GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/01 at 10:43
Regular
What exactly will the future of gaming be like in say 10 years? No body knows for sure at the moment, but this is what I think it will similar to…

The graphics will be astounding, far superior to what they are now. X-box? Gamecube? Pah! Look at all those nasty square pixels, ugly. This will be almost real. Has anybody seen a preview of the movie Shrek? The graphics in it are brilliant. This is the mark videogame graphics will beat easily. Lifelike almost? I hope so.

Although this may not happen in ten years, I am sure this will happen at some point: After slipping on a head set, and have the wires and/or sensors attached to/around your body. You will be able to ‘live’ the videogame, properly. Imagine running around a level with a gun in your hand, killing all in sight. You will be in first person mode, no handsets or controllers, just your body – what you do, the game does, you see everything. Move your head, the game changes what you can see on screen. Like advanced virtually reality, like real life, only better.

You need a friend to play against in a multiplayer battle, yet none can make it over to your house at this time. What do you do? You carry on. Although the thrills of beating a mate will be gone, the thrills of beating a computer will emerge – still not quite the same, as taunting will be out of the question, but this time it will be worth it. At this moment computer players may seem to be a little stupid, walking in walls, building structures in your area. This won’t happen. The AI will be so advanced that it would be just like playing against a human player. You’ll have to double check just to make sure you aren’t!

Online play will thrive. ALL connections will be lightning quick (not just those with ADSL on their PC), you won’t notice the jogging and slow play that games today experience if you possess a 56k modem. All the consoles will come as standard with a built in super fast T1 type modem. You will think that you are playing offline because it plays so fast.

And then there is a bad point. The prices. Consoles today are always going up in price. When the N64 was released, a ‘fairish’ price of £120 was tagged onto it, which quickly fell to £100. The Dreamcast then entered at around £200, quite a lot, but worth it. Then came the PS2, weighing in at a hefty £300, which has now fallen to £270, and that is too much for me. If the future follows the pattern, which I think it will, then consoles could be getting pretty expensive. But by that time people will be richer, as the industry’s expand.
Games, I think, will slowly increase in price. PS2 games have increased by an average of £7.00 to £8.00 over PSX games (from £28.99 to about £36.00), and GBA games have increased by an average of as much as £9.00 to £10.00 from the GBC games (from £22.99 to about £32.99). Could we see games as much as 70, even eighty pounds plus? I really don’t hope so.

I believe I have covered the main aspects of future gaming, but if I haven’t, then perhaps you could fill the rest in.

Thanks for reading,
Swish
Sun 17/06/01 at 15:44
RawisAndy wrote:
> huh §w¡§µ has a good point I didn't really
> think about it like that, suppose realistic games would be quite
> good in some ways then.

Thanks!
Sun 17/06/01 at 15:44
RawisAndy wrote:
> huh §w¡§µ has a good point I didn't really
> think about it like that, suppose realistic games would be quite
> good in some ways then.

Thanks! :D
Sun 17/06/01 at 14:43
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
huh §w¡§µ has a good point I didn't really think about it like that, suppose realistic games would be quite good in some ways then.
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'm jus messing wis yas!
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:23
Can we get back to the topic? Hmmm...
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:20
Hey!
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
highly proddable, no added brains.
Sun 17/06/01 at 13:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
Swish can havea new status of mongoose??

How about that? eh?

:P
Sun 17/06/01 at 12:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Or newbie, even
Sun 17/06/01 at 12:34
Spider II wrote:
> Congrats Swish, next step... Notable for you!!!

Notable? That doesn't cound like a bad idea. Tony can I please be upgraded to a Notable instead of a regular, cheers!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.