GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MY CHRISTMAS RAMBLE =-D"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/12/06 at 19:34
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
The thought of been out in town so close to Christmas is a nightmare. I need to go to town however much I don’t want to but Internet shopping in the run up to Christmas at the minute seems the best way to go about things. However running out of time for deliveries with it been so close to Christmas. Not only that I get to stay warm in the comfort of my, house that’s not my home. I don’t have to walk about out in the cold, actually that should be waddle about in the cold. My belly seems bigger then ever right now and I would rather not carry it about town. So all my Christmas gifts were bought online. The rest will have to be done in town. Would have done a huge Christmas food shop online but seen as I won’t be home much for Christmas it seemed pointless. So I do a small shop and get in festive things to take where ill be spending Christmas this year. Next door, mums etc… See how it all goes.
One of the good things about shopping online is no shop ques, no mothers meetings in the middle of doorways or shop isles. No one walking as if there walking behind a hearse. No getting cold, don’t even have to dodge the sales guys in the shopping centre that always try get you to sign up to something. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me? What annoys you when you’re out and about in a mad rush?
The only thing I miss though is all the festive things about town, and the late night shopping etc. The Christmas songs playing in the shops and all the decorations up in the town centre.
However judging by the Christmas tree this year near are central bus stations. Well that’s just pathetic. It was on our local news the other day and it really was embarrassing. It looked anorexic and had about 3 different bits of tinsel on and some lights. The councils idea of doing it up was to add more lights. However, I’m sure some extra branches would have been nice. Maybe a new tree? Any embarrassing Christmas tree’s decorations, moments in your town?
In addition, this year there is an Ice rink, its small but you have to give the town something. Looks no bigger then a postage stamp. When they were first putting up the rink the ice wouldn’t even freeze over it was like slush. Couldn’t even get that right.
What is it with this obsession at Christmas, whose house is best decorated, To be honest who actually cares. Why do people feel the need to impress? Some houses are just done up way over the top. Some of the houses round here have more lights then Blackpool, and some I guess will have more then Las Vegas. Is it all getting in the Christmas spirit or is it more keeping up with the Jones’s That’s all well and good till some scrooge comes round and trashes it. Each to their own though eh?
It’s the same with gifts and buying people things. Why go out of your way and get in debt just so you feel you have bought the better gift for someone. I live within my means. I set myself a budget at Christmas. However, a certain family member of mine feels the need to just spend what she doesn’t have. Well I’m the one that sleeps at night and doesn’t have money problems. Just don’t understand why she does it. Why she have to do everything better. Why does she think she is better then anyone else. What do you all do around this time of year, over spend, set a limit etc...? Ok I go buy everyone gifts but I don’t spend a fortune. To me I just like people around me, having fun been with the ones I love means more to me then anything. I like seeing others happy and enjoying themselves.
For me personally Christmas is not as fun for me as it use to be. Its different when you’re a kid, you receive gifts, all the excitement that Santa is coming, that you left him a mince pie and a carrot for Rudolph. Opening your advent calendar each day. Waking up on Christmas morning knowing that its going to be a long day, full of fun, playing with toys and stuffing your face with sweets and Christmas dinner. For me now it’s a case of usually doing all the work my parents use to do to make the day special for us. Now having to make that extra special effort to do this for my kids. Seeing there faces and seeing them have fun full of smiles is great. They’re young at the minute so I guess that’s fine until they want everything out the Argos book, or forever saying, “I want I want”. How does Christmas make you feel? If you’re older with children of your own, how does Christmas make you feel now. Is it less fun?

Christmas is just one of many big events that happen each year.

If you could have your own special event once a year. What would you call it, what would it be about. What would be involved etc…
Tue 19/12/06 at 10:27
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Ive done most of mine online. All i have to do now is just nip to a shop to get a lil extra wrapping paper and some birthday wrap too. Birthday cards etc...
Tue 19/12/06 at 10:24
"possibly impossible"
Credit card came through the other day.

Uh-oh.

Hopefully any money I get for Christmas will go towards paying it off though next month.

My shopping was a mix of high street and internet. Though our town is quite small and not so bad around Christmas. I don't really want to go to Exeter (or nearest city), but we have a couple of 20% off vouchers for Early Learning Centre, so I may have to pop in. Plus Toymaster is doing 50% off all Tomy and Zappf (the Baby Born toys) toys...
Tue 19/12/06 at 10:17
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Well i managed to stay within my budget. Al the xmas stuff purchased came to just under £300. Im just glad that it didnt dip in to my £400 deposit for the house.

PHEW!
Mon 18/12/06 at 14:32
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Smedlos wrote:
> Smedlosfest / Drinking beer / Beer

Ooooh SmedFest, how very fitting for you! Though im guessing that happens quite often :)
Mon 18/12/06 at 13:56
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Seraphim wrote:

> One of the good things about shopping online is no shop ques, no
> mothers meetings in the middle of doorways or shop isles. No one
> walking as if there walking behind a hearse. No getting cold,
> don’t even have to dodge the sales guys in the shopping centre
> that always try get you to sign up to something. Does this
> bother anyone else or is it just me? What annoys you when you’re
> out and about in a mad rush?

When I was in York this weekend it bugged me the amount of people trying to get you to donate to charity / sign up for something / give you leaflets they were everywhere.

My absolute pet hate is when you're walking behind someone and they suddenly stop to look in a window or something and you run into the back of them.

> The only thing I miss though is all the festive things about
> town, and the late night shopping etc. The Christmas songs
> playing in the shops and all the decorations up in the town
> centre.
> However judging by the Christmas tree this year near are central
> bus stations. Well that’s just pathetic. It was on our local news
> the other day and it really was embarrassing. It looked anorexic
> and had about 3 different bits of tinsel on and some lights. The
> councils idea of doing it up was to add more lights. However, I’m
> sure some extra branches would have been nice. Maybe a new tree?
> Any embarrassing Christmas tree’s decorations, moments in
> your town?

It always seems to be quite good in my town with a big tree and decorations and a snow machine for the turn on of the lights. There's also lots of Christmas Songs playing so you do get a real good Christmasey feel when you're out and about :)

> In addition, this year there is an Ice rink, its small but you
> have to give the town something. Looks no bigger then a postage
> stamp. When they were first putting up the rink the ice
> wouldn’t even freeze over it was like slush. Couldn’t even get
> that right.

The one in York was good right next to the castle with both of them all lit up at night it looked absolutely amazing!

> What is it with this obsession at Christmas, whose house is best
> decorated, To be honest who actually cares. Why do people > feel the need to impress?

Dunno really we just put up what we want and don't try and outdo the neighbours, think it's an ego trip.

> It’s the same with gifts and buying people things. Why go out of
> your way and get in debt just so you feel you have bought the
> better gift for someone. I live within my means. I set myself a
> budget at Christmas. However, a certain family member of mine
> feels the need to just spend what she doesn’t have. Well I’m the
> one that sleeps at night and doesn’t have money problems. Just
> don’t understand why she does it. Why she have to do everything
> better. Why does she think she is better then anyone else.
> What do you all do around this time of year, over spend, set
> a limit etc...?

We don't go overboard and usually get a few smaller presents rather than a big main one but we don't overspend and stick to a few hundred quid for each other and probably about £50 for close family members.

> For me personally Christmas is not as fun for me as it use to
> be. Its different when you’re a kid, you receive gifts, all the
> excitement that Santa is coming, that you left him a mince pie
> and a carrot for Rudolph. Opening your advent calendar each day.
> Waking up on Christmas morning knowing that its going to be a
> long day, full of fun, playing with toys and stuffing your face
> with sweets and Christmas dinner. For me now it’s a case of
> usually doing all the work my parents use to do to make the day
> special for us. Now having to make that extra special effort to
> do this for my kids. Seeing there faces and seeing them have fun
> full of smiles is great. They’re young at the minute so I guess
> that’s fine until they want everything out the Argos book, or
> forever saying, “I want I want”. How does Christmas make you
> feel? If you’re older with children of your own, how does
> Christmas make you feel now. Is it less fun?

It's not as special now as it was as a kid but I still look forward to Christmas and have a lot of fun. It's probably used as more of an excuse to pop in and see family these days.

> If you could have your own special event once a year. What
> would you call it, what would it be about. What would be
> involved etc…
>

Smedlosfest / Drinking beer / Beer
Mon 18/12/06 at 01:31
Regular
"Monochromatic"
What annoys you when you’re out and about in a mad rush?

People treading on my feet, cutting across me or just generally being crowded in.

> In addition, this year there is an Ice rink, its small but you
> have to give the town something. Looks no bigger then a postage
> stamp. When they were first putting up the rink the ice
> wouldn’t even freeze over it was like slush. Couldn’t even get
> that right.

There is a lovely outdoor one in Windsor. I'll be going sometime this week, followed swiftly by a trip to the emergency ward when i break every bone in my body.

> Why do people feel the need to impress?

Why do men buy Ferraris? Because they're making up for something and feel insecure ;)
You got to take your victories where you can. Some people it's a fancy car, some it's having prize winning vegetables and some like making their house visible from space.
PS, i dont feel the need to have a fancy car, prize winning vegetables or a well decorated home ;)

> What do you all do around this time of year, over spend, set
> a limit etc...?

I get what i can afford and thats it. Occassionally i go nuts on something but i've not done that for a couple of years.

> For me personally Christmas is not as fun for me as it use to
> be. Its different when you’re a kid, you receive gifts, all the
> excitement that Santa is coming, that you left him a mince pie
> and a carrot for Rudolph. Opening your advent calendar each day.
> Waking up on Christmas morning knowing that its going to be a
> long day, full of fun, playing with toys and stuffing your face
> with sweets and Christmas dinner. For me now it’s a case of
> usually doing all the work my parents use to do to make the day
> special for us. Now having to make that extra special effort to
> do this for my kids. Seeing there faces and seeing them have fun
> full of smiles is great. They’re young at the minute so I guess
> that’s fine until they want everything out the Argos book, or
> forever saying, “I want I want”. How does Christmas make you
> feel? If you’re older with children of your own, how does
> Christmas make you feel now. Is it less fun?

It's definitely been less fun in the last couple of years due to deaths and family arguments, which i find completely unacceptable.
I'll reclaim christmas as fun for myself when i've a little more control over who's around me.
It's barely felt like christmas at all this year. I'm wondering how to fix it. I think i'll start by putting up the tree and doing something stupid.

> If you could have your own special event once a year. What
> would you call it, what would it be about. What would be
> involved etc…
>

I do, it's called my birthday. Nothing happens though.
Mon 18/12/06 at 00:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Next time Christmas makes you go mental... use paragraph spacing.
Sun 17/12/06 at 19:34
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
The thought of been out in town so close to Christmas is a nightmare. I need to go to town however much I don’t want to but Internet shopping in the run up to Christmas at the minute seems the best way to go about things. However running out of time for deliveries with it been so close to Christmas. Not only that I get to stay warm in the comfort of my, house that’s not my home. I don’t have to walk about out in the cold, actually that should be waddle about in the cold. My belly seems bigger then ever right now and I would rather not carry it about town. So all my Christmas gifts were bought online. The rest will have to be done in town. Would have done a huge Christmas food shop online but seen as I won’t be home much for Christmas it seemed pointless. So I do a small shop and get in festive things to take where ill be spending Christmas this year. Next door, mums etc… See how it all goes.
One of the good things about shopping online is no shop ques, no mothers meetings in the middle of doorways or shop isles. No one walking as if there walking behind a hearse. No getting cold, don’t even have to dodge the sales guys in the shopping centre that always try get you to sign up to something. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me? What annoys you when you’re out and about in a mad rush?
The only thing I miss though is all the festive things about town, and the late night shopping etc. The Christmas songs playing in the shops and all the decorations up in the town centre.
However judging by the Christmas tree this year near are central bus stations. Well that’s just pathetic. It was on our local news the other day and it really was embarrassing. It looked anorexic and had about 3 different bits of tinsel on and some lights. The councils idea of doing it up was to add more lights. However, I’m sure some extra branches would have been nice. Maybe a new tree? Any embarrassing Christmas tree’s decorations, moments in your town?
In addition, this year there is an Ice rink, its small but you have to give the town something. Looks no bigger then a postage stamp. When they were first putting up the rink the ice wouldn’t even freeze over it was like slush. Couldn’t even get that right.
What is it with this obsession at Christmas, whose house is best decorated, To be honest who actually cares. Why do people feel the need to impress? Some houses are just done up way over the top. Some of the houses round here have more lights then Blackpool, and some I guess will have more then Las Vegas. Is it all getting in the Christmas spirit or is it more keeping up with the Jones’s That’s all well and good till some scrooge comes round and trashes it. Each to their own though eh?
It’s the same with gifts and buying people things. Why go out of your way and get in debt just so you feel you have bought the better gift for someone. I live within my means. I set myself a budget at Christmas. However, a certain family member of mine feels the need to just spend what she doesn’t have. Well I’m the one that sleeps at night and doesn’t have money problems. Just don’t understand why she does it. Why she have to do everything better. Why does she think she is better then anyone else. What do you all do around this time of year, over spend, set a limit etc...? Ok I go buy everyone gifts but I don’t spend a fortune. To me I just like people around me, having fun been with the ones I love means more to me then anything. I like seeing others happy and enjoying themselves.
For me personally Christmas is not as fun for me as it use to be. Its different when you’re a kid, you receive gifts, all the excitement that Santa is coming, that you left him a mince pie and a carrot for Rudolph. Opening your advent calendar each day. Waking up on Christmas morning knowing that its going to be a long day, full of fun, playing with toys and stuffing your face with sweets and Christmas dinner. For me now it’s a case of usually doing all the work my parents use to do to make the day special for us. Now having to make that extra special effort to do this for my kids. Seeing there faces and seeing them have fun full of smiles is great. They’re young at the minute so I guess that’s fine until they want everything out the Argos book, or forever saying, “I want I want”. How does Christmas make you feel? If you’re older with children of your own, how does Christmas make you feel now. Is it less fun?

Christmas is just one of many big events that happen each year.

If you could have your own special event once a year. What would you call it, what would it be about. What would be involved etc…

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.