GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Easy money"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/06/01 at 02:28
Regular
Don't know if anyone read but the parents of the children that were killed at the columbine school shootings are suing Sony, sega, nintendo, AOL, makers of doom and Quake. Instead of blamming the parents of the two killers or trying to work out why thay did it they attack the big guns and it would seem are trying to make money of them. I know thay have lost their children and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but thay claim that the games and sites on the web played a key role in making them carry out such an evil task. Now if this was the case then the millions of people who play these games and the millions who surf pages like the ones visited by the 2 killers would also get the same message. Then that would make nearly everyone I know (everyone has played a game or used the web even my gran) want to go around killing people, mmm but we don't coz we know its wrong. I think its unfair for all these companies, thay make games to please us and give us excitment and fun. Now they have a £3.5 billion court case for just doing their job. If they do win then it looks like they will get alot of money. money that would be used to make better games/consoles/technology. Seems little strange that they blame the rich companies instead of the parents/school/ the 2 killers mentality.
Has anyone else heard about this? What do you think?
Sun 17/06/01 at 02:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Don't know if anyone read but the parents of the children that were killed at the columbine school shootings are suing Sony, sega, nintendo, AOL, makers of doom and Quake. Instead of blamming the parents of the two killers or trying to work out why thay did it they attack the big guns and it would seem are trying to make money of them. I know thay have lost their children and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but thay claim that the games and sites on the web played a key role in making them carry out such an evil task. Now if this was the case then the millions of people who play these games and the millions who surf pages like the ones visited by the 2 killers would also get the same message. Then that would make nearly everyone I know (everyone has played a game or used the web even my gran) want to go around killing people, mmm but we don't coz we know its wrong. I think its unfair for all these companies, thay make games to please us and give us excitment and fun. Now they have a £3.5 billion court case for just doing their job. If they do win then it looks like they will get alot of money. money that would be used to make better games/consoles/technology. Seems little strange that they blame the rich companies instead of the parents/school/ the 2 killers mentality.
Has anyone else heard about this? What do you think?
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:26
Regular
This happens a lot, especially in America.

It is worrying for the games industry. However if they blame this sort of thing on videogames, then what will they blame it on next? Football cos of it's competetiveness?

If the children aren't brought up properly by their parents then it's likely they'll become violent. It is in human nature to be violent so unless children are punished for doing wrong, it's likely they'll go with their primal instincts and hurt others.

However you can't blame the parents in all cases. Mentality of the person can be to blame. If that is so then that person should be put into a special care facility so that that persons mentality can be evaluated.

Sometimes it's not either of those. You hear stories on the news of young teenagers who follow Nazism. You very rarely hear of it happening in Germany itself, but mostly in America. Infact I have seen pictures on the news in the last few years of the murderers rooms and they have the swastica on a red flag, pictures of hitler and websites on Nazism stored in their internet favourites files on their computers.

There are a large number of things that can make people murder someone else. However videogames and TV usually get the blame when the young commit offenses.

If they are to blame, then surely it's part of their parents fault. Some parents don't bring up their children properly because they just sit around watching TV all day or are out to work, thus not giving their children any attention. The children who play videogames then want to find a way of getting some attention. They make the mistake of hurting someone and they get the whole worlds attention! However not for the right reasons.

Videogames are not to blame for crime. Unless you're talking about high prices causing pirates to mae loads of money selling copied cheap games. If anything, videogames are more likely to help lower violent crime! Videogames are an easy way of taking out our stress on someone without actually hurting anyone. That someone could be a videogame character in Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Or even one of the monsteers in Doom! You control your primal instincts which tell you to hunt and kill by using them on a computer screen. That way no one gets hurt!

I seriously doubt that videogames are to blame for violent crime, and the media just like to blame it on any old thing til there's evidence. So don't listen to anyone when they say that videogames cause violence! Infact one family member told me that I shouldn't go on computers because that's how the world wars started! There weren't even arcades then!
Sun 17/06/01 at 12:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, for a start, they won't win, but:

Everyone always asks, why does a child do this, and what moulds the putty that is the child into a certain shape?

Well, my philosophy is this. You are everyone you've ever met and everything that's ever happened to you. Children aren't born evil. I'm sure Hitler was a darling little child, but something happened to him or someone said something to him that made him too evil.

There are two people in the world that the biggest impression on you, and these are your Mum and your Dad. They raise you and imprint their views into your shape. They are the hands that sahpe the putty and mould it into a general shape. Then there are others which take that putty and chip away at it, add bits and take some away. The putty gets harder as it grows old, bt it's never too late to reform it.

Another factor that shapes the child is school. If they have a happy school life, are popular and generally get on well with their peers they will grow up as upstanding members of the community. However, if they are bullied and picked on, not only by the kids but especially the teachers they could turn into those boys at the shooting.

Whatever happens, I doubt that a few computer games could have a sufficient impact on the children to make them shoot up their school. Even if it did, the parents should have realised that they are impressionable children and disallowed the playing of "evil" and "mind warping" videogames. The fact is, every child in the world can tell the difference between a game and real life. If they can't, then that's the parents' fault.

In short, the parents shape the youths of today and it is up to them to guide them towards right. They should be sueing eachother.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.