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.