GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FlatOut 2 (PC)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FlatOut 2'.
Sun 17/12/06 at 10:37
Regular
"Captain to you."
Now I am not one for racing games but for FlatOut 2 I had to make the exception and purchase it, after playing the demo through many times I knew I wanted more, more cars, more tracks and most importantly more destruction.

Playing through the game you have the option of Derby and Race these two modes are very different when playing even if they do span some of the same tracks.

Derby gives you control of what I can only describe as rust covered shabby cars, when you start you half expect that the first wall you glance will have two thirds of your body work laying on the road, but surprisingly these cars are quite sturdy as although Derby is a race there are extra bonuses for crashing the opponents cars, slamming another car in to a pillar at 120mph is nice when you see their front crumple but in FlatOut 2 it’s not just nice it’s beautiful as the driver will come out through the windscreen and flail in a comical way due to impact with the floor or another object.

Race on the other hand presents an impressive array of fast cars all smooth and shiny, the goal being just be the fastest around the track but of course accidents will happen and soon your lovely hotrod might be missing a wing or two, maybe a bonnet and probably all it’s windows.

As I said before I am not a race fan, often I find them to be too easy or they allow people to just use walls to steer at high speed like most Need For Speed games, in FlatOut 2 if you come in contact with any corners you are in for trouble as the other cars will either slam you in to them causing a lot of damage or you will just lose a lot of speed.

The physics in FlatOut 2 are fantastic and the developers seem to love showing them off by having a lot of debris on the race course, from boxes to huge gas containers that when land on the front of your car crush it (the gas containers obviously not the boxes).

Graphically this is probably one of the nicest games to look at, the cars have a great amount of detail and with them taking damage it is nice to see that impacts have a real effect on the look of your vehicle, the race tracks are pretty big too and there is a good use of some high resolution textures that personally I think out shines anything in the Need For Speed series.

Each track has it’s own set of shortcuts some are obvious and marked on the mini map and others you will find as you race, but my advise is if you see a shop window go through it. Firstly it will most likely be the fastest route and also for every piece of debris you hit you get Nitro for that added boost.

The surface you are driving on effects the steering and control you have over a car, obviously you get far more response out of the cars when on road as opposed to when you are on grass so sometimes you might want to avoid some shortcuts if they are going to lead you on a surface that you don’t like around a corner as that shortcut might be quicker but if you slam in to a wall you’ll most likely lose a lot of time.

Aside from the two main modes FlatOut 2 is filled with mini games. Destruction Derby where you and seven other cars must crash in to each other to try to get the other cars to explode but the damage isn’t 1:1 ratio it’s who ever is going faster takes less damage or if you like who ever is going slower takes a hell of a lot more. This can be pretty fun for a while but it’s not really a mini game you would play all the time with just computer players.

The other set of mini games are what the FlatOut series is known for is Stunt these are just plain fun. You are given a Rocket propelled car and a ramp for most, and they range from Darts, where you have to reach a certain speed and angle and launch your driver through his front windscreen up some 100 feet in to the air to hit a huge dart board, to Water Skipping where you have to make your driver skip like a stone along the top of a swimming pool as many times as you can like a stone on a lake. There are quite a few of these mini games and all are pretty comical when your driver stops moving but they can be difficult at times.

If you get this game and really want to get the most out of it, go online and play against other gamers, it I much more satisfying getting a rival over a tournament where you tend to try to take him out while also attempting to win the race, online mode will also mean that shortcuts will be used a fair bit more and so racing skill will come in to it and it makes for many hours of fun.

Even if you are not a racing fan at least try the demo of this, it runs on a fairly low spec machine and still looks great.
Sat 29/01/11 at 17:59
"The Videogame King"
I have this game for the PlayStation 2. It is without a doubt my favorite game that i have yet.
Sun 17/12/06 at 10:37
Regular
"Captain to you."
Now I am not one for racing games but for FlatOut 2 I had to make the exception and purchase it, after playing the demo through many times I knew I wanted more, more cars, more tracks and most importantly more destruction.

Playing through the game you have the option of Derby and Race these two modes are very different when playing even if they do span some of the same tracks.

Derby gives you control of what I can only describe as rust covered shabby cars, when you start you half expect that the first wall you glance will have two thirds of your body work laying on the road, but surprisingly these cars are quite sturdy as although Derby is a race there are extra bonuses for crashing the opponents cars, slamming another car in to a pillar at 120mph is nice when you see their front crumple but in FlatOut 2 it’s not just nice it’s beautiful as the driver will come out through the windscreen and flail in a comical way due to impact with the floor or another object.

Race on the other hand presents an impressive array of fast cars all smooth and shiny, the goal being just be the fastest around the track but of course accidents will happen and soon your lovely hotrod might be missing a wing or two, maybe a bonnet and probably all it’s windows.

As I said before I am not a race fan, often I find them to be too easy or they allow people to just use walls to steer at high speed like most Need For Speed games, in FlatOut 2 if you come in contact with any corners you are in for trouble as the other cars will either slam you in to them causing a lot of damage or you will just lose a lot of speed.

The physics in FlatOut 2 are fantastic and the developers seem to love showing them off by having a lot of debris on the race course, from boxes to huge gas containers that when land on the front of your car crush it (the gas containers obviously not the boxes).

Graphically this is probably one of the nicest games to look at, the cars have a great amount of detail and with them taking damage it is nice to see that impacts have a real effect on the look of your vehicle, the race tracks are pretty big too and there is a good use of some high resolution textures that personally I think out shines anything in the Need For Speed series.

Each track has it’s own set of shortcuts some are obvious and marked on the mini map and others you will find as you race, but my advise is if you see a shop window go through it. Firstly it will most likely be the fastest route and also for every piece of debris you hit you get Nitro for that added boost.

The surface you are driving on effects the steering and control you have over a car, obviously you get far more response out of the cars when on road as opposed to when you are on grass so sometimes you might want to avoid some shortcuts if they are going to lead you on a surface that you don’t like around a corner as that shortcut might be quicker but if you slam in to a wall you’ll most likely lose a lot of time.

Aside from the two main modes FlatOut 2 is filled with mini games. Destruction Derby where you and seven other cars must crash in to each other to try to get the other cars to explode but the damage isn’t 1:1 ratio it’s who ever is going faster takes less damage or if you like who ever is going slower takes a hell of a lot more. This can be pretty fun for a while but it’s not really a mini game you would play all the time with just computer players.

The other set of mini games are what the FlatOut series is known for is Stunt these are just plain fun. You are given a Rocket propelled car and a ramp for most, and they range from Darts, where you have to reach a certain speed and angle and launch your driver through his front windscreen up some 100 feet in to the air to hit a huge dart board, to Water Skipping where you have to make your driver skip like a stone along the top of a swimming pool as many times as you can like a stone on a lake. There are quite a few of these mini games and all are pretty comical when your driver stops moving but they can be difficult at times.

If you get this game and really want to get the most out of it, go online and play against other gamers, it I much more satisfying getting a rival over a tournament where you tend to try to take him out while also attempting to win the race, online mode will also mean that shortcuts will be used a fair bit more and so racing skill will come in to it and it makes for many hours of fun.

Even if you are not a racing fan at least try the demo of this, it runs on a fairly low spec machine and still looks great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.