GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where are the must have titles?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/06/01 at 09:05
Regular
The lack of really amazing PS2 titles is beginning to worry me. I mean sure, Crazy Taxi and SSX are good games but where are the great games, the memorable games, the games that sell the console on their own backs? GT3 may be one of these great games that inspires sales of the PS2 console when it arrives but what about the rest.

Where are all the updates of succesful Playstation games e.g. MGS2 Wipeout Fusion, Final Fantasy 10. I have a sneaky suspicion that these games are being saved for when the other consoles arrive late this year/early next year in some kind of "We have the best games, buy our console stunt".

What I am getting at is the apparent lack of 'must have' PS2 titles available now or throughout the Summer period. I could have undoubtably lived without my PS2 games, Timesplitters, SSX and Crazy Taxi, but when GT and FFVII arrived on the Playstation I simply had to get a Playstation to play these games on pain of death. We don't have any of these bar GT3 arriving anytime soon.

Maybe I am being unreasonable or impatient but I want these sort of games now and I will have to wait for them until October time at the earliest. The only reason that GT3 is due to come out anytime soon (hopefully) is that it started off life as a shameless cash in on GT2. It was due to be released as a launch title as a more aesthetically pleasing GT2.

I want my games now not later.
Sun 17/06/01 at 09:05
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
The lack of really amazing PS2 titles is beginning to worry me. I mean sure, Crazy Taxi and SSX are good games but where are the great games, the memorable games, the games that sell the console on their own backs? GT3 may be one of these great games that inspires sales of the PS2 console when it arrives but what about the rest.

Where are all the updates of succesful Playstation games e.g. MGS2 Wipeout Fusion, Final Fantasy 10. I have a sneaky suspicion that these games are being saved for when the other consoles arrive late this year/early next year in some kind of "We have the best games, buy our console stunt".

What I am getting at is the apparent lack of 'must have' PS2 titles available now or throughout the Summer period. I could have undoubtably lived without my PS2 games, Timesplitters, SSX and Crazy Taxi, but when GT and FFVII arrived on the Playstation I simply had to get a Playstation to play these games on pain of death. We don't have any of these bar GT3 arriving anytime soon.

Maybe I am being unreasonable or impatient but I want these sort of games now and I will have to wait for them until October time at the earliest. The only reason that GT3 is due to come out anytime soon (hopefully) is that it started off life as a shameless cash in on GT2. It was due to be released as a launch title as a more aesthetically pleasing GT2.

I want my games now not later.
Sun 17/06/01 at 10:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Games take time to develope. Most people want these games now but the companies dont want to release half finished games. When I first had my PS2 on launch I saw on the PSW DVD Wipeout Fusion. It had tons of pop up e.t.c and didnt look like a PS2 game. But now I've seen some latest footage and it looks stunning, no pop up and its running very fast.

It takes time to get use with the programming of the PS2 and trying to get all the graphical effects working well.

I do have to agree with you that there arent too many must have games. But these must have games may be your type of game but not everybodys. One of my friends didnt really play driving games but he got hooked on GT1. Another one hates the GT series but for me it is a must have game.

There are some good games out on the PS2 and 3 titles I would consider a must have will be released in the next 5 weeks. These games are Onimusha, Redfaction and GT3.

There are tons of great games being released later on in the year when the PS2 really does need some great games.
Sun 17/06/01 at 10:27
As you have stated jd99, the must have titles are on there way.
Within less than a year there'll be more must have titles than you can shake a stick at and plenty more on the way!!!

It sounds like you are letting your impatience get the better of you.

If you have grown weary of your PS2 titles then take them down to your local gaming shop and swap them for some new ones! It can't hurt to take a look at some of the other games that are available.

Get hold of Extermination or ZOE or Starwars: Starfighter or something, while you wait a week for Red Faction and then a couple more weeks for Onimusha and GT3!!!
Sun 17/06/01 at 10:35
Regular
Fur Fighters and MTV2 are very good too! Give `em a try!
Sun 17/06/01 at 10:48
Regular
"Back For Good"
yo SSXpro, welcome back man you haven't missed much, this forum's getting a bit boring.Anyway it's my birthday today so I've got a bit of doe, Got any suggestions for games?
Mon 18/06/01 at 12:18
Like ssxpro says, give Fur Fighters a go. You'll be surprised. I picked it up at the weekend, and it's great fun. The developers have obviously thought out the gameplay, and what PSW said about the controls being awkward is rubbish. It took me about 3 minutes to get the hang of them, and I'm no game god! :-)
Mon 18/06/01 at 12:22
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm personally looking forward to GT3 and WWF Smackdown 3.
Mon 18/06/01 at 13:33
jd99 wrote:

I want my games now
> not later.

You want your games now and not later. OK then, so just think of it like this. MGS2 has jus plopped through your letterbox (courtesy of Special Reserve, of course), and you put the game in the PS2. You are stunned by the game. The visuals, the gameplay, everything just brilliant. You play it for about 2 hours, and then the games to an abrubt halt. Damn, the game wasn't finished. And then you think, I should have waited for the full product.

As Adrain said, games take time to develop. They can't release a game that is only half finished.

The main reason games get delayed, is because they want to make sure the game is as good as it can be. This is exactly what has happened with GT3. It got delayed because they wanted to add in some more of the latest cars. It also gives them time to make sure that the handling is top notch, the visuals are as good as they can be and so on. The delays are actually a good thing, not a bad thing.

Sure, if I could have MGS2 and GT3 now, then I would, but then I wouldn't be getting the full, best game, just a game that may have been rushed to get out on time. I don't want that, and I am pretty sure that there are several people out there who also don't want that.

As for the current situation, there are severalmust have games for the PS2. SSX is one, as you have already said, but then again, the must have titles for every person are different. Some may think that Army Men titles are must have titles (as unlikely as that is), it all depends on the person. When the magazines point out a must have title, that is just they're opinion. Every gamer has they're own opinion.
Mon 18/06/01 at 14:13
Absolutey right. As an example, I got my PlayStation 2 on Saturday, with one game - John Madden Football. Why, you ask? I am the biggest american football fan I know! And, for me, it is easily the best game on the PS 2. But that's just MY opinion - I would class it as an essential purchase. The graphics and sound absolutely blew me away when I turned it on, and I am still stunned two days later! I have just returned from the shop with a copy of Quake III, so my vast PlayStation 2 library now contains.....TWO games.

Happy? You bet your a**e I am!!!!!!
Mon 18/06/01 at 17:08
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I wanted MGS2, GT3 on launch day but am happy to wait because I know that when these games come out they are going to be fantastic.

I was going to get Project Eden when it was due to come out (25th May I think) and after wandering into EB and not seeing it there came back to work and found that the release date had slipped to Sept/Oct.....doh! Wasn't very happy but again I can understand why it's been put back because the developers are again trying to make it better.

Surely this is better for all of us and I for one don't mind because I'd rather have a great game than a crappy rushed out version.....people should be more patient!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.